Team-BHP - 700 accident spots identified on National Highways; ranked by number of fatalities
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   700 accident spots identified on National Highways; ranked by number of fatalities (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/176900-700-accident-spots-identified-national-highways-ranked-number-fatalities.html)

Quote:

More than 1.4 lakh people lost their lives in road accidents in 2014. In a bid to reduce the number of fatalities and make roads safer, the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways (MoRTH) has identified more than 700 black spots across the national highways in the country and has accorded priority to each of the black spots based on the number of fatalities.

Name:  Screenshot  20160607131309.png
Views: 1221
Size:  10.4 KB

Name:  BlackSpotsonNationalHighways_numberbypriority.png
Views: 1611
Size:  25.1 KB

700 accident spots identified on National Highways; ranked by number of fatalities-blackspotsonnationalhighways_top10highways.png

Name:  BlackSpotsonNationalHighways_numberbystates.png
Views: 1260
Size:  27.0 KB

More on this link:

https://factly.in/700-black-spots-id...highways-nh-2/

The attached PDF (3.9 Mb) contains the expanded list of black spots with more details, a sample page is shown below:
700 accident spots identified on National Highways; ranked by number of fatalities-screenshot-20160607131005.png

This is such good news. Been travelling a lot in NH45 and I myself have noticed several spots which seem very dangerous. There are several blind spots. I think the following measures should be considered

1. Proper dividers in between the roads that block opposite traffic head lights.
2. Dividers must be removed at least 100 meters ahead of a intersection.
3. Proper reflectors fitted on places where there exist bridges.
4. Better sign boards indicating the nature of some sharp bends.
5. All roads must be painted with the lane lines and the end of road white lines. There are several stretches especially in the Trichy Madurai section where the roads have not been painted and it is a real pain to travel at night.
6. In certain roads down south there were stretches where the highway was used as a TWO-WAY and no indication or board whatsoever was present.

These are just a few things I have noticed while driving through the highways. Feel free to add more. :)

Looks like they are finally approaching this problem scientifically. Looking at all those graphs, they have got the first step right -> data collection.

Southern states seem to have an unusually large number of black spots.

Good list of points just_in!

Quote:

Originally Posted by just_in (Post 3990147)
2. Dividers must be removed at least 100 meters ahead of a intersection.

However, why do you suggest this?

If you're talking about tall dividers, I'd assume it's for visibility. But if you're talking about the 10" tall dividers we commonly see in cities, I'd be interested to know why...

If only there were speed breakers at the places where rural/town roads join the highways, a lot of lives would be saved. NH45 has a lot of intersections where tractors and mopeds just join on the highway without looking for oncoming traffic nor slowing down.

Would be a great service to put out the GPS co-ordinates of these places. These can be loaded as POIs in PNDs and can warn drivers. Will be ideal community content for devices like tomtom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rehaan (Post 3991792)
Good list of points just_in!

However, why do you suggest this?

If you're talking about tall dividers, I'd assume it's for visibility. But if you're talking about the 10" tall dividers we commonly see in cities, I'd be interested to know why...

I suggested that they should be removed 100 meters ahead because at some intersections along the NH45 the divider completely blinds the driver of what is happening on the other side. I mean suppose a car wants to make a U-turn or something like that from the opposite lane he/she will use the indicators but if the dividers blind the that particular vehicle and it's indicators then what is the point? It's especially true in intersections which are just ahead of a curve. I have personally faced such conditions while driving.

And regarding the height of dividers, yes i most certainly meant tall ones :)

A step in the right direction.
Interesting to see, while Tamil Nadu has the largest number of priority 1s and Kerala has a fair share of high priority spots, the adjoining Karnataka has surprisingly lesser number of high priority spots. I was expecting to see a much higher number for KA. So, something must be better in KA roads.

Or, is it because the classification is based on fatalities and not number of accidents (still KA is doing something better)

PS: Focusing these three states since almost all of my drives are within these three.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsjey (Post 3991887)
Would be a great service to put out the GPS co-ordinates of these places. These can be loaded as POIs in PNDs and can warn drivers. Will be ideal community content for devices like tomtom.

You know what?! This is one heck of a good idea. If they could publish these with all the map makers as a category of POI it serves a huge advantage! Suddenly lot many more people driving across unknown highways are now warned of an impending risk spot.