Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2016, 15:38   #61
BHPian

Scorpio and 6 others fail NCAP test

6 cars including the mighty scorpio have failed the NCAP tests. Worst still, celerio scored 1 star for child occupants. Full article below -

NEW DELHI: Seven popular cars failed in crash tests carried by Global New Car Assessment Programme (NCAP), a UK based organisation. All the seven cars scored zero stars for adults on safety parameters when these were crashed at 64 kmph speed.
The cars tested were Hyundai Eon, Maruti Suzuki Eeco, Maruti Celerio, Mahindra Scorpio and three models of Renault Kwid.
So far Global NCAP has tested 16 vehicles in the past three years and only two vehicles of Toyota and Volkswagen scored four star ratings for adult occupants.
Among the seven cars tested this time six scored two stars for child occupants and Maruti Celerio scored one.

Link to source

MODs - please merge/delete if there is an existing thread on this. Tried searching and did not find one.
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 15:49   #62
Senior - BHPian

re: More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all

The way Kwid and the Scorpio crumped is beyond scary. I really wonder how good TUV300 and Quanto are given they are based on the same basic platform.

http://www.autocarpro.in/news-nation...age/2?id=19847

Here is the video of the Scorpio crash test!

P.S. Turns out the videos for all the crash tests are out!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm5...3lkMmyJAyBTycQ
extreme_torque is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 16:06   #63
BHPian

I wonder why we don't see any Tata car getting tested for NCAP. Tata is the only company in India to boast of a certified crash test facility.
The lesson that I learnt from these recent results: Airbags don't make a car safe. It has to be engineered for safety.
It is sad to see Renault selling an unsafe product knowing that a lot of people will take it out on the highway. I think they have understood the Indian market well-Looks+FE+Lots of chrome=a hit product.
I was surprised to see the Scorpio getting crushed. I wonder what the other people movers (Bolero, Maxx, Sumo etc) would show. Majority of the traffic in rural India is constituted by these cars.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 17th May 2016 at 16:09.
Nissan1180 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 16:09   #64
Senior - BHPian

While the shell of Kwid III & Celerio seem ok, the steering actually seems to be pushed towards the driver. That would actually cause serious, if not fatal, head injuries. No wonder it says that even airbags wouldn't help. I thought they should all be scoring better on child protection, but looking closely at the Celerio crash, it seems the seat belts are not doing a good job in keeping the child seats fixed. That's why they probably score low on child protection.

Last edited by asr245 : 17th May 2016 at 16:10.
asr245 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 16:15   #65
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Re: Scorpio and 6 others fail NCAP test

Pathetic and disgusting are the words that come to mind as far as Indian manufacturers' attitude towards safety is concerned!

More vehicles join the Indian safety hall of shame by scoring a hopeless 0* for adult occupant protection - Renault Kwid (all three versions tested, including one with a driver airbag), Hyundai Eon, Maruti Suzuki Eeco, Maruti Suzuki Celerio and Mahindra Scorpio - not only did they all score a shameful (but rather expected) *zero stars* for adult occupant safety, but ALL of them had their bodyshell integrity classified as *unstable* as well:

More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all-table.jpg

Full report: http://www.globalncap.org/zero-stars...p-crash-tests/

Last edited by RSR : 17th May 2016 at 16:30.
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 16:17   #66
Senior - BHPian

This is a shocking result for the Scorpio!
It fares out to be extremely unsafe, with a body shell that has completely crumbled and disintegrated. What a pathetic result.
Even the Kwid and celerio have fared better.
Truly, this result is an eye opener.
It proves that there are a lot of factors which contribute to crash worthiness, rather than just the sheer weight of body panels.
abhishek46 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 16:17   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
its heartening to note that the KWID is now atleast structurally much stronger than the earlier version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
Atleast, Renault took cognizance of suggestions based on results and provided an improved structure for test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
It's good that they are making improvements to subsequent versions but I feel bad for the buyers of the first Kwid.
I think we missed reading this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAP
Renault Kwid

Following safety improvements Renault proposed that Global NCAP test an updated evolution of the Kwid in production from early April 2016. The car was tested with and without an airbag.

The structure did not collapse however it was rated as unstable and that it could not withstand further loadings. It was possible to see the structural reinforcements implemented in this version of the Kwid but when Global NCAP checked the left (passenger) side, there were no reinforcements. The structure was reinforced only on the driver side.
As we see the sentence in bold, they are no better than the other manufacturers. Just that while people like Maruti and Hyundai covered up by offering some safety options, Renault was clever enough to improve cars to pass the test. If the same offset collision is performed on the passenger side of the car, with no reinforcements, the structure would have collapsed again. They cleverly strengthened only the drivers side so that it would pass the test.

Eeco is a complete downer for me. Its too powerful and too less safe for a car. The hood is just there for the namesake. Not sure why they even need one. The scorpio was a surprise for me considering the fact that I was havign some thoughts of buying one. I had the impression it was tough but seeing the way the wheel ploughed into the firewall, it will have a nice hit to the drivers leg. Maybe its the weight of the car and the resulting momentum that creates so much damage.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 16:19   #68
BHPian

Best thing about these tests is media coverage and (negative) publicity car companies get due to it. This will help in increasing overall awareness in customers which is the only other way apart from forcing by law to have more safer vehicles.

Last edited by Vishal.R : 17th May 2016 at 16:23.
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 16:22   #69
BHPian

Omg! I have seen people doing 100+ kmph on highways with eons and celerio. I always wondered how they are doing it,especially with the bouncy nature of eon at that speed. I guess a crash at those speeds will be instant death after seeing these results :( Hope government implements strict norms and our highways become safe.
Old 17th May 2016, 16:26   #70
BHPian

Celerio getting a 1 star for child occupants is worrisome because I have seen a lot of ladies driving their kids to school in it that too making them sit in front seats. Have a couple of ladies in my society itself who have purchased a celerio just to drop and pick up the kids. We can argue saying that they might have brought it to drive within city limits but a rashly driven truck could be a major concern even while in city putting the occupants at a risk.
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 16:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

The Scorpio is especially appalling given that even the airbags won't be of much help. That structure collapse reminded me of the crash test videos I saw for erstwhile cheaply made Chinese cars.

Worst drivers, worst road discipline, worst roads infrastructure, worst planning and unsafe cars.... Can there be a more deadly cocktail? And yet our attitude towards safety is lacklustre to absolute ignorance at best.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 17th May 2016 at 16:44.
extreme_torque is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 16:34   #72
BHPian

Not a pretty sight to see cars being crumpled like paper in an impact at moderate enough speeds. However, it beats me as to what is the process for selection of models and variants. I am sure no one expects cars like eon and celerio to pass NCAP tests with flying colours and receive 5 star ratings. Why test non-airbag variants when airbags are available across variants. Not that it will make much difference since the structure is collapsing but scores might improve a bit.

I had seen several base model i10 in Germany a couple of years back and I am sure, if subjected to tests, those would perform similarly.

Tata cars, by their absence are conspicuous indeed. And why not test XUV (assuming TUV, KUV and all are new) instead of Scorpio?
Old 17th May 2016, 16:35   #73
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Celerio getting a 1 star for child occupants is worrisome because I have seen a lot of ladies driving their kids to school in it that too making them sit in front seats. Have a couple of ladies in my society itself who have purchased a celerio just to drop and pick up the kids.
Frankly, a child is unsafe even in a 5* rated car if he/she is not properly restrained in an infant seat or a child seat or a booster seat (depending on the child's age).

The way many (perhaps most) Indian parents travel with their precious kids in cars is very, very worrying indeed!
RSR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 16:44   #74
BHPian

Was eagerly waiting for this to come out! Nothing surprising. I might be wrong here but I think the Celerio scored a 3star safety rating at the Euro NCAP. So again a compromised body shell hand made for India?
And Renault strengthening the driver side only! What's that all about?
Old 17th May 2016, 16:45   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Tata cars, by their absence are conspicuous indeed. And why not test XUV (assuming TUV, KUV and all are new) instead of Scorpio?
I saw crash test video of Tata Zest during our plant visit. It was not scary like this (but do not know their test parameters though).
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks