Team-BHP - Haryana: Auto-dippers made mandatory for transport vehicles
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Haryana: Auto-dippers made mandatory for transport vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/181925-haryana-auto-dippers-made-mandatory-transport-vehicles.html)

The Haryana Government has made it mandatory for new four-wheeled transport vehicles in the state to be equipped with auto-dippers. This step has been taken in an effort to enhance road safety and minimise accidents during the night. Transport vehicles without auto-dippers won’t be registered by the state's registration authorities.

Additionally, to get a registration, the auto-dipper system fitted to a vehicle must be sourced from a manufacturer that is approved by the transport department. Equipment manufacturers who wish to get their auto-dipper system approved will need to declare that the installation of the system can be performed without tampering the original wiring of the vehicle. They will also be required to submit one sample of the auto-dipper system with its application on a transport vehicle, for inspection and verification.

Existing transport vehicles in Haryana will also be required to be fitted with auto-dippers in the future. However, no specific time window has yet been announced for this job.

An auto-dipper system is programmed to automatically lower the headlight beam of a vehicle by sensing oncoming traffic. This helps to avoid other drivers from being blinded by high beams.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP News

Good decision but they haven't thought about implementation. How will manufacturers equip their vehicles with this device in such a short time frame? How will traffic police check whether the existing vehicle is fitted with one?
In my opinion they should have made such device available in market and then should have given a timeline to comply.

I agree with Praneel here. Although its a fantastic move my the transport ministry. I am worried about its implementation especially with the existing trucks.

Also so long as we dont get a Pan- India notification, this will hardly make any impact to the bigger scale of things.

They should first ensure all trucks have working headlights for auto dippers to function.
What about auxillary lights that many truckers fit?

This is one appreciable move and should surely bring down accidents at nights and enhance road safety. :thumbs up

Some decent and stern timeline can be given for old vehicles to adopt the change. But, what about the auxiliary lights that is fitted in many cars?

Hope this is implemented nationwide after Haryana succeeds this move.

Cheers!

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Finally someone really makes sensible decisions :thumbs up
Really nice to see a State government put its authority to some real use. Previously, GJ tried with some fancy yellow stickers on headlamps (without realizing high beam positions on different cars would be different) In my honest opinion, this should be made mandatory across the country - and like the sun film ban, all cars should be checked for a retro-fit.

I have had many irritating moments with a Fortuner or a van standing behind me at the signal with the high beam glaring away to glory. I wholeheartedly want to give Haryana Government a standing ovation clap:

Please! This should be made mandatory for all vehicles from say six months from now. Its not that difficult to implement. Another thing is the horns. Its high time, companies making those obnoxious horns be made to pay for their deeds. Its much easier to make manufacturers comply than the common man.

This should be mandatory for all vehicles (6/4/2 wheelers). Why only transport vehicles? We face these issues with cars and bikes too.

Hi All,

I wanted to create a thread on this for a long time now, but did not get sufficient time for this. I would want to share my experience with this Auto Dipper Scam.

My brother had purchased a TATA SuperAce. When we went to get the Passing and registration done for the vehicle we were told that we would need this Auto Dipper to be installed. We paid 4200 for this device. The technicians they had there were guys from Villages and had no clue about the installation. They were rude and abusive. They claimed that they were trained by the company for the installation. The first car which they worked on in front of me was an excent. After spending an hour's time they left it in the middle in non working condition since the Auto Dipper was not functioning. And it happened with four other cars before these guys started working on our vehicle. He claimed that it would be a 5 minutes job on our vehicle. They spent another hour trying to get it working but it didn't. So finally all of us were told that what is important is to have a bill for auto dipper to submit along with other documents of the vehicle for registration. Nobody will check if the device is working or not. When we questioned they suggested to get the vehicle at another installation centre which was 70 KMs Away. So in a nutshell we got our vehicle registered. The auto dipper thing is there in the vehicle as a show piece not connected anywhere. About the authorisation there were only two companies manufacturing this when we got our vehicle registered in June. Both were from Ludhiana and owned by same guy. And what we heard is this guy is well connected in the system.

So for me, this is nothing more than a Scam. While it was a good initiative whose responsibility it is to ensure such things do not occur in the system. The government have given contracts to local vendors for installation. Now these local contractors are nothing but locals having good connections. They are least bothered about someone complaining about how they are working and hence this attitude.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aravind.anand (Post 4097421)
I have had many irritating moments with a Fortuner or a van standing behind me at the signal with the high beam glaring away to glory. I wholeheartedly want to give Haryana Government a standing ovation clap:

Sir, this is not going to work in your favor as Fortuner will still have its high beams on unless there is another vehicle coming from the opposite end. Knowing Haryana, this is another ATM card for cash starved policemen now.

Moreover, this was proposed by Transport Ministry a few years ago IMO. The proposal was scrapped because of some flaws in the mechanism. One example is as follows: Suppose you re about to take a large right hand curve on a relatively dark highway so your beam will be towards the shoulder/bushes/trees (on your left side) as the case may be. There is another vehicle approaching from other side with his high beam directed towards your face. Now your lights will dip after sensing the lights but he will merrily drive with his high beams blinding you. End result - you are blinded by high beams and at the same time you don't know if there is an animal coming out of the bushes on your left as you are driving with low beams. You don't even know how the curve is bending right.

Is there any information on how many countries have made auto dimming lights mandatory and what is the end result?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sourabhzen (Post 4098504)
Is there any information on how many countries have made auto dimming lights mandatory and what is the end result?

From what I could gather, none. This is another one of those impressive Engineering College projects that have remained at that. There were these gentlemen who wanted to limit the speed of all vehicles to the permitted maximum speeds on our roads. There were more open questions than there are advantages of such a system. The auto-dimming system is also one such system.

With the way R&D is progressing in the EU, we would be able to see glare-free long beams and adaptive bending lights in more vehicles, in a few years down the line. Until then, we're best left to use our beams judiciously and mutter a silent curse at the inconsiderate imbecile who's shining all he's got, on our face.