Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2016, 15:00   #1
BHPian

Global NCAP: Updated Renault Kwid and Honda Mobilio tested

The Kwid and the Mobilio were tested and the results are far from encouraging.

Link: http://www.globalncap.org/limited-pr...honda-mobilio/

Global NCAP: Updated Renault Kwid and Honda Mobilio tested-157542.jpg

Quote from the David Ward "Renault and Honda make safe cars in other markets, they have the know how to make all their Indian cars much safer. We expect them to start doing so now.”

Last edited by Aditya : 19th September 2016 at 17:24. Reason: Uploading image as attachment
sun_king is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 15:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
The Kwid and the Mobilio were tested and the results are far from encouraging.
I would still like to congratulate Honda here for not compromising on the structural stability even on their cheap offering. I hope, the same holds true even for amaze and brio.

I hope, they make airbags mandatory on all their cars like the way Toyota and VW has done.
amalji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 15:38   #3
BHPian

During the last few years, many of my relatives and family members purchased new cars. Most of them went with the top end variants of Maruthi's, Skoda, Hyundai and Tata.

Many took me with them to the showroom and I made sure that all the cars at least had two airbags and ABS. The way I did it was point at a feature (other than safety) that are missing in the lower trims to encourage them to move higher.

The need of the hour is not educating the people about safety. I don't think that has worked with traffic rules and I will not work here as well. We need regulations on the manufacturers about safety so whichever car the citizens choose, they should be protected. This might mean a higher price (frankly, it should not affect the pricing by much), but there is no substitute for life and limbs.

The most advantageous part is we Indians adjust to everything so we should get accustomed to hike in price as well
Viv3k is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 15:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

It's strange how an airbag equipped Mobilio gets 2 stars for child protection, but only 1 star for Mobilio without airbags? How is this possible?
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 15:41   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
It's strange how an airbag equipped Mobilio gets 2 stars for child protection, but only 1 star for Mobilio without airbags? How is this possible?
I am no expert but I believe the one without the airbag will cause more internal movements and damage (could be from the driver head as well) and in turn would affect the child sitting behind.
Old 19th September 2016, 15:49   #6
BHPian

NDTV reached out to Honda and Renault after the recent NCAP tests. Link: http://auto.ndtv.com/news/updated-re...-lateststories

Honda Cars India has said, "In both the tests, the Mobilio body was found to be stable and survival space for passengers was maintained after collision, with no A pillar collapse. Furthermore, the opening and shutting of doors were possible after the collision, which is an important factor in rescue operations. This result was achieved with Honda's original vehicle body structure, Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body."

David Ward, Secretary General of Global NCAP has said, "Renault and Honda make safe cars in other markets, they have the know-how to make all their Indian cars much safer. We expect them to start doing so now."

He further adds "Renault has made limited progress, they should be offering their one star car as the standard version not an option. Honda too has shown that with two airbags they can achieve 3 stars. These safety systems should not be options."

When will manufacturers wake up and stop taking Indian life's for granted? Consumers also should push for ABS+Airbag versions only.
PraNeel is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 16:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post

When will manufacturers wake up and stop taking Indian life's for granted? Consumers also should push for ABS+Airbag versions only.
Why do you think the manufacturers will take `Indian` lives seriously when we Indians are only not bothered about them?

When the government of India wakes up and makes these basic safety features mandatory is the day the manufacturers will implement it in large scale.

For the manufacturer, sales, profit and loss are the only thing that matters.
Viv3k is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 16:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv3k View Post
Why do you think the manufacturers will take `Indian` lives seriously when we Indians are only not bothered about them?

When the government of India wakes up and makes these basic safety features mandatory is the day the manufacturers will implement it in large scale.

For the manufacturer, sales, profit and loss are the only thing that matters.
Hi Viv3k as consumers we are also responsible because people want features over safety. Rural consumers are not even educated about the importance of ABS and airbags. Many of my friends think ABS and airbags are of no use and a big vehicle means safety. Consumer preferences also drive the market.

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th September 2016 at 20:55. Reason: Typo fixed. Thanks
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 16:27   #9
BANNED

Quote:
The way I did it was point at a feature (other than safety) that are missing in the lower trims to encourage them to move higher.
I did the same when we purchased a car for my Dad. More than the dual airbags and ABS, the start stop button with request sensors was more appealing to my Dad. Thankfully, he realizes their importance now.
manojraja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 16:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Hi Viv3k as consumers we are also responsible, because people want features over safety. Rural consumers are not even educated about the importance of ABS and airbags. Many of my friends think ABS and airbags are of no use and a big vehicle means safety. Consumer prefrences also drive the market.
I total concur with you mate. We as consumers need to be aware of safety features in our cars. I can bet a considerable amount of money that most do not even know if they have air bags in their car or what SRS airbags stand for or how it functions

I have tried to educate quite a lot of people and finally it has come to these two points:
  1. I drive sedately, why do I need ABS and air bags?
  2. Why waste additional money? I can use it to get a TV in my car

However, if the government brings in a regulation and asks the consumer to pay the additional 20-30k, he will have no option and the TV can wait

Last edited by GTO : 20th September 2016 at 12:23. Reason: Only 2 smilies / post please
Viv3k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 16:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I drive sedately, why do I need ABS and air bags?
Sure, your friend or relative drives sedately, carefully, expertly. Don't we all ?

The answer is one of Thad's Dad's driving lessons:
Fifty percent of all accidents are the other person's fault

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th September 2016 at 17:00.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 17:03   #12
BHPian

Quote:
However, if the government brings in a regulation and asks the consumer to pay the additional 20-30k, he will have no option and the TV can wait
Lobbying is very strong in India and in absence of market demand govt bows down. Just see how SIAM is still not open for implementation of Euro VI norms in India. You must have read Maruti chairman R C Bhargava's statements after Swift failed the crash tests. What pains me these manufacturers use our land our resources but give us structurally poor cars while export structurally strong cars. This is where govt should be hard hitting and stop this dual policy of manufacturers.
PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 17:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Global NCAP: Updated Renault Kwid and Honda Mobilio tested

Global NCAP has released results of the fourth round of crash tests of Made-in-India cars. In this round, the organisation has put to test the latest and improved version of the Renault Kwid, and two variants of the Honda Mobilio.

The Renault Kwid was earlier tested by Global NCAP in May 2016. But at that time, the car used was the base variant, which didn't have airbags. Thus, the Kwid scored a Zero star rating. Renault India had then claimed that the car used for crash tests was a pre-production model, and the company had since then strengthened the Kwid's structure to make it safe enough for the occupants. Thus, Global NCAP has put the updated, top-spec variant of the Kwid through the frontal collision test, where it scored a 1 star rating for both adult occupant protection and child protection. The top-spec model tested was equipped with a driver side airbag and seatbelt pretensioner.

Global NCAP: Updated Renault Kwid and Honda Mobilio tested-1.jpg

Global NCAP also tested the base variant of the Honda Mobilio. Though the lack of airbags earned the base variant a Zero star rating, the crash test showed the Mobilio to have a stable structure.

Global NCAP: Updated Renault Kwid and Honda Mobilio tested-2.jpg

Honda then asked the testing authority to test the airbag equipped version, which eventually managed to score 3 stars in adult occupant protection and 2 stars in child protection.

Global NCAP: Updated Renault Kwid and Honda Mobilio tested-3.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 19th September 2016 at 17:17.
dZired is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 17:19   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
I would still like to congratulate Honda here for not compromising on the structural stability even on their cheap offering. I hope, the same holds true even for amaze and brio.

I hope, they make airbags mandatory on all their cars like the way Toyota and VW has done.
Would not consider the Mobilio a cheap offering from Honda. Price wise it is on the higher side of Honda's portfolio. But at the same time, pleasantly surprised to see that the airbag equipped variant scores 3 stars. To me, it seemed to be the most flimsily built Honda. So that is a plus.

When Renault said that had taken the NCAP feedback and were working to make the Kwid stronger expected better results. Disappointing to see no major improvement. With sales climbing, would have been a big boost if they had managed to secure a good NCAP rating.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 17:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Would not consider the Mobilio a cheap offering from Honda. Price wise it is on the higher side of Honda's portfolio. But at the same time, pleasantly surprised to see that the airbag equipped variant scores 3 stars. To me, it seemed to be the most flimsily built Honda. So that is a plus.
Proof again that sheet metal thickness doesn't decide the strength/safety of a car. People who still complain of car's safety after pressing the sheet metal should see the crash test of Honda Mobilio and Mahindra Scorpio.

And it was not a surprise for me, since Hondas always had that ACE body structure

Even personally, one of my friends on his Honda Amaze banged from behind into a bus. The entire front portion took heavy damage, but the passenger cabin was safe and none of them were injured as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
When Renault said that had taken the NCAP feedback and were working to make the Kwid stronger expected better results. Disappointing to see no major improvement. With sales climbing, would have been a big boost if they had managed to secure a good NCAP rating.
If safety was never a consideration during the design phase, whatever jugaad you do, it will still be unsafe. And I'm more angry at Renault for doing the fix only at driver side ( because the crash test is done on the right side! )
amalji is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed