Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2016, 13:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tests results of the 7 cars tested by Global NCAP. ( Crash Videos and report in the below link)
Following safety improvements Renault proposed that Global NCAP test an updated evolution of the Kwid in production from early April 2016. The car was tested with and without an airbag.

http://www.globalncap.org/zero-stars...p-crash-tests/
Thank you for sharing the results of the tests. Its indeed an eye opener. Even though these 7 cars all scored a Zero Star rating, its heartening to note that the KWID is now atleast structurally much stronger than the earlier version.

I was also extremely surprised at the results of the Scorpio crash test. I like many others obviously thought that this was a safe car, especially since it has such a macho image. Boy, was I wrong and how?

Anyways, a big thank you to Global NCAP for doing these tests and keeping us updated in the absence of independent test reports being published by the government agencies/ARAI or by manufacturers.

These 7 cars will be off the list for me and my friends/families.
Lalvaz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 13:58   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Following safety improvements Renault proposed that Global NCAP test an updated evolution of the Kwid in production from early April 2016. The car was tested with and without an airbag.

Renault has confirmed that they will implement further improvements to the KWID and Global NCAP will test these new evolutions in forthcoming crash tests.
This is really surprising, especially after GNCAP's rap for Datsun GO hatchback on compromised structure. Datsun being a part of Renault-Nissan alliance, still Renault commits same mistake of providing sub-standard structure for early batches . They should have incorporated Datsun GO's feedback right from the beginning in Renault Kwid. They have in a way remain ignorant and taken us for granted the way Maruti-Suzuki did. If I am not wrong, Maruti-Suzuki just made announcements of ABS & Airbags but never commented on improving overall structure of Alto . Atleast, Renault took cognizance of suggestions based on results and provided an improved structure for test.

Last edited by manson : 17th May 2016 at 14:04.
varunswnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 14:02   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Kwid I Vs Kwid III

Wow, what about the customers who bought the first version.
Yes this looks even worse than the Datsun Go (or at least as bad). It's good that they are making improvements to subsequent versions but I feel bad for the buyers of the first Kwid.

Last edited by JonSnow : 17th May 2016 at 14:03.
Old 17th May 2016, 14:13   #49
mxh
BHPian

As we've seen before, Maruti, Hyundai and Renault are crooked companies only after profits and not the least bothered about safety or their customers lives. They will make the changes only when people either stop buying their cars, or when their cars are banned due to failing the crash test.

The last one, Mahindra, may not be crooked but clearly doesn't know how to even make safe cars since their cars are so heavy, but still the structure collapses miserably on impact.
mxh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 14:24   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
As we've seen before, Maruti, Hyundai and Renault are crooked companies only after profits and not the least bothered about safety or their customers lives. They will make the changes only when people either stop buying their cars, or when their cars are banned due to failing the crash test.

The last one, Mahindra, may not be crooked but clearly doesn't know how to even make safe cars since their cars are so heavy, but still the structure collapses miserably on impact.
Hope they test the other companies as well! Really want to find out how FIAT, new generation TATAs (Tiago or Hexa), Honda (Amaze) etc fare in terms of crash safety.

Even Mahindra, is that the new generation Scorpio? I would have liked if they tested newer and more relevant products like XUV or TUV.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th May 2016 at 14:28.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 14:31   #51
Senior - BHPian

The tests explain why we see so many deaths in road accidents. I am sure these seven are not the only one to fail, many will add if all cars are tested. My Alto K10 would get negative stars if that was a possibility. More appalling is the attitude of the government which keeps dragging its feet on the issue just to please the automobile lobby.

However, the tests are not entirely surprising and confirms that we invented zero.
sourabhzen is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 14:37   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
As we've seen before, Maruti, Hyundai and Renault are crooked companies only after profits and not the least bothered about safety or their customers lives.
You may want to rethink the statement after seeing the image below. The Celerio structure is absolutely intact. It may appear strange to many of us, considering that the India Swift had its structure deemed unable to withstand any further load in an earlier test

And yes, the Eon's structure collapsed. So Kwid is definitely a better bet in its segment.
Attached Thumbnails
More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all-celerio.jpg  

dheepak10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 14:48   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I would have liked if they tested newer and more relevant products like XUV or TUV.
Scorpio sells 4k+ every month, which is close to what both XUV + TUV combined sell. Why Scorpio isn't relevant?
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 14:54   #54
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
You may want to rethink the statement after seeing the image below. The Celerio structure is absolutely intact. It may appear strange to many of us, considering that the India Swift had its structure deemed unable to withstand any further load in an earlier test
And you might want to rethink your post. The ncap report of the Celerio clearly states and I quote - "The bodyshell was rated as unstable and can not withstand further loadings."
Old 17th May 2016, 14:54   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Global NCAP to conduct another round of tests for Indian cars which will include 2 more OEMs & 4th version of Kwid

https://twitter.com/autocarpro

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th May 2016 at 14:58.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 15:00   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post

And yes, the Eon's structure collapsed. So Kwid is definitely a better bet in its segment.
Both statements are incorrect.

Celerio's bodyshell has been rated unstable. Source

Kwid III's bodyshell has been rated unstable. Source

Summary: All the cars tested lately have unstable bodyshell and are unfit for airbags.
DevilsCry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 15:03   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Global NCAP to conduct another round of tests for Indian cars which will include 2 more OEMs & 4th version of Kwid
One will have to really appreciate Renault for at least trying something to make it better.

As a regular member of this knowledgeable forum there is no surprise in the results, as this was expected.

The only surprise to me is the mighty Scorpio. I still dont understand how the Celerio's body shell remains intact while Scorpio has just given up
Old 17th May 2016, 15:08   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Scorpio sells 4k+ every month, which is close to what both XUV + TUV combined sell. Why Scorpio isn't relevant?
I need to get my facts straight then! The old timer is doing better (unfortunately) than I expected.

However, I still believe XUV represents the best of Mahindra. If it fails, we can be sure every other Mahindra would fail.

If Scorpio fails, that still leaves us in the dark regarding newer products like XUV and TUV. I know Scorpio is a newer model than XUV in its latest generation, but I refuse to believe they engineered it group up. TUV is based on Scorpio chassis too!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 15:08   #59

Isn't it (Renault Kwid) the TBHP car of the year for 2015?
This is a real eye opener for all of us. I hope to see the NCAP results for New Ford Figo.
nit787 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 15:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

I hope people realize that more weight is not equal to safe. So maybe there's a big chance that a 5 star rated hatch (i20 with 6 airbags) is probably much safer than a big & almost double the weight Scorpio or a bolero.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed