Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2016, 16:56   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda recalls Accord, CR-V, Civic, City & Jazz over faulty airbags

An official recall has been issued by Honda Cars India for 1,90,578 units of the previous generation of Accord, CR-V, Civic, City and Jazz as part of Honda's precautionary global campaign concerning Takata front airbag inflators.

Replacement for the passenger-side airbag modules will be carried free of cost at all Honda dealerships. While the campaign for CR-V and Civic will begin immediately, the replacement of inflators for other affected models would begin from September 2016, and the company will communicate with customers directly.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 14th July 2016 at 17:26.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 17:04   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags

Brigade Honda proactively called and replaced it in my Jazz last Saturday at home. Took about 10 minutes to complete.
patron is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 17:06   #3
BHPian

Re: Honda recalls 2.2 lakh cars (CR-V, Civic, City, Jazz) in India over faulty airbags

Honda here didn't call me proactively or anything but during last service there was a column in the final bill related to Inflator for which i was not charged. So i am guessing they replaced it during that time.
shadows123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 17:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda recalls Accord, CR-V, Civic, City & Jazz over faulty airbags

Last year my car was listed for the driver side airbag inflator replacement and I got that done. Now, this. Is this recall applicable for the passenger side inflator or both now ?

EDIT: Just checked the website and it says the recall is applicable for my car and also noticed in the announcement that it is for the passenger side inflator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
How is this different from the civic airbag recall some time last year?
I presume this replacement is only for those cars whose passenger side inflator was not changed last year. Mine is a case in point. If this is true, then cars that had both the inflators replaced should not appear in this recall list.

Last edited by rr_zen : 14th July 2016 at 17:41.
rr_zen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 17:27   #5
Team-BHP Support

How is this different from the civic airbag recall some time last year?
Old 14th July 2016, 18:25   #6
Team-BHP Support

My 2010 City SMT is part of this recall; although no dealer has responded to the online query yet (when you confirm your VIN to be part of the recall).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3999611

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Brigade Honda proactively called and replaced it in my Jazz last Saturday at home. Took about 10 minutes to complete.
This is something they can do outside the A.S.S? Also, the dealer offers to do this at your residence?! In Gurgaon, my dealer hasn't bothered to call back.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 14th July 2016 at 18:28.
Old 14th July 2016, 21:11   #7
BHPian

This is the second call for our 2009 City. In one of the services last year, service manager mentioned that they fixed the airbag issue. Since it's showing up again, I am guessing they didn't fix the passenger side at that time or they didn't even know if it was faulty.

None of the airbags deployed when this happened to us in Jan 2015. I wonder if this was the reason or the sensor wasn't hit hard enough. Can some experienced members shed some light on possible reasons here? BTW me and wife both escaped without a single scratch because we were wearing seat belts

Honda recalls Accord, CR-V, Civic, City & Jazz over faulty airbags-ksc_20150117_065947_05.jpg
bordeaux is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 22:06   #8
BHPian

^^
As far as I understand, the issue was with chances of more severe damage to occupants when the airbags deploy. Apparently there was a design issue with the container that contained the chemical used to inflate the airbags. When they deployed, the metal container ruptured causing shrapnel to be thrown at the occupants. So I don't think that was the issue that prevented the airbags from deploying in your car. If anything, you should be thankful that they did not deploy and send misslies firing your way.

Last year it was the driver airbag replacement for my 2011 City VAT. Now the passenger side. Wonder why they did not do both at the same time. So they were OK letting us drive around with dangerous airbags in our cars.

Also, last year when I filled in the online form in their announcement site, I did not get any call from my dealer. It was done as part of the service when I visited them around 6 months later. Pretty pathetic on Honda's part to call us in twice.

