Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2016, 16:35   #16
BANNED

Re: Pics: Accidents in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
I have to fully agree with paragsachania and hemanth.anand.

A contributory factor is people's unwillingness to slow down on the NICE road, leading to aggressive and dangerous overtakes. Trucks on the NICE road drive like how they do on highways - different trucks take different lanes, and perform slow overtakes of one another. Into that equation throw someone who's having the adrenaline rush of driving at 3-digit speeds and very often they prefer any crazy overtake (either side, or down the middle) instead of patiently slowing down and waiting for a safe gap.

Safe drivers with good driving habits will not have any problems with the NICE road, and can enjoy a pleasant drive. Nothing to worry about, and do try and drive on it if you're ever here, TD_GHY.
This issue with trucks that you mentioned seems a very Karnatakaesque matter. I've seen TN, AP, PB (all actually) registered trucks go on the right side in Karnataka on electronics city to Hosur road.

Soon as they cross Hosur junction they become mamas boys and move to the center or left lane. Strange.

Besides psychology, I think in TN the cops are strict if you simply park on the left side of the road. Or if you set up some hawker type wood wheeled platform on the left side.

All being said, these highways and toll roads are absolutely wrong for India.

How will farmers cross to take their cattle to the usual grazing grounds? How are bullock carts supposed to cross roads to enter villages?

You have all seen people do crazy gymnastics to cross Hosur road near bommasandra and other places. What is their crime that we can't provide movable platform overhead bridges?

There is one in front of forum mall in koramangala. Who uses it? Hardly one or two people. Making the same thing at every major highway junction will reduce animal and pedestrian deaths.

Or make underground tunnels for crossing over. Farmers will thank you.

We are stealing their land for our useless cars.
This is criminal.

Last edited by hangover : 23rd August 2016 at 16:41.
hangover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 22:59   #17
BHPian

After reading all the above posts, I confess: I haven't driven on the NICE road till date. I confess again: You guys scared me to the core, I'm not planning to drive on the NICE road any sooner. Frankly: Don't have a requirement to drive there as of today

Coming back to the topic, this one happened just a while ago in front of my place. Wheelie effect - The RX100 (or was it 135.., which isn't in this picture since the crowd dragged it away before I got my phone) banged the Indicab's back.

NICE road, Bangalore: Poor engineering or just bad driving?-20160823_214056.jpg

The rider of course was not wearing a helmet, was on flip-flops which had fallen on either side of the road - one bang in front of our gates. He was surely experimenting a wheelie and lost it completely. I could hear the whole thing from my room and ran out the moment I heard the bang. I guess he also had a 10-12 year old kid as pillion if I'm not mistaken. Both were pretty shaken for about 5 minutes. Not sure if he was drunk - did not want to go near him since the crowd in the picture had already gathered.

The irony of the whole scene was - once the cabbie came out and started examining the damage on his car, this biker was fully blaming the cabbie.., who wasn't even there when this idiot banged his vehicle! He was shouting abuses at him and was telling him that he never hit his car!

I was like (again - to myself since I was nowhere near them) - "Excuse me!?!? The car's rear is gone! Can you even see that?".

After a while, the biker started loosing his cool and went on to say that the cab was parked there wrongly and he missed noticing it. Once I heard him, I thought "Yeah Right! That car's parked wrongly for sure. It shouldn't have been there. 10 more feet and there's an electric pole. That would have dealt with you for good..."

PS: The car was indeed parked at the wrong place - but here, in areas like Chamarajpet, there's nothing much we can do about it. These are old areas and are planned as per the requirements some 40 to 50 years ago. Nobody would have thought about car parking during those days. It is a mutual agreement between the residents here to park on the roads - as long as it isn't inconveniencing each other and the other road users.
vnidta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 23:25   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnidta View Post
After reading all the above posts, I confess: I haven't driven on the NICE road till date. I confess again: You guys scared me to the core, I'm not planning to drive on the NICE road any sooner. Frankly: Don't have a requirement to drive there as of today
You don't need to, nor have to. The NICE road is a flat, straight patch of road.. not too flat though as there are some subtle natural lows and highs over the road, it makes for one boring drive as to me speed doesn't matter and never will. The straights make the ordinary driver lose head and they simply thrash the pedal straight down without understanding that every car has its limits and when making corrections speed will simply cause instability. Speed is something that never satisfies, because all one is doing inside the car is sitting still, correcting the steering and trying not to make a mistake.

You want a great drive, you have one of the better cars for that (Getz?), so I suggest one lazy Sunday, for you to head over to the Military Area adjoining Victoria Layout, join the palisades road where the M47 Patton Tank is on display.. follow the incredibly fun curvy roads for about 2 kms keeping the movement rightwards all the way (left turns will head to Ulsoor), until you join the Old Airport Road flyover to Koramangala which is connected by a full 360 loop, drive till the end and back. Keep speeds strictly legal and you'd love it. The bends are where the fun is.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 23:54   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted one more accident on the NICE road, near Bannerghatta road entry. It was a swift and a Indica, and it looked like the Indica rear ended the swift, no injuries to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
OT:

Are you sure about this?
I have got it for my previous car from bangaloreone office to check whether the buyer had transferred the car to his name. I just gave the car number and no questions were asked.
Old 24th August 2016, 17:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: NICE road, Bangalore: Poor engineering or just bad driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
Info might help road users who haven't been on this road and planning to take this road sometime in future.
It is dual carriage highway (2 lanes on either side of open culvert). Hence it is not 120 Km/hr road. 80 is ideal, 100 is fine. Anything more than 100, you are at mercy of fellow riders. Stretch between E-city & Mysore road is busy. Mysore road to Tumkur road is relative less busy.

Day time visibility is good. But night visibility is bad. It's horrible when it rains. I thought it might be an issue with my car's headlight, but I can see other highways just fine. Watchout for,
1) Speed freaks (make, model doesn't matter) who think their ride is bullet train and just propel through.
2) For the trucks trying to overtake one another and you can't figure out who is overtaking who.
3) For those who miss the exit and start backing up. Some take U-turn and start in opposite direction.
4) Those who stopped (wherever they like) for a good photo.
5) There is no 2 wheeler lane. Most keep to the left. But some stray into the fast lanes.

In general, nothing different than whats on typical Indian highways.
msdivy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 20:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
This issue with trucks that you mentioned seems a very Karnatakaesque matter. I've seen TN, AP, PB (all actually) registered trucks go on the right side in Karnataka on electronics city to Hosur road.
I have seen the same behaviour even in AP on the BLR-HYD route.
Old 24th August 2016, 20:50   #22
BHPian

I have travelled only a couple of times in NICE road when I head out of bangalore. But looking at the number of accidents I am quite startled.
I would request someone,the regular commuters having dash cam,to post the video of the stretch and mark the important places to watch out for in the video. That would be really helpful.
Old 10th November 2016, 13:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Many times I have noticed vehicles including the NICE owned Tractor trailers (for ferrying their workers) parked in the entry lanes where it joins the main express way. This blocks the free joining of the vehicles in to the ongoing traffic. Once I saw a car that has to take a sudden right and merge on to the ongoing traffic because of a parked truck, it narrowly missed a bike that was on the left lane of the main road. People should understand this lane is provided for the vehicles to get sufficient space and time to attain speed and merge with the main traffic.
Old 9th July 2017, 12:36   #24
BHPian

Looks like driving on NICE road (the only ROAD in Bangalore ) is not so nice anymore with this news!

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le19242192.ece

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks