Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2016, 16:50   #76
BHPian

re: More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Kwid I Vs Kwid III
Looking at the first picture makes me cringe
I could be mistaken, but I have never seen a car with its floor deformed in a crash test.
Old 17th May 2016, 16:50   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Why test non-airbag variants when airbags are available across variants. Not that it will make much difference since the structure is collapsing but scores might improve a bit.
The standard NCAP policy is to test the base model of each car so that the baseline is established. You know what you are getting even when you buy the base model.
reignofchaos is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 16:53   #78
BHPian

The fate of the scorpio somewhat reveals the total lack of safety engineering in case of Mahindra! I don't expect much improvements in the TUV300. Just hope the XUV500 atleast gets a 3star rating!
Old 17th May 2016, 16:57   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Frankly, a child is unsafe even in a 5* rated car if he/she is not properly restrained in an infant seat or a child seat or a booster seat (depending on the child's age).
Thats right but since the child safety tests are done using these child/booster seats, it more worrying that the cars could manage only 1 & 2 stars for child safety
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 16:59   #80
Senior - BHPian

Got to say that I'm not surprised with the Scorpio's result.

For those who think more metal is better, think again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nit787 View Post
I hope to see the NCAP results for New Ford Figo.
I'll not be surprised if it does well. Wish GNCAP would test the titanium+ version and base version together and release results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
The lesson that I learnt from these recent results: Airbags don't make a car safe. It has to be engineered for safety.
Yes. SRS stands for "Supplementary restraint system."
The crumple zone matters the most in the event of a crash. It should absorb all the impact and not transfer it to the body shell.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 17:03   #81
Senior - BHPian

We should blame the manufacturers for giving us substandard products. I'm saying this because the same models offered in European soil offers more protection.

But we have to see the bigger picture here. The manufacturer can give all the safety features as they like, but we have to use them, right.

Take the example of seat belts, how many of us make sure that all of us belt up in the car. I have seen a trend in my circle, where they think only people sitting the front should wear the seat belts.

I always make a conscious effort of educating my relatives on the importance of the seat belts. Always keep nagging them asking, whether they are wearing seat belts or not when they pick up the phone on the move.

My mom got irritated by my constant nagging.

An interesting conversation with my mom few weeks back.

Mom: Why are you still continuing to teach them the importance of the seat belts, they are not going to wear them, anyway.
Me: I will continue to do so until they wear them voluntarily. BTW, let us forget about the relatives, are you wearing the seat belt all the time? (Emotional blackmail )
Mom: Hmm, okay, I will wear it all the time from now on.

My dad is the only exception, he will always wear seatbelt no matter where he sits.

So my friends, lets continue to educate our friends, relatives et al about the importance of seat belts, defensive driving etc.

Another important thing, I try to educate is, these safety features(ABS, ESP etc) are not fool proof, its there as a safety net incase something goes wrong. You shouldn't be taking unnecessary risk thing that there is a safety net to back you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Looking at the first picture makes me cringe
I could be mistaken, but I have never seen a car with its floor deformed in a crash test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAP
Renault Kwid

Following safety improvements Renault proposed that Global NCAP test an updated evolution of the Kwid in production from early April 2016. The car was tested with and without an airbag.

The structure did not collapse however it was rated as unstable and that it could not withstand further loadings. It was possible to see the structural reinforcements implemented in this version of the Kwid but when Global NCAP checked the left (passenger) side, there were no reinforcements. The structure was reinforced only on the driver side
See, the Kwid III is equally unsafe as the Kwid I, if the crash was on the passenger side. .

I would like to congratulate Volvo for their ethos in making the cars more safe.
With the introduction of seat belts and others. IIRC when GNCAP introduced the
'small front overlap crash test', they where the only manufacturer to have their car pass the test, even the mighty BMW's and Audi's failed miserably.

See, here with Renault, they just wanted to have their car pass the test not want their car to be safer, per se.

Last edited by ecenandu : 17th May 2016 at 17:20.
ecenandu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 17:17   #82
BHPian

I think the current Ford Figo might score a few stars atleast! Remember the last generation Figo had a stable body shell! So now even with the Base variant getting airbags as standard, it should do well! Hope Ford hasn't cut corners here!
Old 17th May 2016, 17:17   #83
BHPian

All the macho "butch" looks matter nothing. Scorpio is a case, eye opener indeed. I think the sharply upright windshield and its narrow angle wrt the roof over A pillar added to the deforming of scorpio roof (I may be wrong though). I am guessing that TUV, Xylo/Quanto/nuvosport would also deliver similar results due to the same design elements.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 17:19   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

They should have added a bullbar upfront to the Scorpio for that test. Could have prevented most of the damage - an average Indian.

Unless our govt gives due importance to fundamentally safer cars, it is not gonna happen. Manufacturers are least bothered about passenger safety, only thing they really care about is $$$. Safety features are only introduced if a competitor does it or a regulation making it compulsory comes along. That is why we need legislators who can see through the alarming road fatality statistics and push for a bill mandating a basic crash safety rating along with compulsory safety features like ABS, Airbags.
Dry Ice is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 17:42   #85
Senior - BHPian

Re: More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If Scorpio fails, that still leaves us in the dark regarding newer products like XUV and TUV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebzgeo89 View Post
The fate of the scorpio somewhat reveals the total lack of safety engineering in case of Mahindra! I don't expect much improvements in the TUV300. Just hope the XUV500 atleast gets a 3star rating!
XUV5OO had received a 4* rating in ANCAP, we can expect it to perform similarly in G-NCAP :

raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 17:44   #86
BHPian

I am not very surprised with the results of Maruti and Renault but Scorpio results surprised me. We always considered is a tough vehicle and Mahindra as a tough car maker. I have been eyeing an SUV for quite some and Scorpio was on the radar. It will be a total No no now. One can assume that pretty much every Mahindra car except for the XUV is going to fare the same.

Shouldn't one be looking at the pseudo SUVs now. I do understand they are not the same thing but atleast you get safety and better driveability. I remember Ecosport fared excellent some time back. How about a Ecosport 4X4 A little larger Ecosport (breadth-wise) with 4X4 would present a formidable alternative.

Anxiously waiting for the new Figo and Aspire tests.
AKTRACK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 17:49   #87
RSR
Senior - BHPian

While the first Renault Kwid's result was surely on expected lines, it's very sad that even the updated one with a driver airbag got a 0* rating with its bodyshell integrity classified as unstable.

Renault may be trying to improve the Kwid even further in order to get an acceptable G-NCAP rating, but I hope they don't resort to shortcuts as mentioned in the report (strengthening only the driver's side).

Renault-Nissan were already exposed by G-NCAP for the shameful performance of the Datsun GO. It doesn't reflect well on their part if they keep getting hammered again and again by G-NCAP for the safety of their new breed of A-segment cars. This is simply not what one expects from companies led by the visionary Carlos Ghosn!

Pull up your socks and get your companies to act on the safety of the new breed of affordable cars, Monsieur Ghosn!

I'd rather have Renault-Nissan-Datsun completely exit the A-segments worldwide, instead of blindly chasing numbers in the affordable segments in the developing world. Remember what happened to Volkswagen in their unconcealable urge to overtake Toyota and become the numero uno!

There is a huge lesson that Carlos Ghosn must learn from the Volkswagen diesel emissions cheating episode. Numbers don't matter at all! Reputation is what matters most in the long run for an automaker!

Renault-Nissan surely have the expertise & resources, no doubts on that! The basic and affordable Dacias always manage to get acceptable to decent safety ratings in Euro-NCAP.

They only require the will to do it! I'm eagerly waiting for G-NCAP to test the updated Kwid & all the Datsuns. I hope they make (at least) a driver airbag standard across the range and go for voluntary testing with G-NCAP soon.

Last edited by RSR : 17th May 2016 at 18:18.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 17:51   #88
BHPian

Are we really still not paying enough for safe cars? My uncle bought a Scorpio for 5.7 lakhs around 2005 and the same sells for more than twice the price now. We are buying premium hatchbacks for near a million rupees and entry level ones for 5 lakhs these days! Is it still not enough?
mi2n is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 18:03   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Renault-Nissan were already exposed by G-NCAP for the shameful performance of the Datsun GO. It doesn't reflect well on their part if they keep getting hammered again and again by G-NCAP for the safety of their new breed of A-segment cars. This is simply not what one expects from companies led by the visionary Carlos Ghosn!

Pull up your socks and get your companies to act on the safety of the new breed of affordable cars, Monsieur Ghosn!
Well, in fairness they dont care really, as long as they get their ratings and sales numbers!

After seeing so many results like this, and encouraging statements like "our cars meet current regulations in India" and other horse dung, we can conclude that car manufacturers here dont really care.

The irresponsibility of auto makers is mind bending. A few few recent examples:
- GM not acknowledging issue with A pedals
- Honda not accepting problems with Airbags
- VW covering up Emissions scandal

By the way, Cars in Europe are built safer because of strict regulation in place. Auto manufacturers are not doing any charity by making safe cars there. They are forced to do it.

Sadly, in India, our dim witted Govt slept for years before thinking of introducing crash safety.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 18:08   #90
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What horrific videos! The Kwid crumpled like tissue paper, although its direct competitors (Alto, Eon etc.) fare no better.

Just to refresh everyone's memory, this is how 4-star cars perform in the NCAP:

As things stand today, if you want safety under 4 lakh rupees, your best bet is the pre-owned car market.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks