re: 60 Million Car Bombs: Inside Takata’s Airbag Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
Is it the new Jazz or the old one?
Old one. 2012 made. Its a gem of a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
This was the same even for my civic.

How safe is it to be driving with these airbags?
I cant really say how safe it is. But as I customer, if you are replacing faulty airbags, I'd rather you replace them both.
Old 4th June 2016, 14:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a big concern. Can anyone tell me which airbags the new City uses?
Old 4th June 2016, 14:36   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Looks like a big concern. Can anyone tell me which airbags the new City uses?
It was Takata in old city. I had checked in my friend's car. Just have a look at tag on bottom end of seat belt.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 15:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
There have been 139 injuries due to the airbag fault across all car manufacturers.There have also been 2 calamities and 30 injuries in Honda's cars.
The airbag inflator is a ticking time bomb for sure
It's important not to lose perspective on this though. These airbags are installed in over 100 million vehicles. Out of these, perhaps hundreds of thousands of vehicles have been crashed and the airbags have deployed safely in all but these 100 odd cases.

If you are an owner of an affected car, get it rectified under recall by all means but there's a certain sensationalism going on here when they're being labelled as ticking time bombs.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 16:23   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 60 Million Car Bombs: Inside Takata’s Airbag Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
It's important not to lose perspective on this though. These airbags are installed in over 100 million vehicles. Out of these, perhaps hundreds of thousands of vehicles have been crashed and the airbags have deployed safely in all but these 100 odd cases.

If you are an owner of an affected car, get it rectified under recall by all means but there's a certain sensationalism going on here when they're being labelled as ticking time bombs.
I agree with you sir,but I think that the Takata engineers should have notified the concerned authorities about it. I think that if the necessary measures would have been taken,these lives wouldn't have been lost.
The catch here is the fact that the device used to protect you is claiming your life. It is better of that the airbag doesn't deploy rather than it deploying and then injuring someone. Seatbelt themselves are sometimes enough to protect you which was proved in the Honda Accord incident on page 1. The dog survived the crash which proves that the intensity of the crash was not much. This is the reason why Airbags are referred to as SRS(supplementary restraint system).
regards,
vishy76
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 18:38   #21
BHPian

Would it be okay to remove the airbag fuse in order to disarm the airbag? Imho, this would be better than travelling in a car with faulty airbags.

This is with respect to the Takata airbags in Honda cars
Old 4th June 2016, 19:10   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would it be okay to remove the airbag fuse in order to disarm the airbag? Imho, this would be better than travelling in a car with faulty airbags.

This is with respect to the Takata airbags in Honda cars
Takata Airbags would have saved more people during crash than the fatalities caused due to them. But it is not acceptable. Airbag is supposed to save life and here airbags lead to deaths which is a serious concern. Looking at the probability of life saved vs fatality due to airbags, it's not advisable to remove the fuse.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 21:50   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Takata Airbags would have saved more people during crash than the fatalities caused due to them. But it is not acceptable. Airbag is supposed to save life and here airbags lead to deaths which is a serious concern. Looking at the probability of life saved vs fatality due to airbags, it's not advisable to remove the fuse.
All international articles point out to two major conditions which make takata airbags potentially harmful.
1. Age (on an average <6 years is considered safe)
2. Hot and humid conditions

These two points should not be taken lightly.
petroguzzler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2016, 22:50   #24
BHPian

Here is mine from My GT TSI.
60 Million Car Bombs: Inside Takata’s Airbag Crisis-imageuploadedbyteambhp1465147020.241699.jpg

KSS Abishek: Was in joint venture with Takata from 2000-2006.
Now, Joint venture with Key Safety Systems(KSS), USA.

Hope they didn't learn how to make bomb from Takata :(
sid93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2016, 23:34   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
My Jazz was recently recalled for the airbag issue. Interestingly, only the driver's airbag was changed. They insisted that the recall was for just that and the passenger side airbag was fine.
Jain, how did you know your Jazz had this issue. Did Honda phone you or send you an email or bring it up at a car service occasion? I would like to find out if my 2010 Jazz has this challenge.
Old 6th June 2016, 01:29   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Jain, how did you know your Jazz had this issue. Did Honda phone you or send you an email or bring it up at a car service occasion? I would like to find out if my 2010 Jazz has this challenge.
I got a call from my dealer regarding this. It happened the same way for the down pipe recall of my City diesel. The dealer called.

In both cases, the SA said that they are recalling cars in batches, a few at a time, as per VIN.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 11:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All international articles point out to two major conditions which make takata airbags potentially harmful.
1. Age (on an average <6 years is considered safe)
2. Hot and humid conditions

These two points should not be taken lightly.
I see lot of 12 year old cars maintained in pristine condition. Should they not remove airbags then? Or, replace with new units? Do airbags have life? I mean after x years they would either (i) not pop up in the event of accident, or (ii) they would but they would harm/kill you. If it has to be one of the two, I would prefer (i).
Old 6th June 2016, 12:29   #28
BHPian

If this issue is due to destabilising of Ammonium Nitrate are we certain that new batches of cars do not have this issue. My 2010 honda City had an Airbag recall done last year, and they changed only driver side Airbag inflator module and not the Passenger side. If the passenger side is using the same chemical for explosion then does it also not warrant a recall.

Moreover does anyone know if the replaced airbags, how are they different in their designs. Do they not use Ammonium nitrate and use something else. How has it been tested over a long period of exposure to heat. As i see its not that much of an issue in colder countries but here in India we should be worried. Takata has supplied airbag to each and every vehicle manufacturer right from the cheaper cars to the most expensive German luxury cars.

With so many replacements i think the company itself may go bankrupt with the recalls that we will see coming in.
Old 12th June 2016, 05:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

My VIN comes up as not listed for recall on the Honda India website, though my RC book states the manufacturing date of the car as 2003. I have shot off an email to Honda customer care and am awaiting reply.

Till then my precious cargo takes the back seat!
Old 12th June 2016, 10:51   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I could find out the airbag make in Baleno, S-Cross and SX4 by looking at seat belt tag. Grand i10 and Kwid do not have pre tensioner seat belts and I couldn't find out airbags make. Pre tensioner unit was changed in SX4 post accident. It costs around 25K.

Baleno : Takata
60 Million Car Bombs: Inside Takata’s Airbag Crisis-img20160610wa0001.jpg

S-Cross : Ashimori
60 Million Car Bombs: Inside Takata’s Airbag Crisis-img20160610wa0002.jpg

SX4 : TOKAI RIKA
60 Million Car Bombs: Inside Takata’s Airbag Crisis-img20160610wa0003.jpg
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks