Team-BHP - Thai/Indonesian spec Suzuki Ciaz & Ertiga score 4 Stars in the ASEAN NCAP
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Thai/Indonesian spec Suzuki Ciaz & Ertiga score 4 Stars in the ASEAN NCAP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/176744-thai-indonesian-spec-suzuki-ciaz-ertiga-score-4-stars-asean-ncap.html)

Suzuki Ciaz and Suzuki Ertiga have managed to score 4 stars in the recently conducted ASEAN NCAP tests. This comes as a respite to the Indian automotive industry which recently saw multiple cars, including the Renault Kwid, Mahindra Scorpio, Hyundai Eon and Maruti Suzuki Celerio score zero in Global NCAP crash test.

The Suzuki Ciaz sedan got 14.56 points out of 16.00 in Adult Occupant Protection (AOP). The sedan performed well in the side impact test too, as there was minimal cabin intrusion. But in the Child Occupant Protection (COP) test, the Ciaz managed to be just 37% compliance to the NCAP standards, and thus earned a poor rating of 2/5 stars.

The Suzuki Ertiga too managed to get 4 stars in AOP, but it was not as safe as the Ciaz. The Ertiga earned 12.39 points out of 16.00 as compared to 14.56 of Ciaz in Adult Occupant Production. This is strange since the Ertiga is a more family-oriented car than the Ciaz, and should be safer. The Ertiga too scored poorly and earned 2 stars after being 33% compliant to NCAP COP standards.

Both the cars tested by ASEAN NCAP had two front airbags and a Seat Belt Reminder (SBR) system for the driver side. Also, Electronic Stability Control (ESC), ISOFIX and top tether were not available in these cars which resulted in deduction on one star from the rating. It is worth noting that both these cars were in their ASEAN-specs, and were manufactured at the company's Rayong plant in Thailand.

Source: Ciaz and Ertiga

Thai/Indonesian spec Suzuki Ciaz & Ertiga score 4 Stars in the ASEAN NCAP-suzukiciazwallpaper.png

Thai/Indonesian spec Suzuki Ciaz & Ertiga score 4 Stars in the ASEAN NCAP-suzukiertigawallpaper.png

Link to Team-BHP News

Quote:

Originally Posted by dZired (Post 3987409)
This comes as a respite to the Indian automotive industry

Quote:

It is worth noting that both these cars were in their ASEAN-specs, and were manufactured at the company's Rayong plant in Thailand.

Wonder how it is a respite to the Indian automotive industry if Suzuki cars built in Thailand get good crash safety ratings! :deadhorse

Quote:

It is worth noting that both these cars were in their ASEAN-specs, and were manufactured at the company's Rayong plant in Thailand.

This should be mentioned in the post title or at least in the first line of the post. These are not the cars being manufactured or sold in India, so these tests are not relevant for India.
EDIT: Even the kerb weight is not matching with the Indian versions.

Quote:

Suzuki's Ciaz is made in Thailand while Ertiga is from its Indonesian plant.

There has never been a reported case of Indian manufactured car equipped with airbags/ABS to have a lower NCAP rating than its counterparts manufactured elsewhere.

This essentially means Indian Ertiga/Ciaz is a 4 star NCAP car. Coming to think of it, its actually a 5 star rated car - a star has been removed only because there is no ESC (helps avoid roll-overs ). Look at the Ertiga dummy's body - its mostly green.

Thai/Indonesian spec Suzuki Ciaz & Ertiga score 4 Stars in the ASEAN NCAP-ertiga.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcat (Post 3987449)
There has never been a reported case of Indian manufactured car equipped with airbags/ABS to have a lower NCAP rating than its counterparts manufactured elsewhere.

Did we forget the likes of Swift, Grand i10 etc so soon? :D

True these cars didn't have airbags. But the chassis itself was reported as unstable for these two Indian manufactured cars, while their international counterparts did just fine. Addition of airbags wouldn't help as it did for their international variants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcat (Post 3987449)
Look at the Ertiga dummy's body - its mostly green.

Attachment 1512976

True for the passenger, but for the driver, both feet and lower right leg is weak - implies that there is footwell intrusion. In a real world crash, I would expect the typical fib-and-tib fracture along with ankle and foot injuries to be almost guaranteed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 3987425)
... Ertiga is from its Indonesian plant.

The Indonesian-made Ertiga is actually assembled using the kit imported from India, I believe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by romeomidhun (Post 3987476)
The Indonesian-made Ertiga is actually assembled using the kit imported from India, I believe.

Which is still irrelevant unless the exported kit is identical to the car assembled for India.

Lots of models from multiple manufacturers roll off the same assembly lines as their 'Made for India' siblings, almost none of them are identical even mechanically, forget feature-wise.

The petrol model tested weighs 1185kg. While the kerb weight of the petrol Ertiga on sale in India is as follows.

The headlines being run by the news industry are so incomplete / so misguiding. Sample these -

- Suzuki Ertiga, Ciaz score 4 out of 5 stars in latest NCAP crash test results
- Suzuki Ciaz, Ertiga gets 4 stars in Asean NCAP crash test
- Suzuki Ciaz And Ertiga Score 4-Star Safety Rating

For the uninitiated this is not even half the truth. As long as they don't test 'India Made - India Sold' I am not convinced.

I remember when the Swift was launched in Europe and it scored top marks in safety besting several other European small hatchbacks in the Euro NCAP tests, I remember when the Kizashi was tested 4 years after its launch and still scored top marks besting several other newer european and american competition. 4 stars in the ASEAN NCAP tests, show that Suzuki is no longer trying to stay ahead of the curve and are just satisfied with mediocrity it is an absolute shame and I shudder to think the standards of mediocrity Maruti believes in :Frustrati

I won't trust these figures unless India made cars are tested by ASEAN.
On a related note, even one of the Volkswagen officials claimed that the kits for the American Jetta and the Indian spec Jetta were different in body structures.:Shockked:
Cost cutting is a common practice by all manufacturers in India.This explains the difference between cars across nations.

Glad to note that the base models weigh more or less the same in both the countries. So, I think it's reasonable to assume that we'll get a sound body structure.

Suzuki's Proton Ertiga - Indonesian built, for Malaysia gets 4 star ASEAN NCAP Rating,

Thai/Indonesian spec Suzuki Ciaz & Ertiga score 4 Stars in the ASEAN NCAP-1.jpg

Thai/Indonesian spec Suzuki Ciaz & Ertiga score 4 Stars in the ASEAN NCAP-capture.jpg