Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:40   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
More tests will happen as soon as Global NCAP can convince the poor dummies to get into another car made in India.

A great lighter moment for this thread, and one of the funniest things I've seen on T-BHP for a while! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Ok, First: You are capable of reengineering your cars in the next 18 odd months?
Second: If so, then why have you been putting this stuff out for the last few decades?
What bosses have asked me: "You say you'll do x, y and z now, so why didn't you do it before?"

What bank managers have told me: "You say you can repay this loan by spending less on x, y and z: so why didn't you save up to now?"

What I'd like to ask every politician (not party, or even country, specific) is: "You say you'll fix problems z, y and z if we elect you: how come you didn't fix them before?

Now you have added the car manufacturer question to the list: why didn't they do it before. As to the 18 months, where manufacturers are making NCAP-passing cars for other countries, but NCAP-failing cars for the India, then they don't need to re-engineer. They have the engineering. 18 months? How about tomorrow?

It would be interesting to see another column on the table of Indian-car NCAP fails: the star rating of the equivalent model made for other markets.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:53   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

A great lighter moment for this thread, and one of the funniest things I've seen on T-BHP for a while! Thank you!

What bosses have asked me: "You say you'll do x, y and z now, so why didn't you do it before?"

What bank managers have told me: "You say you can repay this loan by spending less on x, y and z: so why didn't you save up to now?"

What I'd like to ask every politician (not party, or even country, specific) is: "You say you'll fix problems z, y and z if we elect you: how come you didn't fix them before?

Now you have added the car manufacturer question to the list: why didn't they do it before. As to the 18 months, where manufacturers are making NCAP-passing cars for other countries, but NCAP-failing cars for the India, then they don't need to re-engineer. They have the engineering. 18 months? How about tomorrow?

It would be interesting to see another column on the table of Indian-car NCAP fails: the star rating of the equivalent model made for other markets.
Being proactive is not something that comes easily to our businesses. Like the "eminent" MDs/CEOs have said, we adhere to the law of the land. Even though we subscribe to various journals, explore international markets, have JVs, we understand that the "law of the land" does not require features/engineering that are scientifically proven to save humans.

But hey, there's so many of us, a few off the roads is actually helping the cause, innit.
They need a danda (coercion) to toe the line. Always.
Its shameful how a Mahindra, or MS CXO can sleep at night with a statement like the ones they made. (I am guessing on a bed of pre-washed and softened currency notes.)

A side by side model comparison?
That'll be the day. Seppuku, perhaps?
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 16:55   #378
BHPian

Wikipedia mentions that 'New Car Assessment Program' will bring Car Ratings, based on Crash Safety Performance Tests. It also says that if upgraded safety norms are followed, it will cost around 18-20 % more than the existing cost of the car.

there is a promise that by 2016, India will have 3 Crash test facilities. In fact Indian roads are testing the safety norms of the cars on every road, which makes us the nation with highest road deaths since 2006.

LINK
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bharat...ssment_Program
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:01   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debajyoti View Post
Lets take an example, Baleno has ABS & airbags standard across all variants. So any buyer of Baleno, whether they choose base, mid or top end variant is relatively safer for themselves (airbags) and others (ABS). But a buyer of base variant of say a Dzire or Swift generally have a low budget, so they will not buy the optional safety pack even if its available as an option. This is why these must be made mandatory, not just optional.
Is it possible to get the individual numbers of normal and safety pack variants in the monthly car sales thread?
This argument is equivalent to saying its mandatory for every two wheeler to be sold with two helmets. After all a poor two wheeler rider can't afford a helmet. He/she will feel the economic pinch.
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:01   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
This argument is equivalent to saying its mandatory for every two wheeler to be sold with two helmets. After all a poor two wheeler rider can't afford a helmet. He/she will feel the economic pinch.
It's the law that every two wheeler must be used while wearing a helmet.
So mandatorily, every two wheeler sold (for first time buyers at least) results (or should result) in the sale of 2 helmets - just from a different vendor.

So if the motor vehicle acts can mandate helmets for 2 wheeler users, it can very well mandate in the future compulsory airbags+ABS for 4 wheeler users - just that the airbags are integrated in the car and must be brought from the same vendor as the car.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:18   #381
srh
BHPian

As a first step, we need aggressive efforts towards legislating safety features which make the streets safer for the general road goers. If the vehicle owners/ drivers do not bother about their own safety, it is ok for them to exercise that choice. But under no circumstances should one be allowed to endanger other people. Thus even if seat belts/ air bags/ rigid passenger compartment etc. isn't made mandatory, things like ABS/ EBD/ TC/ pedestrian impact/ crumple zones etc. need to be made mandatory at the earliest.
srh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:21   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
That is actually compulsory in some city. I forgot which one.

You do realise that people never change their helmets. So, it's good move to make it compulsory to buy a new helmet with a new two-wheeler.
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:35   #383
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

You do realise that people never change their helmets. So, it's good move to make it compulsory to buy a new helmet with a new two-wheeler.
I think we need to get over this obsession with making helmets mandatory. Let people make their own choice about whether they want to be foolish or safe. Else, there can be no end to the state legislating on personal choices. Given the blatant ingress of the state into personal lives in the past, one may not be surprised that some government might decide that it is safest for the population to not venture out on the road at all
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:36   #384
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-wheelers.html

Helmet rule is mandatory in Kerala.

I'm all in support of making safety features mandatory in all variants. There are many people who choose the lowest variant of a car as they believe all these features are of no use, and music system and alloys can be added after market.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:04   #385
BHPian

News update: All the vehicles getting the prestigious zero star in global NCAP has now been exempted from any kind of tax under the Rashtriya Jansankhya Niyantran Yojna (National Population Control Scheme). For the small no of customers who are still obsessed with something silly as safety, Nissan has told us that they will be sending another variant of Kwid also known as Kwid-IV with carbon fibre reinforced driver side and passenger side made with plywood, which gets 5 stars in driver safety. Maruti will be launching a new special edition called "Securezza Edition" which gets segment first safety features like Super Shiney Chrome inserts, a new colour called Glaring Green and 10 "AIRBAG" decals inside and bold "ABS+ESP" decals outside. These decals will give the feeling of safety without the extra cost of really having them.
Debajyoti is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 20:35   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debajyoti View Post
News update: All the vehicles getting the prestigious zero star in global NCAP has now been exempted from any kind of tax under the Rashtriya Jansankhya Niyantran Yojna (National Population Control Scheme). For the small no of customers who are still obsessed with something silly as safety, Nissan has told us that they will be sending another variant of Kwid also known as Kwid-IV with carbon fibre reinforced driver side and passenger side made with plywood, which gets 5 stars in driver safety. Maruti will be launching a new special edition called "Securezza Edition" which gets segment first safety features like Super Shiney Chrome inserts, a new colour called Glaring Green and 10 "AIRBAG" decals inside and bold "ABS+ESP" decals outside. These decals will give the feeling of safety without the extra cost of really having them.
The sarcasm is high with this one!
Wait - the sticker mod "Securezza Edition" just might become a reality considering the prevalence of sticker mod 'RS' or 'Sports' editions !
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 21:54   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
I think we need to get over this obsession with making helmets mandatory.
Too late. It's done already, isn't it? At a national level. Sadly, although states may not be able to over-ride the national law, they can determine whether it gets enforced or not.

Quote:
Let people make their own choice about whether they want to be foolish or safe.
Consider the implications of a biker involved in an accident with your vehicle.

Quote:
Else, there can be no end to the state legislating on personal choices. Given the blatant ingress of the state into personal lives in the past, one may not be surprised that some government might decide that it is safest for the population to not venture out on the road at all
OK, let's compromise heret: No need to wear a helmet when riding a bike in one's own house?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 23:04   #388
BHPian

Indian auto industry is still in its infancy.Before throwing bricks at mahindra or Renault one must understand that even detroit produced unsafe cars at one point of time.

As long as entry level cars replace the family scooter,its a big improvement in safety.

I saw Ratan Tata explaining how he came up with the nano project after seeing a family on a scooter battling mumbai rains.I think the project is partly humanitarian.

Today all we can ask is a decent body shell and a driver airbag maybe.

Implementing US or Euro spec crash tests will put cars out of reach for most.

Personally I would like to see manufacturers improve safety in entry level by eliminating features like air con,fog lamps,power steering and sterio ,which will keep the costs down and they can use this margin to improve safety.
Captain Haddock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 23:41   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Yup - I checked the online brochures. No pretensioners in Polo. or the i20. Even sadder is the fact that the i10 lost the same in the Grand i10 avatar. Jazz advertises it, though it's missing in the brochure.
This innocuous sounding feature is truly an important feature for any car. Last year my car was rear-ended by someone who didn't notice the signal was red at around 80-90 kmph.
I realized I was hit when the seat-belt tightened so much that it was difficult to breath. It was easy for me to walk out of the crash without a scratch and with no whiplash was entirely due to a strong mechanical design and a seat belt pre-tensioner.
acurafan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 23:59   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
This innocuous sounding feature is truly an important feature for any car. Last year my car was rear-ended by someone who didn't notice the signal was red at around 80-90 kmph.
I realized I was hit when the seat-belt tightened so much that it was difficult to breath. It was easy for me to walk out of the crash without a scratch and with no whiplash was entirely due to a strong mechanical design and a seat belt pre-tensioner.
Sorry for a little Off topic question, Which car was your's? Just curious to know since you mentioned the seat belts became very tight.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks