Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2016, 18:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: More Indian cars face Global NCAP crash tests. Edit: ZERO for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
People who still complain of car's safety after pressing the sheet metal should see the crash test of Honda Mobilio and Mahindra Scorpio.
Exactly.

When most customers don't understand the difference between the A-Class surface (outer skin panels) and the structure (platform & front end), then how can it be expected that they'll understand the importance/ function of both during a crash event.
AutoNoob is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 18:10   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: Global NCAP: Updated Renault Kwid and Honda Mobilio tested

Not sure if we can give Honda a clean chit yet. To begin with, a 3 star rated car (Eg: Mobilio/Baleno) is significantly LESS safer than a 4 star rated car (Eg: Polo/Etios). As a 3 star rated car, the made-in-India Mobilio gets 9.85 pts out of 17.

However, the made-in-Thailand Honda BR-V gets 4 star rating in ASEAN NCAP tests with a score of 14.79 pts out of 17.

Name:  RatingPlateBRV4Star300x264.png
Views: 1977
Size:  49.9 KB

Global NCAP: Updated Renault Kwid and Honda Mobilio tested-20160919.png

And when you watch the crash-test of Thai Honda BRV and compare it with Indian Honda Mobilio, you will notice that BRV's windshield does not even crack.

There can only be two possibilities > Honda BR-V is safer than Mobilio (structural changes have been made) OR Made-in-India Hondas are less safer than ASEAN Hondas (since BRV uses the same chassis as Mobilio).
SmartCat is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 18:17   #18
Team-BHP Support

Why Mobilio?

Finally they test a Honda, but picked out the most irrelevant one from the lot. Amaze, City, Jazz etc would have made better sense.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 18:25   #19
BHPian

Hmm Renault still making sub standard cars...no lessons learnt. Kwid sales are booming so they are not bothered about safety and all...

Pleasantly surprised with Honda's performance. The first Indian Honda crash tested has done quite well, with the body structure remaining stable. Honda should standardize airbags in all their cars.

I wonder why NCAP chose Mobilio, which doesn't sell anyway. They could have picked a more relevant car like the Amaze for the test.

Its a good thing that at least Honda and Toyota are selling cars with relative better safety in India, and sacrificing features in their cars to curb costs. Now we know how Hyundai and Maruti are able to load their cars with zillion features and still able to price them low!

Last edited by heavenlybull : 19th September 2016 at 18:28.
heavenlybull is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 18:31   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Not sure if we can give Honda a clean chit yet. To begin with, a 3 star rated car (Eg: Mobilio/Baleno) is significantly LESS safer than a 4 star rated car (Eg: Polo/Etios). As a 3 star rated car, the made-in-India Mobilio gets 9.85 pts out of 17.
Agree, Any Honda with Airbags should score 4 or 5 stars. Most international variants of Honda cars do so and Honda should be ensuring the same for the Indian variants also (Irrespective of what ever cost cutting they do to meet the cost factors- Like the Etios example from Toyota)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why Mobilio?

Finally they test a Honda, but picked out the most irrelevant one from the lot. Amaze, City, Jazz etc would have made better sense.
On the plus side, with a 3 star for a Mobilio with airbags, one can safely assume that the rest of the portfolio will score equal or better considering the Mobilio appears to have the most cost cutting involved with respect to build quality.
Rajeevraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 19:01   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
On the plus side, with a 3 star for a Mobilio with airbags, one can safely assume that the rest of the portfolio will score equal or better considering the Mobilio appears to have the most cost cutting involved with respect to build quality.
Plastics yes. They were similar to others, so people were not happy considering the price point.

Build? We can't really assume IMO since Mobilio is way more expensive than the other siblings like Amaze and Brio.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 19:18   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Plastics yes. They were similar to others, so people were not happy considering the price point.

Build? We can't really assume IMO since Mobilio is way more expensive than the other siblings like Amaze and Brio.
Not a point backed by any solid facts. Just my personal feel since my sister has a Brio, an uncle has a City and a friend has a Mobilio. Based on my experience with these three, I always got the feel that the Mobilio seemed to be the most 'flimsy' (for want of a better word). Felt the Brio (and of course the City) were much better put together than the Mobilio.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 19:32   #23
BHPian

IMO, Honda should've done this on a BR-V or Jazz or City.

It would have been better had they done with the city since it seems to be losing out steam. The timing couldn't have been better to counter Ciaz.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 19th September 2016 at 19:33.
Old 19th September 2016, 20:16   #24
BHPian

Really glad that cars like Mobilio and Etios which were lambasted for build quality have scored 3 and 4 stars respectively but it extremely painful to see that an improved and revised and worked upon 4th version Kwid could only manage 1 star. What is more ironical is it was celebrated by public and media alike and even managed to secure the Team BHP Car of the Year.

Mobilio scoring 3 stars is not an achievement - but is a proof that Honda has not dropped to the lowness as was assumed by some enthusiast buyers. Comparing this with ASEAN BR-V might be a tad unfair - Yes, they are on the same platform and have a lot of similarities. But right from wheelbase to a lot of panels have been changed. So, even though my gut feeling says there might be a compromise in the Indian Hondas, I would not conclude that way.

All said, Honda and Toyota can stand with their heads held high in front of the Marutis and Mahindras at least. Honda on the other hand need to give the safety options - not as options but as standards - something to learn from Toyota and VW. I would also appreciate if they can make sure the structure is same as that is available in more mature markets. As of now, we have no concluding evidence for or against this.

Moreover, I would have appreciated NCAP if they had picked up more relevant models like the City or Jazz or even Amaze for this test.
Vigkey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 20:33   #25
BHPian

Personally being very frank, Renault shouldn't be fazed at all by this. Good body structure, ABS, Dual Airbags or 6 Airbags if we go couple segments above in hatchbacks don't sell much. It's the good sound system, nice looking interior, automatic folding mirrors, in the face design etc that sell. They've finally understood what most indian people want i.e more first in class features / creature comforts. In a nutshell disregard everything that's under the surface and spend all the money on everything else to make the best "India" oriented car.

Honestly till there are actual rules enforced I don't think anything will change. On the other hand, good on Honda to maintain quality in the mobilio. Just like other have already said, I would have liked a test of the jazz / city / brio a lot more. Jazz mostly to see how it compared to the variant in UK.
Swarit19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2016, 23:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:

Well,Mobilio comes under a completely different bracket from a taxing point of view and segment point of view. It has 1.5L petrol engine and it's length is greater than 4M. No point in comparing the price of a Mobilio with that of Amaze/Brio. One is a 7 seater and the other is a 5 seater.

Mobilio E-Variant costs roughly 7.25 ex-showrom Chennai. Brio E-variant costs roughly 4.75 ex-shwowroom Chennai. That is a difference of 2.5 lacs. Brio comes under 12% tax bracket while Mobilio comes under the 24% tax bracket.

I for one is quite happy that a supposedly cheap/low cost platform on which Mobilio is built is structurally sound compared to premium offerings from Suzuki. Example - Swift which is structurally unsafe.

Last edited by searacer932 : 19th September 2016 at 23:45.
searacer932 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 01:57   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And it was not a surprise for me, since Hondas always had that ACE body structure
International variants claim to be ACE + GCON structure, while Indian cars are only mentioned as ACE. Had the same doubt for BRV as well.

Hopefully, Global NCAP tests either City / BRV / Jazz so we know if they maintain the same structure here in our market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Example - Swift which is structurally unsafe.
True that.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 03:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would still like to congratulate Honda here for not compromising on the structural stability even on their cheap offering. I hope, the same holds true even for amaze and brio.
Quote:
pleasantly surprised to see that the airbag equipped variant scores 3 stars.
Seriously? Now even us well informed t-bhpians are settling for such crap? Guys the car scored just as much as a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. A product that was engineered and first launched in 1999; 15 whole years apart from the last century when safety was not as big a deal even in Europe as it is today for Christ's sake

Honda can surely do better. The Chevrolet Beat performs better in a small overlap frontal crash test and it is surprising to see the Mobilio's dashboard intrude so visibly in a relatively easy moderate frontal overlap crash test. I for one am absolutely disgusted by the attitude with which the once great Honda, is making and selling cars here in India. If quality and build have not even budged from what they were on products from the 90s, then I cannot find a way in which to compliment the brand. It is absolutely shameful.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 07:30   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Seriously? Now even us well informed t-bhpians are settling for such crap? Guys the car scored just as much as a 2001 Hyundai Elantra. A product that was engineered and first launched in 1999; 15 whole years apart from the last century when safety was not as big a deal even in Europe as it is today for Christ's sake
Well, I meant that I was surprised because I never expected the Mobilio to get 3 stars. Did not mean that it was acceptable from Honda (as I clarified in the subsequent posts quoted below). Most Indian cars tested so far have failed the test miserably even with airbags. From that context this is a small positive. From a global safety perspective we are nowhere there.

Quote:
Agree, Any Honda with Airbags should score 4 or 5 stars. Most international variants of Honda cars do so and Honda should be ensuring the same for the Indian variants also (Irrespective of what ever cost cutting they do to meet the cost factors- Like the Etios example from Toyota)
Quote:
Not a point backed by any solid facts. Just my personal feel since my sister has a Brio, an uncle has a City and a friend has a Mobilio. Based on my experience with these three, I always got the feel that the Mobilio seemed to be the most 'flimsy' (for want of a better word). Felt the Brio (and of course the City) were much better put together than the Mobilio.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 08:03   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
1999 star ratings are not comparable with 2016 ratings:

- Older tests were conducted at 30 to 35 mph as against 40 mph now
- These days, cars with extra active safety measures gets an extra star (Eg: Baleno with radar braking gets 4 star and BRV with ESP gets 5 stars)

Quote:
Honda can surely do better. The Chevrolet Beat performs better in a small overlap frontal crash test and it is surprising to see the Mobilio's dashboard intrude so visibly in a relatively easy moderate frontal overlap crash test.
Agree with this part. I expected nothing less than 4 stars. As you can see, the Mobilio dummy is going home with lot more than just bruises and headache.

Global NCAP: Updated Renault Kwid and Honda Mobilio tested-3.jpg

"Marginal" protection to chest, thigh and ankle in the airbag equipped Mobilio means there are unwanted intrusions into the cabin.
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed