Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2016, 15:12   #16
BHPian

re: Honda recalls Accord, CR-V, Civic, City & Jazz over faulty airbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
Really? You think they would not know? Infact Takata apparently knew about this fault since 2004.
Takata will but I was referring to the ASS people. They are clueless about almost everything or at least they pretend that way.

Quote:
Now it seems it was more a case of spreading out the costs across balance sheets, while keeping customer lives at risk.
That sounds about right.

Quote:
Government seems least bothered as well in our country.
I don't want to drag govt into this. I don't even expect our govt to be that involved in passenger safety. If they can do their bit in making safer roads, that'll be enough for now.

Quote:
1. Do you know why your airbags did not deploy?
2. Did Honda say why?
3. Was the crash impact on front bumper minimal? Does not look like from the image you posted in your earlier post.
1. No. Having known several cases where airbags didn't deploy and what people concluded in those cases, I guess I almost knew. As per my knowledge, the sensor is really small and as long as it doesn't take a direct hit or gets crushed, the airbags won't deploy no matter what.
2. We made the classic rookie mistake. We were not dead and weren't really interested in investigating why the airbgas didn't deploy. Sounds bad in retrospect.
3. There was absolutely no harm to bumper, not even a scratch. The bonnet was bent but it didn't touch anything in the engine bay (except a minor hit on the windshield washer storage unit).

Now, the big question is once Honda team has fixed this issue in my car, is there a way to make sure that they actually fixed it? For example, an inspection by some mechanic outside. Over the years, I have lost faith in Pride Honda here in Hyderabad. Now, their only moto is to get maximum money out of customers' pocket.
bordeaux is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 18:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda recalls Accord, CR-V, Civic, City & Jazz over faulty airbags

Just came across this in today's IE. The numbers for the Civic given there show that only 2 cars in the 2007 batch are affected by this recall and the rest 13603 are cars sold between 2009-2011
Attached Thumbnails
Honda recalls Accord, CR-V, Civic, City & Jazz over faulty airbags-takata-ab-recall.jpg  

rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 09:10   #18
BHPian

Re: Honda recalls Accord, CR-V, Civic, City & Jazz over faulty airbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post
3. There was absolutely no harm to bumper, not even a scratch. The bonnet was bent but it didn't touch anything in the engine bay (except a minor hit on the windshield washer storage unit).
The answer to your question as to why the airbags did not reply is in your statement above. In most cars the sensors for airbag deployment are located just behind the bumper. And if the cars has side curtain airbags then sensors are located on the sides of the cars as well.

In your case I am assuming the car has only 2 airbags. Since there was no impact on the bumper that is why the airbags were not triggered.
BeantownThinker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2016, 10:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Called my father to ask him to check with the service centre for this recall - and was surprised to hear that his dealer completed the airbag fix two weeks ago, when we went in for service! However I asked him to get it confirmed from them once again.
Anyone else had the airbags replaced before the official announcement from Honda?
Old 16th July 2016, 14:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
The answer to your question as to why the airbags did not reply is in your statement above. In most cars the sensors for airbag deployment are located just behind the bumper. And if the cars has side curtain airbags then sensors are located on the sides of the cars as well.

In your case I am assuming the car has only 2 airbags. Since there was no impact on the bumper that is why the airbags were not triggered.
You are right. It has only two (driver+passenger) airbags.
Old 18th July 2016, 10:34   #21
BHPian

Honda were replacing the airbags quietly long before it blew up on the media.. Had gone to the service center in the last week of June because I needed a few parts for the car and they told me they are going to replace the two airbag modules. It hardly took 20 minutes for them to do it.. And I don't think the "Only 2 cars from 2007 models are affected" line is accurate. I have a 2007 model and my car being one of the only 2 "affected" cars is a bit skeptical.

Last edited by blahman : 18th July 2016 at 10:37.
Old 18th July 2016, 11:12   #22
BHPian

My 2010 City VMT got it's driver side airbag replaced under the previous recall. And now it needs to be sent back (I checked my VIN on the Honda website) for the passenger side airbag. I wonder why did they not think of doing it in one shot?
Old 22nd July 2016, 22:13   #23
BHPian

Got my 2009 City serviced today at Pride Honda, Madhapur, HYD. Service manager said that my city doesn't need a passenger airbag fix. He said whenever they enter a VIN number in their portal, a pop-up comes up for eligible cars and mine didn't trigger either with service manager's portal or with technician's. The sub-website setup by Honda did say that my car needs a fix. I am totally confused now. Is there a way to verify this somewhere outside?
Old 23rd July 2016, 07:05   #24
Team-BHP Support

I got the replacement done on my City yesterday.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4020600

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post
Got my 2009 City serviced today at Pride Honda, Madhapur, HYD. Service manager said that my city doesn't need a passenger airbag fix. He said whenever they enter a VIN number in their portal, a pop-up comes up for eligible cars and mine didn't trigger either with service manager's portal or with technician's. The sub-website setup by Honda did say that my car needs a fix. I am totally confused now. Is there a way to verify this somewhere outside?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
My 2010 City VMT got it's driver side airbag replaced under the previous recall. And now it needs to be sent back (I checked my VIN on the Honda website) for the passenger side airbag. I wonder why did they not think of doing it in one shot?
Same here!

I insisted that the Honda website mentioned that the passenger module needs to be changed too; the guy wouldn't budge. He repeatedly told me that they checked in the system and it says only the driver-side is necessary. He said the passenger side is applicable for Civic, CRV.

I have a feeling they'll do this after Sept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Yes, seems simple enough. Took about 10 minutes. Dismantled the steering, removed the faulty part fixed a new one and put the steering back together and noted down the vehicle details.
See, this is the tricky part. Going by your post, I insisted that they do this at my residence since the car had been for a servicing just a day before and they forgot to do this replacement then.

The SA said they couldn't since the process required some parts that they didn't have. After sitting in through the process where the technician cuts a metal piece that was over the module (explained in pics on my thread), I wonder how he did it on your City.

Either the module assembly is different or my technician took a short cut of cutting it off rather than dismantling it.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 23rd July 2016 at 07:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks