Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2016, 14:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: My experience of helping an accident victim. UPDATE: He'll make a complete recovery!

Great Job Ninja!

Its people like you that road accidents victim pray for are around during a mishap. Its the first step that counts, which gives courage for others to follow, and you took the first brave step and others followed you on that night.
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 15:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: My experience of helping an accident victim. UPDATE: He'll make a complete recovery!

Some more information on the kid. We called up on the relative's number that we had got at the time of the incident. Good news is that the kid is doing OK and has a surgery scheduled tomorrow. The man on the other side of the phone was old (probably semi-literate) and not able to give information clearly, he said they have moved the kid to another hospital near Swargate, the name he was not able to tell. Will be following up further and see if I can meet.

They were supposed to take him to a hospital named 'Sahyadri' on Karve Road, but this Swargate hospital is new info.
My dad and uncle are like 'You dont worry, we will go and meet, tu chota hai' (I am 29 btw )

Thank you all for the kind words I am looking forward to a positive closure, till then its just a web of thoughts building up.

To answer insidwildsdi5530e, actually to think of it now, there were a couple of things that happened at that time.
- Yes, unfortunately I am not trained to follow the protocol, will have to see if can train myself on the same. Car was not equipped with any thing, the first aid kid was of no use as the injury was much more bad. Everything happened pretty fast and like I said, my brain had stopped working.

- the way he was bleeding, waiting for an ambulance on the spot would have meant he lost a lot of blood. It was dripping till the time they took him inside the Emergency Room. We reached the hospital in about 3-4 minutes.

- given the condition of the kid, unknowingly touching him at an injured place would have made things difficult for him as well as others (one of the reasons why people stay away from victims)

- the woman, his mother was not ready to let go her child off her arms. She was holding him all the time till we reached hospital. She only handed him over to the nurse. I know things could have been handled differently, but that is how it all happened.
While leaving, the doctor said he was not injured anywhere else except the head and a small bruise on foot, , he was also moving his back when being transferred in the ambulance, so I am assuming he was not having a injured spine.
NiInJa is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 15:24   #33
BHPian

Bro, please accept my compliments for showing such a fine gesture! Usually at such a site, either people watch in curiosity and move on, else become too nervous after seeing blood to apply common sense. You did a great job of showing presence of mind, offering them lift to hospital and most important - not losing your cool/senses at any point of time! Kudos.

Also, my heart goes out for that poor child who had to face all this at such a tender age without any fault of his. Wish he gets well sooner.

I not at all agree to that "brakes fail" explanation! This is the most common excuse of all time by auto/bike/cycle riders involved in a mishap. I believe it was rash driving & lost control thing, I may be completely wrong though.
Zinda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 15:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
I was heading towards the Highway at about 30 kmph when suddenly a speeding autorickshaw overtook from my left at a high speed. I was about to tell my uncle who was sitting next to me how risky that is when suddenly it skidded swerved and flipped once completely and flipped again to land bottom up right at the exit point of highway.

Thank you for helping the victims. This not only shows others to help, but also its good karma.

I've assisted twice when I witnessed accidents, and after the first incident - just a minor accident with victims just shaken, I was advised by a cop nearby to always call 100 the moment you witness an accident and give details of whatever you can, eg vehicles involved, people injured, location etc. This helps two fold - the police can get help faster than a common man and you are recorded as a person who was helping the victims.

I know the situation is changing, but we've heard of harassment stories of people who help. So be careful.

Once again thank you for helping and posting your experience on this forum. With the right awareness we can definitely bring a change in helping out the accident victims.
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 15:47   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
At Chandni Chowk, there is a entry ramp which connects Pashan road with Mumbai-Bangalore Highway (Katraj Dehuroad Bypass). The road is a steep downward slope which is usually jam-packed with traffic on working days (Speed limit is mentioned 10 kmph)
We still have good people around. And you are an example. I have a boy of same age and can understand the feeling of a parent. I thank you whole heartedly on behalf of the woman.

Yes, I very much know about that deadly incline. Every time I pass by that in my car, I feel a bit nervous about how many people drive around that area.
sups is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:07   #36
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Even I don't buy the argument that his brakes failed, but I don't understand why his wife (the kid's mom) said so, why would he misinform her. He was probably trying to save some fuel by going on neutral gear and engine off as I didn't see any smoke or smell of burning fuel at the scene, and as the auto was heavy and had gathered enough momentum on the slope the rear brakes must have not responded as expected, he must have applied the front brakes pretty hard in panic which caused it to lock and flip the auto over as the handle also turned quickly.

Some were debating the same thing in the hospital but it was all speculation, what really happened is something only the auto driver can tell. I feel bad for the kid, he is suffering for no fault of his.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:18   #37
BHPian

First of all, a big thank you. You acted like how we humans should act. I personally have never witnessed anything this severe and i hope and Pray i never have to see myself or anyone bleed or get hurt. What you did, you did perfect for that situation and non of us here can judge/expect something more perfect, we weren't there, You were.

We have 36 Crore Gods, and i know Why. Given the population size and our general tendency to take anything and everything for granted, we need these many Gods as they are constantly busy trying to save us from our own Stupidity. Poor Gods, here's a coconut from me.

I have observed these things so much so often that i believe many reach their destination purely by someones blessings:

- Bike: 1. woh brake thoda lose hai, dheere se chalana. Countless times i remember friends so casually telling this, especially when they lend their bike to someone else.

2. Speedometer kaam nahi karta. I am myself guilty of using a scooty with a non functional speedo when i just started to ride.

3. horn doesnt work. I've even got advice like, jor se chilla, sab baaji ho jayenge

4. Front tyre wobbles. When you brake that entire bike does a belly dance.

- Car: 1. Ek hi front light kaam karta hai. Drive winking everyone.

2. No clue when was the last time the car was serviced

3. Tail light tutaa hai. The person driving behind will learn the art of judgement.

4. Bald tyres. Like fultoo ganjaaa, nothing. Not even those front 4/5 hairs.

These are the conditions i have personally faced, I am sure commercial public transport vehicles are way more abused and ignored when it comes to its maintenance.

Count together the impact of all these situations, and damn we keep the Gods busy.
Dieselritzer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:22   #38

Great Job Ninja ,

That time, when you are with the victim really is so nervous and some times panicky.

I remember helping an elderly guy, when his car rammed into road side culvert, airbags pop open. Reason: he felt asleep. I was so afraid that I just stood there asking him if he was alright. He asked if I could drop him. I was not sure if I should call 108 or go ahead. He just said he is fine and his home is near by, so I went ahead and dropped him. Luckily he was wearing his seat belt, so got out with minor sprains.

Thanks
bhargavgunreddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:30   #39
BHPian

You did a wonderful job saving the boy’s life, your efforts were exemplary. Hope that the boy recovers pretty soon. Thanks for posting.

I was a victim in a similar situation almost 7 years ago and was saved by a good samaritan like you. I was riding my two wheeler and met with an accident & was lying unconscious in the middle of the road which happened at around 10:00 in the night. The person who saved my life, immediately rushed me to the hospital (45-60 minutes drive) and frantically phoned few of the last dialed numbers on my mobile not knowing whom to inform. I was in the hospital for two weeks and later recovered completely in a couple of months. I would always remember & be grateful to him throughout my life for being an angel in that situation.
cbatrody is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:40   #40
BHPian

A thing that popped up in my head was "In the current age of smart phones" we all have our phones locked for obvious security reasons, Would not this be a big deterrent in case of an accident ? Lets say Someone meets with an accident, some other guy on the road wants to help him and tries looking for phone contacts, but the phone is locked and the accident guy is knocked out. What to do in these situations ? Is it advisable to not have the phones locked ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:47   #41

RESPECT & SALUTE you for your courage NiInJa!!

I hope the boy is on the way to recovery soon. God Bless
Old 3rd May 2016, 16:50   #42
BHPian

Great Work Ninja! There are still good samaritans on earth, like you! In a head injury like this in case, what you did could have been the difference between life and death for the poor boy.

BTW, brake failure is the most clichéd excuse I have heard for rash driving. The way he overtook you from the the left at high speed on a slope is another reason why I think it is a case of reckless driving.
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
A thing that popped up in my head was "In the current age of smart phones" we all have our phones locked for obvious security reasons, Would not this be a big deterrent in case of an accident ? Lets say Someone meets with an accident, some other guy on the road wants to help him and tries looking for phone contacts, but the phone is locked and the accident guy is knocked out. What to do in these situations ? Is it advisable to not have the phones locked ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
In my wallet i have a small note which is laminated that has all the relevant contact details + my blood group.
Dieselritzer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

As someone who was once saved by two total strangers (in 1982) I salute you.

Even though it is expected of all BHPians, there are situations were some fail to rise up to the occasion, but you showed it should be done. Kudos!

I had completed first responder and first aid course/test for my licence in Germany. I was thinking of how easy it is to get a license in India and thus the abuse. There is a protocol to help in first world but that might not work in unsystematic situations created post you following the steps (personally I was reminded rather crudely by the attendant nurse that I was not the doctor, that too when simple process was pointed at) , so your effort is better than a protocol that is not in place.

God Bless!
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:56   #45
BHPian

Well Done Sir!
We need more Good Samaritans like you on our accident prone roads.
We pray to God for the boy's speedy recovery and hope that a Guardian angel like you turns up to help every accident victim in need.
Regards,
Ashok

Most Viewed