Last edited by Bh.P : 14th July 2016 at 22:11.
Bh.P is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 22:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
^^
As far as I understand, the issue was with chances of more severe damage to occupants when the airbags deploy. Apparently there was a design issue with the container that contained the chemical used to inflate the airbags. When they deployed, the metal container ruptured causing shrapnel to be thrown at the occupants. So I don't think that was the issue that prevented the airbags from deploying in your car. If anything, you should be thankful that they did not deploy and send misslies firing your way.
Good god! If that's true, we are truly lucky that they didn't deploy. Getting killed by airbags would have been quite an ironic way to die.

Quote:
Last year it was the driver airbag replacement for my 2011 City VAT. Now the passenger side. Wonder why they did not do both at the same time. So they were OK letting us drive around with dangerous airbags in our cars.
Same here. I think they didn't know themselves.

Quote:
Also, last year when I filled in the online form in their announcement site, I did not get any call from my dealer. It was done as part of the service when I visited them around 6 months later. Pretty pathetic on Honda's part to call us in twice.
Again same experience. Nobody called despite filling up the form and issue was fixed as a part of a regular service.
Old 15th July 2016, 05:59   #10

Another recall notice, previous-gen Honda owners:

https://www.hondacarindia.com/PUD5VG...erInquiry.aspx
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/53210073.cms
Old 15th July 2016, 07:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post
Good god! If that's true, we are truly lucky that they didn't deploy. Getting killed by airbags would have been quite an ironic way to die.
I confirmed that is true by googling up the earlier article I had read.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...call/index.htm

Quote:
At the heart of the problem is the airbag’s inflator, a metal cartridge loaded with propellant wafers, which in some cases has ignited with explosive force. If the inflator housing ruptures in a crash, metal shards from the airbag can be sprayed throughout the passenger cabin—a potentially disastrous outcome from a supposedly life-saving device
Quote:
Originally Posted by bordeaux View Post
Same here. I think they didn't know themselves.
Really? You think they would not know? Infact Takata apparently knew about this fault since 2004.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/07/bu...ests.html?_r=1
That article even has a video showing the metal pieces flying in the car. Lucky your aribags did not deploy.

And I doubt Honda would not have known this during last years recall for driver airbags. It is unlikely that the airbags being fitted into a car would come from different batches of the same supplier. I had posted this question in the thread discussing last year's recall but we could not reach a conclusion as to why driver airbag would be defective while the passenger airbag is not.
Now it seems it was more a case of spreading out the costs across balance sheets, while keeping customer lives at risk. Government seems least bothered as well in our country.

OT: Do you know why your airbags did not deploy. Did Honda say why? Was the crash impact on front bumper minimal? Does not look like from the image you posted in your earlier post.
Bh.P is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 09:57   #12
BHPian

My Jazz V CVT 2015 Oct is not part of this.

I am impressed that they are admitting to mistakes made in Accord 2003 - 2011!!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 10:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

This is something they can do outside the A.S.S?
Yes, seems simple enough. Took about 10 minutes. Dismantled the steering, removed the faulty part fixed a new one and put the steering back together and noted down the vehicle details.
patron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 11:26   #14
BHPian

Last year I did this for my Honda city Driver side Airbag. I knew that supplier for Airbag has to be same for driver as well as passenger. If it said that Civic needed replacement both sides and not just driver side. I had a hunch that there will be a passenger side recall later on and they are not doing right now only for shortage of spares.

In fact I even asked the service advisor at Solitaire that how is it that the passenger side airbag can be ok. But solitaire being solitaire, are clueless. I will need to take my City one more time to the Authorised service centre. Really don't like taking in there anymore.

Members please note, even if your cars are well outside of warranty and extended warranty and even if you have lost the car user manuals, you should still get this done and it will be free of cost for you. In case any ASC tries to charge you, do not pay a dime. When my driver side replacement was done last year my car was already well out of all warranties.
manishkapadia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2016, 12:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

When the driver side airbag inflator for my 2010 Civic was replaced last year, I asked the SA why the passenger side is not being replaced for which he replied saying that since mine was a facelifted version and relatively new, only the driver side was to be covered. Most pre 2009 models had a recall applicable for both inflators is what he confirmed.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks