Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2016, 09:45   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all

Just a thought process: As far as my understanding goes, majority of fatal accidents in India are because cars are either getting hit or hitting trucks/buses or heavy vehicles on our roads. Most get killed or maimed because of significant in cabin penetration because there is no under-run protection on our heavy vehicles. Naturally vehicles which are closer to the roads (hatchbacks and sedans) suffer more since they go right under the trucks, but vehicles like SUV fare better because they are tall enough to hit the truck's body and don't roll under the vehicle. In such cases, airbags will deploy on SUV but will sadly not deploy in a sedan. Also a sedan will be able to maneuver better, but the SUV may be more safe because the driver can see and avoid accidents merely due much better visibility of the road, over other cars.
Even in the much discussed Scorpio crash test, the body did crumple and the roof too caved in a bit, however the windshield didn't break, the engine or dashboard didn't intrude into the passenger space, and neither of the driver/co driver dummies hit their head on the dashboard. Now consider the same Scorpio hitting the rear end of a stationary truck at the same 64kmph versus a Polo going under the truck at 64 kph, which car would have fatalities?
I am not saying that the Scorpio is a safer car as per NCAP or the Polo is less safer, but I feel on Indian roads, in Indian conditions I may well be able to walk out of a Scorpio than a Polo, when I crash into a truck or a bus
Old 18th May 2016, 09:45   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Suzuki Celerio scored only 1 star in child safety (all others scored atleast 2).

I have a feeling its a seat belt issue because the baby car seat is all over the place during impact.

Yes it is due to the seat installation for the low score.

More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all-capture.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 09:51   #168
Senior - BHPian

A lot of people are focussing on the speed at which these crashes have been conducted. Well, why doesn't Maruti and the others release crash test videos conducted by ARAI at 56kmph?

Currently no one from MSIL shares the crash test rating of the new Scross or the Baleno or the Ciaz. What are they hiding from us?

Transparency is key in today's world. No longer can you make inferior products for India. We simply refuse to buy them.
Old 18th May 2016, 10:00   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Just watched RC Bhargava dismissing the reports on CNBC.
He mentioned that the standard tests are done at 56kmph and they meet the govt regulations. These are random voluntary tests done at 64kmph so not worth thinking about.
Also another point he said was that 56kmph translates to 112 kmph in real world. How is that possible!
This is simply not true. Under the EURO NCAP the car is crashed into a static deformable barrier at 64 kmph! There are no relative speeds at play here even if they crashed at 56kmph.

But then again, he can say whatever wants to. Irrespective the masses will still go out and buy Maruti's by the thousands.
Old 18th May 2016, 10:03   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Also another point he said was that 56kmph translates to 112 kmph in real world. How is that possible!
Maybe he meant two cars travelling at 56 km/h, in opposite directions, colliding head on
Old 18th May 2016, 10:08   #171
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash_1 View Post
Maybe he meant two cars travelling at 56 km/h, in opposite directions, colliding head on
Which seems incorrect as the cars are crashed into a static barrier. So combined speed is only 56 kmph.
Anyway, it's Maruti. They wouldn't even worry about making the right noises in PR.
They know the car gonna sell,
No matter what the test gonna tell,
Because for the public, all izz well
Old 18th May 2016, 10:20   #172
Senior - BHPian

Defiant Maruti says co not in violation of crash tests in India

The vehicle safety group Global NCAP's report on Tuesday said that as many as five popular passenger vehicle car models in India, including Maruti Celerio, Renault Kwid, Mahindra Scorio and Hyundai Eon, failed crash tests with 'zero star' rating.

Reacting to the report, RC Bhargava, Chariman, Maruti Suzuki India said the GNCAP is a voluntary standard and no country requires you to pass its standards. So there is no fear of exports being hit, he added.

Full article: http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...a_6682381.html

He is not worried of exports being hit, but what about the safety of the people travelling in their cars???

Last edited by SnS_12 : 18th May 2016 at 10:22.
SnS_12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 10:32   #173
BHPian

I think, the Hatchback models which are sold globally, are atleast structurally capable models, when comes to safety. I guess, Only Polo, Punto, Swift and Beat (with airbags) are safe cars (Tata vista and Etios Liva also might be). Just my opinion. Though manufacturers may have reduced the sheet metal gauge, but structural rigidity is something which cant be tweaked.
Old 18th May 2016, 10:45   #174
BHPian

The Scorpio shown in the video is without an airbag.
Not that an airbag will improve its core performance but M&M does offer optional airbags right from the base model.
Old 18th May 2016, 10:46   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

What an irony.

A close relative's Duster crashed the same day these results were declared. The occupants are safe - no serious injuries. Front passenger has a hairline fracture on the left hand. No occupants on the rear seat. The car is a total loss, and the owner while looking for a replacement, was zeroing in on the Scorpio S10. I sent him this link and the report in PDF. Suffice to say he is reconsidering his decision.

Sharing a few pictures - If it was only a frontal hit, the cabin would have remained fairly intact. Speeds were higher than what the crash tests are conducted at.

More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all-whatsappimage20160517.jpg

More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all-whatsappimage20160517-1.jpg

More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all-whatsappimage20160517-2.jpg

More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all-whatsappimage20160517-3.jpg
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 10:46   #176
rkg
Senior - BHPian

It seems GNCAP guys bought the models from open market without mentioning about crash test. That's very nice of them. Otherwise Indian manufacturers send proper car for NCAP test and boast about the results, while in reality they are selling inferior stuff in India.
One of my collegues son did apprenticeship in Toyota Bidadi plant as a part of his Btech prograame. He told me the innova's exported have an engine with too many sensors, where as Indian version engine does not have all these sensors.
rkg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 10:49   #177
Senior - BHPian

Couple of days ago had two people I know die because of collision. Most hatchbacks and small cars being from Maruti (and Hyundai) are involved in these fatal accidents. Safety on these cars are laughable and they need to take safety seriously.

Dont even see a plan from the govt for safety. What norms in how many number of years etc.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 10:52   #178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
It seems GNCAP guys bought the models from open market without mentioning about crash test. That's very nice of them.
That's their standard procedure. They also select the lowest variants for the crash tests. Otherwise, our car companies would send the highest variant with airbags while selling the lowest variant to the unsuspecting customers as 5 star rated cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Dont even see a plan from the govt for safety. What norms in how many number of years etc.
Already announced. There is another thread running for this.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 18th May 2016 at 10:53.
Old 18th May 2016, 10:53   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
The Scorpio unstable? Have you seen the video? It folded up like a house of cards or an accordion, if you like. All the air-bags in the world won't save any one inside in a full frontal crash.
I think we are saying the same thing. 'Unstable' seems to be the terminology used by NCAP to indicate a compromised structure. Which in our layman terms is exactly as you have mentioned. Crumples like paper and airbags are irrelevant in such a scenario.

Wish they do a test of the XUV. we always talk about how well equipped it is for the price at which it is offered. Now wondering if that VFM factor is helped by compromises on structural stability and build.

Another learning would be that a big heavy looking build need not translate into good safety-As shown by the Scorpio and at the same time a light build need not translate into bad crash ratings-As shown by the Toyota Etios which has been ridiculed for its light and flimsy looking/feeling build but still scored 4 stars.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 18th May 2016 at 10:58.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 10:56   #180
BHPian

Seeing how all of the entry level hatchbacks have failed the test, I am wondering what is the most affordable car in India one can buy right now which does pass the Global NCAP? Is it the VW Polo?

Most Viewed