Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2016, 13:52   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nit787 View Post
Isn't it (Renault Kwid) the TBHP car of the year for 2015?
Mods: Do we want to edit Kwid's review and add that its an unsafe car and probably put in a reference to the results link. I mean shouldn't we do it for each car that's coming out with GNCAP results.

I understand that in our reviews there's no way to test safety standards but when we have substantial evidence it would only help a prospective buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

Were you guys expecting anything different?
Making a car crash worthy is a science. WIthout laws to force the manufacturers to test this, instead of providing a "Stylish Gearknob with LED light", they couldn't have "accidentally" made a 5 Star vehicle. "Sir, we got 5 Stars!". "O teri!! Sweets for the staff. Mirchi nimbu for the cars!"
This had me in splits.

What Indian NCAP though? Is there a thing such as Indian NCAP. I thought it was just Global and then ASEANCAP.
fine69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 14:04   #212
BHPian

Because of all this negative publicity to the respective manufacturers can we expect an end to this one point pursuit of highest ARAI mileage numbers. This has led to lighter and lighter cars over the years. Some figures to be pondered upon, a wagon VXI weighs as much as a Baleno 1.2 zeta and the Celerio which was crash tested weighs 70kg less than wagonR. Another interesting fact, Kwid weighing less than a Nano GenX and the Datsun redigo some 25 kg less than Kwid!
People may not take Nano on highways since its not capable of high speeds, but they may feel a false sense of safety in a Kwid/Redigo because of the larger dimensions and the capability of achieving much higher speeds than a Nano.
damodar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 14:08   #213
Senior - BHPian

Renault Kwid I is scary! Just knowing it is that badly unsafe is probably its best safety feature - driver fears for his/her life

I trawled the internet, looking for an equivalent terrible car. Finally found this:

Rover 100, originally named the Metro, is a car designed in the 1980's.
Renault Kwid was designed in the 2010's. Isn't the similarity between these two cars amazing?
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 14:09   #214
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio failing the crash test must be an eye opener for those Indian buyers who think, The bigger the car the safer it is, What's shocking is most of these car's are highest selling products!

Not being a fanboy of VW, But the combo of germans with their Built quality + Air bags as standards can be life saving and are a really good move.
Old 18th May 2016, 14:10   #215
BHPian

Global NCAP should also test cars that has already been tested like VW POLO etc.
One of the VW mechanic who is well known to my father, who has 2010 version of VW POLO told him that the current versions of Polo doesn't have the same build quality as it used to be.
I am not sure how much of his claim is authentic. GNCAP should definitely test already tested vehicle otherwise manufacturers would sell flimsy build car subsequently after the tests.

Let's wait for the crash test results from other European Cars apart from Kwid.
redcruiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 14:10   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
And for all those, including myself, who thought the Mighty muscular scorpio was indestructible, look at the video. Very sad to see the roof caving in, though the A pillar seem to be intact.
Good its an eye opener for you and all those who thought Indian cars can survive a crash. I never believed so.
Structural strength apart, the absence of airbags, safety systems, poor designs, and cost cutting makes all vehicles we buy in India unsafe.

Except the luxury vehicles. Or the expensive ones with all safety features not skimmed off.
harpreetkanwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 14:12   #217
BANNED

Let me respond on a humorous note. We have the supreme NCAP protection - the architect of the Universe above.

We do not want to wear helmets and seatbelts (unfortunately! cops force us to), drive on old bald tyres, have no idea of lane discipline (what is that!), stop in the middle of the road whenever we feel like it, want to drive like a Michael Schumacher (or should I say Lewis Hamilton) on a F1 track in town , and so on.
sgiitk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 14:13   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Global NCAP should also test cars that has already been tested like VW POLO etc.
One of the VW mechanic who is well known to my father, who has 2010 version of VW POLO told him that the current versions of Polo doesn't have the same build quality as it used to be.
I am not sure how much of his claim is authentic. GNCAP should definitely test already tested vehicle otherwise manufacturers would sell flimsy build car subsequently after the tests.

Let's wait for the crash test results from other European Cars apart from Kwid.
That claim would obviously be on the fact that the old polo's metals feel very hard whereas the strength of the metal is just on of the components in making a car safe -> the way is absorbs an impact, the safety tech is what makes it safe. They sent the polo with airbags to get a 4 star rating. I bet the new one would still hold the same rating.

Want a safe car ? Buy a Ford ecosport with 6 airbags, esp etc. etc.

Or buy the Jetta with 8 airbags, esp, etc etc.

stay away from XUV, Duster, Creta, anything Maruti, etc. you get the drill. Forget the Tata's lol.
Old 18th May 2016, 14:14   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
People may not take Nano on highways since its not capable of high speeds, but they may feel a false sense of safety in a Kwid/Redigo because of the larger dimensions and the capability of achieving much higher speeds than a Nano.
Every car or bike sold in India ply on Indian highways, from the tempo to the Nano to the Range Rovers. And everyone does good speeds. I remember a Nano overtaking me on the highway few years back while I was doing 80.
Old 18th May 2016, 14:15   #220
BHPian

Some questions, would appreciate if somebody could answer

Q.Scorpio variant does come with Airbag, why didn't NCAP test Airbag variant, perhaps the one with airbags, would have got some decent score? Or does NCAP only test the base variant?

Q. Do OEMs voluntarily provided there cars for testing or is it NCAP initiative?
Old 18th May 2016, 14:23   #221
BHPian

My questions are a little more basic. Please bear the ignorance -
  1. Are these vehicles provided by the manufacturers for the testing?
  2. If manufacturer provided, why do they not use these services during the design stage itself
  3. Do these cars come with all components under the hood?
  4. If it is only to test the structure, then without the components under the hood, would not the results of collision with all components not be as severe as shown?
sawah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 14:23   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Mods:

What Indian NCAP though? Is there a thing such as Indian NCAP. I thought it was just Global and then ASEANCAP.
This guy:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...t-program.html
Old 18th May 2016, 14:29   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Isn't it a case of no airbags equals fail? A car with airbags, but with an easily crushed cabin might fail, but can a car without airbags, however good the cabin structure/crumple zones are even possibly pass?

In which case, there is hardly any point in testing a no-air-bag car. They might as well just stamp it Fail and return it undamaged.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 14:29   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
As you said, I too hope that bureaucracy and corruption doesn't find its way in there. However, since GNCAP has already tested some Indian cars it'd be very interesting to see what the Indian NCAP crash tests say for the same cars.

Its expected to go live from 2018 though.
Old 18th May 2016, 14:34   #225
BHPian

Some renowned advocate or NGO should file PIL in SC to get all these vehicles banned. Here we have concrete evidence concerning safety and human life as against diesel vehicles (>2000CC) ban for perceived harm they cause to environment though they are also in compliance with current pollution regulations.
S.MJet is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks