Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2016, 10:29   #271
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all

Reactions from the manufacturers - generally they seem to be taking the line that they are in conformance with Indian regulations, but quite interesting indeed some of these are

Quote:
Mahindra
Test was done on non-airbags variant. Typically, in any star rating, non-airbag variants do not perform well on safety standards.
Quote:
Maruti
The tests by NCAP are at speeds that are higher than those prescribed by authoritites not only in India, but in Eurpose and USA.
Quote:
Renault
All our products meet and exceed requisite safety standards set by Indian Regulatory Authorities.
Quote:
Hyundai
Hyundai vehicles are designed and built to meet all prescribed safety standards set by Indian regulatory authorities.
Source
Old 19th May 2016, 10:30   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobhitk View Post
Kwid is a path breaking car.
most of the car crash deaths happen to SUVs and those cars which have capacity to move real quick and fast. Kwid reportedly finds it tough to reach 100 KMPH speed or indulge in quick pickup at high speed, making it comparatively a safer car.
What is path breaking about the Kwid?
Most deaths due to SUV, and the like? Is the source for this Zee news again? I wouldnt trust a "news" channel which airs a one hour documentary on the length of Kusum's hair every afternoon.

Quote:

Till a legislation or an self imposed mandate by industry, comes in force to ensure air bags in every car, we can hope that the NCAP tests will lead to public awareness so that the car makers are forced to provide air bags and other structural improvements for better safety in cars.
Agree on the legislation bit. Completely unhopeful of manufacturers developing a conscience. Even less hopeful of our junta buying sensibly, aware or not.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 10:33   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post

Of course this only works for a person looking to use their newly bought vehicle for say 5 more years. You can't expect to buy a 2010 car and then use it for 10 or 15 more years.
I agree for most of your post but for the bold part.
Actually, that is a misunderstanding that a lot of people have.
What makes an old vehicle suddenly unfeasible to run from 6th year onward ... or say 8th year onward?

Most vehicles only require repair / replacement of parts that undergo wear and tear - like suspension, rusted exhaust pipes, tyres, brakes etc
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 10:35   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Kwid is a path breaking car. It should be allowed to improve and grow in the light of the NCAP tests.
What's path breaking about the Kwid? I am not sarcastic, I am curious.
Quote:
There are so many other factors, apart from air bags and structural issues , leading to accidents - alcohol, tiredness, over speeding, driving without seat belts and lack of sleep being few of them.
What if the drunk, tired, over speeding driver is in the other car which hit the Kwid on a two lane road?
Quote:
Kwid reportedly finds it tough to reach 100 KMPH speed or indulge in quick pickup at high speed, making it comparatively a safer car.
The momentum of a 600 kg object traveling at 40kmph hitting a stationary object can be a lot. It has been illustrated elsewhere in this forum. Such hazards abound, example: carelessly parked truck or tractor on a foggy mornings.
Old 19th May 2016, 11:18   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashua View Post
The brazen attitude with which R C Bhargava dismisses the test results because they were done at 64 km/h and not at 56 km/h is both ridiculous and unbelievable. I am no expert but surely a difference of 8 km/h is not going to result in a night and day difference in the test results.

The 64 km/h is equal to 128 km/h in a real world accident scenario . Have I been away from the forum for so long that the laws of physics itself have changed? Why oh why did the anchors not ask him to elaborate on it and enlighten us all!

He also goes ahead to say no action will come of the results even if others (Renault) are doing something about it. We should at least appreciate his honesty on the subject even if it is gut wrenching.

Read more at: http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...ce=ref_article
A car at 64 Km/h, hitting stationary object is equal to head-on collision with each car at 32 Km/h. In his zeal to snub what is not convenient to him, he got the laws of physics mixed up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Reactions from the manufacturers - generally they seem to be taking the line that they are in conformance with Indian regulations, but quite interesting indeed some of these are
I think they are refering to this - Vehicular Safety Standards & Regulations, as per CMVR 1989.
More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all-16indiatypeapprovalpc.jpg
They definitely exceed these bare minimums from 80s.
msdivy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 11:33   #276
Senior - BHPian

I would like to know that how many Bhpians are actually surprised by the results declared by NCAP and that too considering that they test the base variants.
Scorpio was launched long back and it's safety or crash worthiness is discussed on TBhp long back. It's tests were done in Taiwan or something IIRC and all things were kept secret.

BTW in other news, Maruti has responded to the updated market conditions by launching refreshed Alto 800 with 9% improvement in Mileage.
Old 19th May 2016, 11:43   #277

I sent a strongly worded email to Renault Management personnel today. Not sure if it will make a difference. This was written in a fit of rage (please ignore a few typos)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Renault Kwid - Safety Issue

Renault Kwid I - Crash test Global NCAP #SaferCarsForIndia

Dear Mr. Sawhney,

Good day ! I have a lot of respect for you, and I was thrilled to see your spirit while spearheading the Renault brand with the introduction of the KWid . I actively followed all the presentations and news conferences and then finally put my money on the kwid. I got my Kwid on 30th October 2015 (Avia Motors , patparganj , Delhi, India)

I am a very big car enthusiast. you can see this link for yourself for a detailed review of the Kwid i own
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html

Ac active member on blogs and auto websites i saw the dismal performance of the KWID(1) on youtube. I am very sad to learn and see how Kwid's structure collapses upon impact. Also, there is a marked difference between the versions produced later

AM I PAYING THE PRICE FOR BELIEVING IN YOUR BRAND AND BEING THE FIRST FEW KWID OWNERS. ?

My heart sank when i watched the GNCAP video and i feel it is very immoral to introduce new models so soon with active reinforcements to the body shell . The car is barely an year old and there was no news anywhere about these improvements. If this was a fault from the beginning , the original owners of KWid need to be properly provided with a solution. I am not asking for a refund but just some form of strategy for a similar implementation of reinforcements or active additions to older models of the KWID.

I have just one question . Can you or WILL you do any form of recalls for the KWid(1) owners so that we don't suffer the same fate as the test dummies OR Should i just think that i wasted my money and trusted Renault blindly ?

I purchased this car as a gift for my father, from the looks of the video, it feels like a moving death trap. Would you or any of the executives with their family members feel safe in this car ?

Here is a video of the GNCAP test for the Kwid.

Video fro Kwid (3)

Please let me know .

Regards
Abhinav R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 11:57   #278
Senior - BHPian

The results of the NCAP need to be taken absolutely seriously!! The average vehicular speed in India is said to be lower than 64kmph? That might be true mostly within the city. I regularly clock 60+kmph average speeds on the highway (Ecosport shows the avg speed over the trip). If the majority of collisions between 2 vehicles are on highways, then these tests definitely need to be given their due.

The tests are conducted ensuring the crash test dummies are buckled up using seat belts and the results are a appalling. Imagine how severe the injuries must be in real life scenarios where Indians drive with scant regard to rules and without seat belts. How many of us use child seats properly fastened?

It is true that the manufacturers must ensure basic safety equipment such as airbags becomes mandatory but i think Indians need to wake up and stop completely ignoring their own responsibility towards abiding by laws.
Old 19th May 2016, 12:06   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen's 'Made in India' ( Export variant) Vento 1.2TSI gets 5 Star ASEAN NCAP Rating.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ero-sport.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th May 2016 at 12:08.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 12:06   #280
Senior - BHPian

On a related note, the market leader Maruti has launched a new awareness program to improve Road Safety.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/fea...y_6658201.html

Wonder when their top brass will take note of the increased intolerance towards flimsy cars with unstable body shells.
Old 19th May 2016, 12:24   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volkswagen's 'Made in India' ( Export variant) Vento 1.2TSI gets 5 Star ASEAN NCAP Rating.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ero-sport.html
Do we have the results of the variant sold in India? Or do we know what's the difference between this and the export variant?
Old 19th May 2016, 12:29   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Do we have the results of the variant sold in India? Or do we know what's the difference between this and the export variant?
No , have not seen data on the crash test of the Indian Vento. Unless tested we cannot speculate it being structurally the same as the Export variant.

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th May 2016 at 12:33.
Old 19th May 2016, 12:29   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Isn't it a case of no airbags equals fail? A car with airbags, but with an easily crushed cabin might fail, but can a car without airbags, however good the cabin structure/crumple zones are even possibly pass?

In which case, there is hardly any point in testing a no-air-bag car. They might as well just stamp it Fail and return it undamaged.
without airbag cars can get 1 star for cabin integrity.

for eg
Check out Latin American NCAP
Fiat Palio ELX 1.4 without airbag : - 1 star
Fiat Palio ELX 1.4 with airbag: - 3 star
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 12:30   #284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Indian variant of the Polo was tested 4 stars. There is no reason to suspect Vento could be anything less.

Why 4 stars for Polo and 5 stars for Vento TSI? Because of the absence of Electronic Stability Control on the Polo. In fact, our Vento TSI also has it, hence making it a 5 star rated product.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 12:35   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Now imagine crashing into a heavy SUV traveling at 60kmph. Kwid is not a comparatively safer car because it's got a weak engine. That just makes it an underpowered car!
Watch the video for the consequences of a heavier vehicle hitting a lighter smaller car. The chances of survival in the smaller light weight car appear to be bleak.

Last edited by damodar : 19th May 2016 at 12:37.
damodar is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks