Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2016, 22:09   #421
BHPian

Re: More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
For every new vehicle model, the test that needs to be passed is Whole Vehicle Type Approval by the regulation agency (Directive 2007/46/EC). Now this test is done at 56 kmph against a deform-able barrier with full overlap. This is not an easy test but most vehicle manufacturer know how to pass this.
Are we sure the cars made and sold in India have been passing this kind of test? Are the results ever made public? As far as I knew the Indian cars have only being crash tested behind closed doors https://www.araiindia.com/facilities...ive_safety.asp

Last edited by heavenlybull : 26th May 2016 at 22:10.
Old 27th May 2016, 09:17   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenlybull View Post
Are we sure the cars made and sold in India have been passing this kind of test? Are the results ever made public? As far as I knew the Indian cars have only being crash tested behind closed doors https://www.araiindia.com/facilities...ive_safety.asp
I don't know. But given that these execs talk about 56 kmph crash test, it is a possibility that India also has a similar test.
Old 27th May 2016, 14:17   #423
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know. But given that these execs talk about 56 kmph crash test, it is a possibility that India also has a similar test.
No, India does not have any such test. This 56kmph is a European standard that cars sold in the EU have to adhere to. It is an easier test to pass and the damage to the tested cars would have been lesser as the speed is lower and it is full frontal rather than overlap. Still, none of the Indian cars tested would have passed it in my opinion.
Old 27th May 2016, 14:37   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
No, India does not have any such test. This 56kmph is a European standard that cars sold in the EU have to adhere to. It is an easier test to pass and the damage to the tested cars would have been lesser as the speed is lower and it is full frontal rather than overlap. Still, none of the Indian cars tested would have passed it in my opinion.
AFAIK Scorpio was adhering to 56kmph test and was even exported to Europe. Moreover, I believe it had received 2 stars for ANCAP before being exported to Australia.

Whether the exported version had some kind of additional packages to pass the test is what I don't know.
Old 27th May 2016, 15:25   #425
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Global NCAP uses a sub-set of Euro NCAP testing procedure, as the focus is primarily to evaluate developing nation models. So, zero star Global NCAP rating will always result in a similar score in Euro NCAP, but a four-five star in GNCAP does not guarantee the same rating in Euro NCAP.

The combined score is weighted average of the score in individual category. The final star rating is dictated by the minimum of star rating for each individual category. For example, five star rating in 3 categories and two star rating in 1 category results in a two star rating. This explains the zero star rating for some of the Indian models. Due to absence of airbag, these car scored zero star in driver or passenger protection bringing the overall score to zero.
Wow, thanks!!

This really cleared up a few doubts I had about the *NCAP.

Could you also tell us more on how variants factor in to this? Is each variant tested separately? Is the scrore based on the middle variant, highest or lowest?

Any other details?
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 17:15   #426
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
A little metaphysical/philosophical aside, but I think it is appropriate
I had someone who would not want to be called a guru, or a spiritual teacher, or similar, but for want of better words, lets call her that. Her belief: you cannot go until the date on your return ticket.
But you can spend the rest of your days in agony in a hospital bed, loose limbs, become a cabbage, etc etc. You might have a long time to wait until the return date, and it might be very unpleasant. Your family might not enjoy it much either, Or have much money left at the end of the process.
So, with due respect for people's beliefs and all that, they just might want to think a little deeper. Because they might be absolutely right, but not quite in the way that they suppose.
Hear,hear! - A full five ***** for that, Thad! I'm as metaphysical as all get out, but I will always draw the line at spending the rest of my life with a crutch - in the mistaken belief that my karma will decide when the grim reaper does his bit!

Last edited by shashanka : 27th May 2016 at 17:16.
Old 27th May 2016, 21:48   #427
Distinguished - BHPian

Woops... mistakes one doesn't notice at the time. I meant lose limbs, of course, not loose.

I might be the forums local native English speaker, but there are a handful of common mistakes that I always make.

My teacher was, at the time, answering a question about suicide (hey, if it isn't your day, it won't work, right?) but somehow that doesn't seem very far removed from a lot of the stuff that goes on on our roads

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th May 2016 at 21:49.
Old 28th May 2016, 02:06   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

How about asking for the same structural safety that they are manufacturing for other countries. Perhaps even making in India and exporting?
I agree with your suggestions.
structurally safe cars are the final answer to all the crash related issues.

See what happens when an accident takes place and a person is killed:-

1. If the person has life insurance, his heirs are paid BIG money by the Insurance Company.
2. If he is not insured, the Court awards BIG compensation to the heirs.
3. If the accident involves large number of people or the accident take a political turn, the District Magistrate awards 2 - 3 lakh to the kin of the dead.
4. In the accident, the vehicles get badly damaged or destroyed, resulting in BIG financial loss the the owner of the vehicle or the insurance company.

No matter, in the event of an accident, who pays the money? the fact is:-

A. it is national loss.
B. Deaths result in untold miseries for the family of the departed soul.

To prevent huge monitory loss and loss of life ( estimated 150000 deaths in one year), it is always prudent to spend some more money on structural integrity of the vehicles.

Last edited by shobhitk : 28th May 2016 at 02:07. Reason: correction.
Old 28th May 2016, 19:29   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are comments to Indian manufactured cars by chief of G NCAP !

Cars made for India,

VW Passes with 4 Stars

More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all-22.jpg

Toyota Etios gets 4 star rating

More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all-444.jpg

Expect 'Improved' Renault KWID to fare better

More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all-66666.jpg

Cars made by India ( for LA market)

Maruti cars with airbags fared better in tests

More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all-1111.jpg

Source-http://m.moneycontrol.com/news/busin...ce=twitterfeed

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th May 2016 at 19:34.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2016, 10:04   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
What I find extremely disturbing is this snippet which audioholic posted earlier and hasn't seemed to have got enough attention.
Disgusting disgusting practice by Renault to game the system since the crash tests are only done on the driver's side. This should be criminal.
The carmakers are designing to meet the test standards. Can't consider that criminal. It is better to update the standards so that you can achieve 4 starts only in a car that is safe for both front seats and for the rear seat passengers.
Old 6th June 2016, 22:57   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Speaking to the Hindu Business Line, Mr Sumit Sawhney, Country CEO and Managing Director, Renault India, asserted that the Renault Kwid will soon exceed the safety norms which will come into effect from 2017 (new cars) & 2019 (existing cars) in India.

He clarified that the Kwid which was tested by Global NCAP recently was a prototype from the developing stage, and they will soon be testing the latest Kwid.

Quote:
“Kwid continues to be a popular model among the entry level buyers due to excellent value proposition if offers. It is a global car. While we are meeting all the safety requirements of current regulations in India, we will be far exceeding even the requirements the Indian government will be putting in 2017 and 2019.”

“In that list, we were the only manufacturer that was acknowledged for putting more safety norms in the entry level car and that is the positive sign. So, Kwid will exceed all safety norms earlier.”
The market will soon see a 1.0L Kwid variant, which is supposed to get dual airbags and ABS in it's top-end.

The Hindu Business Line

Last edited by RavenAvi : 6th June 2016 at 22:59.
Old 7th June 2016, 02:02   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Speaking to the Hindu Business Line, Mr Sumit Sawhney, Country CEO and Managing Director, Renault India, asserted that the Renault Kwid will soon exceed the safety norms which will come into effect from 2017 (new cars) & 2019 (existing cars) in India.

He clarified that the Kwid which was tested by Global NCAP recently was a prototype from the developing stage, and they will soon be testing the latest Kwid.
Ahem... how does that square with this information about Global NCAP (Quoted from )

Quote:
This is easy, up to 4 based on how many tests the car aces
No the cars are scrapped after recovery of all meaningful data. One important point to mention is that the cars are bought anonymously, either from a single dealer or from several. Once the cars are at the test laboratory, the manufacturer is informed of the vehicle identification numbers (VINs) and are asked to confirm the specification
My added bold.

Perhaps he doesn't know that we have Team BHP to inform us?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 18:34   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The market will soon see a 1.0L Kwid variant, which is supposed to get dual airbags and ABS in it's top-end.
Airbag or no airbag, untill and unless they redesign the entire structure neither will I buy this car nor will I recommend it to anyone.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 23:00   #434
BHPian

What are they adding, a roll cage? I would be anxiously waiting for the crash tests of the updated Kwid. Hope it fares better. If it doesn't, manufacturers have the tried and tested - 'It meets Indian standards'!
Old 10th June 2016, 21:33   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Pawan Kumar Goenka, Global Director of Mahindra and Mahindra Ltd, has stated that all Scorpio models headed to South Africa will have all the requisite safety features. (link)

Quote:
The new Scorpio SUV (without airbags) scored a zero safety rating in the Global NCAP testing, but Goenka said that the model tested is built strictly for the Indian domestic market. He said models destined for SA will have the necessary safety items.
While back in India, after the G-NCAP tests, what will you get with a "new and improved" Scorpio? Bigger, more comfortable seats, reverse camera + sensors and improved plastic quality! (link)

Quote:
The 2016 Mahindra Scorpio will see an improvement in its interior quality. Other than that, it will get bigger and more comfortable seats to make the drive more relaxed for those long journeys.
Mahindra will want to target the Scorpio against the Hyundai Creta and the Honda BR-V. To match up, it will have to enhance the plastic quality and even the features. The Scorpio will even get reverse parking camera for the first time as the company will ditch the reverse parking sensors.
The issue to access the front door pockets when the door is shut, has also been solved.
Mahindra has been seriously listening to its customers and making continuous changes.
Have they been listening? Seriously?!
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks