Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2017, 16:55   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Airbags made mandatory for new cars from October 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanmay K View Post
AFAIK cars don't deploy airbags unless the passenger is wearing the seat belt.
If so, that is good to know. Is that a uniform feature? It should be, like I said.
Old 19th October 2017, 20:52   #92
Senior - BHPian

Someone I know had a collision in a Santa Fe with the rear of a incorrectly
Parked truck and the airbags didn't deploy in spite of all passengers wearing seat belts etc. While they raised this point with Hyundai, it looks like the manufacturer gave some talk about airbags being deployed in "certain conditions" etc.

From whatever I know, there are some sensors in the bumper and airbags should deploy if the sensors detect some collision.

Is there any other angle to airbag deployment?
Old 19th October 2017, 21:08   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Someone I know had a collision in a Santa Fe with the rear of a incorrectly
Parked truck and the airbags didn't deploy in spite of all passengers wearing seat belts etc. While they raised this point with Hyundai, it looks like the manufacturer gave some talk about airbags being deployed in "certain conditions" etc.

From whatever I know, there are some sensors in the bumper and airbags should deploy if the sensors detect some collision.

Is there any other angle to airbag deployment?

Airbags deploy Only during fatal incidents. It's by design. Airbag Sensors are placed behind the chassis and will trigger when the structure is compromised.
Manufacturers will find several reasons not to agree, as long as the occupants are safe, we should thank the chassis strength.
Old 19th October 2017, 21:32   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a welcome move to make airbags mandatory.

On the proposed constant beeping above 100 Kmph, I think it's a great move since I don't think any roads in India are safe for anything greater than 80Kmph. Even in the US with secured, barricaded and well-designed interstate highways, most states limit vehicles at 65 mph (~ 104 Kmph). Anything above it means you're waiting to get pulled over, depending on your luck.

Why do we think that we need to go over 80 Kmph on Indian highways? What with cattle, tractors, old women, trucks and what not criss-crossing our 6 laned NHs! IMO, we should be allowed to cross 3 digits on the speedometer only on barricaded expressways like the NICE road in Bangalore or those expressways between Delhi-Agra and Mumbai to Pune.

Of course, one may argue and argue about the German Autobahn system where speeds can often touch 200+ mph (~320+ Kmph) - but we're talking about the most stringent driver licensing nation on earth and pristine highway infrastructure. Moreover, German drivers take their driving very seriously. Drivers stick to lanes on the Autobahn according to their own speeds and there is none of that texting and driving nonsense that is plaguing American drivers. Driving is a privilege in Germany, whereas it is considered a right in the USA. The Germans have collectively and individually earned their right to drive fast.

Finally - back to the Indian context, a friend of mine with his diesel Swift Dzire used to take pride in his minimum speed of 120 Kmph. That was until he nearly died when a truck that was parked by the side of NH 47 suddenly reversed and blocked 2 lanes. The driver was drunk and reversed the truck, not knowing what he'd done. My friend's car was totalled....flattened. He was lucky to escape intact with some serious injuries.

One just can't argue with physics.

Last edited by locusjag : 19th October 2017 at 21:49. Reason: Some additional points about German driving conditions
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 21:56   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

My 75 & 69 year old FiL and MiL are now converts to 100% seatbelt usage for the last few years. Why? Seeing and hearing of fatal accidents amongst their close friend circles.

Nothing works like first-hand knowledge. This is after years of me crying myself hoarse!

I fully support this move as a backup measure.
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 06:21   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
we should be allowed to cross 3 digits on the speedometer only on barricaded expressways like the NICE road in Bangalore or those expressways between Delhi-Agra and Mumbai to Pune.
Well said.

I would add the Mumbai Pune e way to the list of roads where speeds in excess of 100 kmph are unsafe - almost every fatal accident that takes place there, and one does almost every other day, is attributed to overspeeding.

I don't know enough about the other two roads to comment.

But how is this too be enforced? Many highly educated Indians and even TBHP members flout driving rules regularly, so it isn't to do with of lack of education.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 09:16   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
But how is this too be enforced? Many highly educated Indians and even TBHP members flout driving rules regularly, so it isn't to do with of lack of education.
Put speed cameras all around and put heavy fines. This worked in Kerala's highways. For example, I got a fine of around 9000 INR in one year duration. The whole process is completely automated. And it's not just speed that the cameras monitor. They monitor traffic light violations and even seat belts! I'm sure that the government is making more money from these speed camera's fines than what they had to spend on them.

I did try cheating the speed cameras with the Waze app. But, then I started realizing that it's not worth the effort and I started sticking to speed limits on most roads except for short bursts where I need to get away from bad drivers. And after driving within the speed limits, I started reeping the benefits of it in terms of
  • Better mileage
  • More life for the brake pads
  • Less driving fatigue ( It's not the driving time that makes you tired, but the mental stress that you put yourself into during every over taking in busy traffic )
  • Passengers are at peace
Now that I've realized the benefits, I've come down atleast 20-40 kmph on top speed on most roads. Even though the initial trigger was the speed cameras, it also taught me the benefits of relaxed driving. There is a distinct change in the driving pattern of vehicles in Kerala before and after the speed camera. You hardly see anyone cutting the traffic signal these days in Kerala. The speed has come down a lot as well.

Last edited by amalji : 20th October 2017 at 09:24.
amalji is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 09:23   #98
Senior - BHPian

So what other than vested interests may be stopping deploying this nationwide?

It follows from this that proportionately, a lot less than the 300-400 daily deaths in road accidents must be in Kerala. I doubt even this kind of breakdown of that statistic is made public.

Last edited by Sawyer : 20th October 2017 at 09:26.
Old 20th October 2017, 09:31   #99
BANNED

Excellent. Pretty soon we shall have the low cost lobby crying out. For many folk accidents happen to someone else, and money saved is paramount. These are the same chaps who avoid belts or helmets.
Old 20th October 2017, 09:32   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
So what other than vested interests may be stopping deploying this nationwide?

It follows from this that proportionately, a lot less than the 300-400 daily deaths in road accidents must be in Kerala. I doubt even this kind of breakdown of that statistic is made public.
Kerala is notorious for road accidents always because of the narrow 2 lane highways we have and people trying to rush through these narrow highways. There's rarely a long drive on NH47 where you don't see an accident. Probably, that could be one reason why the government had to take this drastic measure.

The more important measure of highway widening is still left pending. Governments are fighting over whether we need a 30 meter, 45 meter or 60 meter highway for about a decade. By the time, they conclude on that the need would be 90 meters highway.

And here is the statistics for Kerala's road accidents.

The good thing is that the road accidents and the injuries are coming down even after the exponential increase in the number of vehicles on the roads. The bad thing is that accident deaths still continues to increase. I'm sure, the increase in 2 wheelers and their accidents contribute to that.

Airbags made mandatory for new cars from October 2017-screen-shot-20171020-9.40.25-am.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
These are the same chaps who avoid belts or helmets.
In the case of seat belts, many people do not get the logic as to how that could save them in case of an accident ( because it feels very loose ). I had to pull it in a quick motion and show it to them as to how it would protect them in case of an unfortunate incident.

Last edited by amalji : 20th October 2017 at 09:49.
amalji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 11:31   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post

Let automakers cut or make optional features like decals/stickers, DRLs and alloy wheels and give safety features instead, if they are concerned about cost.

There should also be fines for the idiots who drive around with the ORVMs folded, and in general an upping for fine for bad driving habits. As per current law, all hell breaks loose if you are in some kind of accident, but the behavior of people on the road that leads to accidents is not addressed.
This a good move (for once!) by the government. I also agree regarding the rear view mirrors. During my daily commute, roughly 3/10 cars have their rear view mirrors folded. About half the two wheelers I see have *no* rear view mirrors at all, a further 30% have the mirror turned down or dangling from the socket. IMHO it is this that should be policed instead of helmets. Don't get me wrong, I'd never even consider getting on a two wheeler without a helmet, but I'd rather have enforcement resources spent on rules that affect others on the road.
Old 20th October 2017, 14:02   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

The good thing is that the road accidents and the injuries are coming down even after the exponential increase in the number of vehicles on the roads.
What these statistics hide is the fact that the number of vehicles have gone up exponentially during this time , yet the accident rate has remained flat. A commendable achievement indeed.

They could plot a graph with the number of vehicles to put the point across even better.

Having said that, Kerala is a unique place where speed kills , literally. It is suicidal to drive over 80 kmph in 2 lane roads especially at night. But in the plains, most accidents are due to driver error, poor maintenance of vehicles , poor lane discipline.

What is your view on the same 80 kmph limit being applied even in the new 4 lane roads of Kerala ? Say the Trivandrum -Kovalam stretch.That is taking profiteering to new levels.

For example, the number of people dying in two wheeler accidents is high in Tamil Nadu. Very few deaths from four wheelers, that very time it happens, there is a news article about it. No amount of speed enforcement on highways is going to reduce bike accidents unless most of them upgrade to cars. Speed cameras everywhere will only end up filling the coffers of the government and harassing motorists.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 20th October 2017 at 14:07.
Old 29th October 2017, 07:36   #103
BHPian

As reported by TOI :

Quote:
All cars manufactured after July 1, 2019, to be equipped with airbags, seat-belt reminders, alert systems for speeds beyond 80kmph, reverse parking alerts, as well as manual override over the central locking system for emergencies.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/61313493.cms

Not sure if they have extended the older timeline. This in addition to the new crash testing norms would surely enhance safety on road.

I feel there should be stricter rules for getting a DL as well. Driver is the biggest and most important safety equipment a vehicle can have. Present system is too slack and I’ve seen driving school fellas doing the test for applicants. Driving school cars should be banned from DL test area and RTO should put one generic vehicle of their own for testing each class of vehicle.

Last edited by drnilswap : 29th October 2017 at 07:46.
drnilswap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 10:55   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnilswap View Post
As reported by TOI :
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/61313493.cms

This in addition to the new crash testing norms would surely enhance safety on road.
From this Link :

Quote:
"The new cars will be fitted with a system that issues audio alerts when the speed crosses 80kmph. The alert will be sharper when the vehicle crosses 100kmph, and non-stop when it's over 120 kmph," said a transport ministry official.
The audible warning is absolutely unnecessary. So while on Expressway if I am cruising at 100 kmph where speed limit is also 100 kmph, I would still be hearing that warning.

80 kmph is way too less for modern times and if driving speed is 80 kmph max., the low average speeds of Indian highways will further see a reduction. 90-100 kmph should be ideal cruising speed on highways I believe.

Somehow, the dealerships/mechanics would figure a way out to disable the system I hope. Surprisingly, there is no mention of crash tests implementation data/timeline and if they will be in tune with Euro NCAP or something on similar lines. How about implementing the small overlap crash test conducted by IIHS in USA ? Till now IIHS conducted small overlap crash tests only on driver's side, but recently they have started to small overlap test on passenger side too. Another thing they can add is headlight performance but that's super high expectations I guess.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th October 2017 at 10:59.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 11:26   #105
Senior - BHPian

Bureaucrats with little practical experience of the domain they survey are capable of making the silliest of rules. Ministers that aren't educated enough for the portfolios they hold allow these rules to become law.

These actions remind me of a situation I often encounter in my city; concrete roads with decent surfaces with speed breakers every 100-200 metres. It would have been cheaper to leave the earlier poor surfaces which have the same end effect on traffic speeds. Why waste money first on the roads and then on the building of speed breakers?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks