Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should electric and hybrid vehicles produce an artificial noise as mandated by the NHTSA?
Yes 80 43.48%
No 95 51.63%
Don't know/can't say 9 4.89%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2016, 14:53   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: *EVs, Make Some Noise!* | NHTSA sets 'Quiet Car' safety standards from 2019

I wonder if we'll have road runner type 'beep beep' sound!

EVs don't need to make noise because -

1) Road and tyre noise is enough
2) Traffic is very dense on our roads. Even dogs look both ways before crossing the road.
3) Indian drivers are not shy of using the horn.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 15:10   #17
BHPian

Apparently we are moving towards a noise free era. Modern car engines are quite silent and tyre noise at high speed is enough to signal people or animal crossing roads.

Faking noise will not give pleasure to the driver either (no pun intended), so I am going to vote No.
livetodrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 15:11   #18
BHPian

Voted Yes
There is a scientific reason behind this. Research shows the fastest sense to respond is the sense of sound because it takes eight to ten milliseconds to get to the brain. The slowest sense is the sense of smell for the scent waves have to go through your nose before the brain.
So our Brain senses a vehicle approaching even before we see through our eyes. Isnt is better to know something faster ??!!!
Sarath_MoJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 15:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Noise, be it real or artificial at then end is still a "Noise". While my suggestion is they give it as an option or add on pack as I am sure there are people who like it with zero noise. Also what is the big deal with artificial noise? Don't the supercar manufacturers alter the system to get that perfect sound? I am sure they do this in LFA, where the car was sent to Yamaha acoustics just to ensure the LFA sounded perfect.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 16:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

A blind person wouldn't be doing any sudden movements and nor do they cross roads briskly walking across so it doesn't make sense to me.

To my head, the only situation it covers is when the driver isn't paying attention on the road, a blind guy is planning to cross the street, there is no other traffic moving in the direction of the noiseless EV car and there's nobody else to warn the blind guy.

Honestly, there are far more frequently occurring but controllable situations that the government can focus on instead of such rare instances.
fine69 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 19:11   #21
BHPian

Voted "No".

Instead of fake noise, we need the below things.

1. Sensible drivers, who can safely drive a vehicle.
2. Sensible pedestrians, who knows how to behave while walking on the road.
EPMV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 19:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Voted YES.
In the American context, moving slowly around the suburbs without any noise could prove disastrous in some cases. Although rare, it's not to be ignored.

In the crowded cities of India, I think it's hardly required. The average Indian pedestrian is very aware about his surroundings.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 19:50   #23
BHPian

Voted no.

While making noise is helpful for pedestrians, especially in a pedestrian friendly country like the US, the onus is on the driver to drive safe. One of the main things that strikes you while driving an EV is its lack of noise - it's a USP and it promises a future (if EVs are the future) with less noise pollution.

In India, the case is even stronger. Horns are used liberally here, adding noise doesn't make sense at all.
sidzzone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 23:32   #24
BHPian

Voted no.

Agreed with sidzzone upon the fact that one of the USPs of EVs is the lack of sound! As far as my very limited knowledge goes, I think we should focus more on better driver training and more organized atmosphere for both the drivers and the pedestrians. As long as the cars aren't dead silent(read: no tire noise etc) I don't see the point of doing this. You do always have the option of honking softly while you are approaching a crowded/pedestrian frequented area.

Think about a situation where this feature would be absolutely unnecessary and how irritating it would be for the driver. I will definitely take a petrol car out for a spin if it comes down to aural pleasure, thank you.

In India, there are rare moments where I can actually hear the engines of other cars purr, with the honking and other noises taking over at most crowded places. This is especially true for petrols.

As stated by SS-T Sir, the same can be applied to cyclists and other cars which are *purposefully* designed to be silent. Sounds quite odd, isn't it?

Neel

P.S.: One thing that comes to mind, although not very relevant in this discussion, is how easily this can be applied to older EVs if this practice comes into action. Given the technological advancement that most of them showcase, this shouldn't be a problem at all!

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 24th November 2016 at 23:35.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 03:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

In US, Being a pedestrian or encountering one is quite a rare scenario, sidewalks are pretty much non-existent. Even in an university town where the car ownership is much lesser, walking a lot is not a preferred mode of transportation. That said, the speeds are very less in high pedestrian areas. So either the pedestrian has to common sense to look around before crossing or the car driver senses and stops. This last point holds true in Europe too. Even at low speeds like 10-20 kmph road noise is a give away from a distance, much more than engine noise. Lot of petrol and diesel vehicles are pretty silent these days, heck even the F1 power units are silent.

So I see no point to justify noise in EVs/hybrids. Its like expecting cycles (that are capable of similar speeds) to create noise so pedestrians are aware
narayans80 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 12:45   #26
BHPian

I believe if there is a subtle sound on the outside while enjoying silence inside, it would make for an ideal solution. In this chaotic life, silence will soon be a luxury.
Pratzgh1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 18:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2W-4W View Post
Voted Yes.

P.S: Wouldn't it be nice that we can alter the sound as per our mood. Just like we change songs in ICE...
Oh no! I was expecting someone would want to do that! Please no!

I find musical ringtones annoying - they are such warped manifestations of real music and sound awful, plus sometimes it is difficult to tell if it is a phone ringing.

Similarly, I wish all EV manufacturers would select one tone that varied with speed for each model and leave it at that with no option to change - this is a safety feature after all and not a vanity feature.

Have you seen those buses with flashing green lights on the front? What is that supposed to mean? Green means "GO"? Same with flashing blue and red on some vehicles - police, ambulance or just being a nuisance?

Safety, that's it! No other messages with the sound.

And I agree with "no sound", not now, but some time in the future when EVs have taken over.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 18:46   #28
BHPian

Voted No:

Reason:
If you see most of the Petrol Cars that we drive, hardly make any sound at low speeds. Not all are V6 or V8. My City Petrol hardly makes any sound. I was parking it at my work place and there was someone walking ahead of me in the parking. That guy didn't realize I was approaching and was taken aback when he turned to go some other way. Honestly, there was no point in honking as I don't like to use the horn myself and I was in no hurry.

Pedestrians should use their common sense when crossing roads and so do the drivers. Sound or No Sound it will not be a problem in India.
aghate is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2016, 19:27   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
Pedestrians should use their common sense when crossing roads and so do the drivers. Sound or No Sound it will not be a problem in India.
Very true. How many times we have thought our horns are futile? Everyone honks on a busy road, as if honking makes the vehicles in front run faster, clearing up the space. Smaller vehicles have a practise of fitting bigger horns to make sure they get space, as the drivers seem to think they get bullied for their size without the horns! Bigger vehicles fit bigger horns as it would be fitting for their size!
All such non sense has resulted only in increasing noise pollution, and nowadays nobody listens to any kind of noise on road. Caution is an expired product now.
At this time, in a country like India, where noise madness rules, it does not makes any sense to ask whether the mild noise given by the engine would help any pedestrian avoid noise.
But in countries where one can drive years together without knowing where to press for horn, people get alerts based on the mild engine noises. EVs making such fake noises would actually help. Voted Yes.
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2016, 12:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

I have voted a yes, but it should be a sound (pleasing) not a noise (harsh/Unwanted). Horn is a sharp high decible noise which sould be avoided, but some amount of sound (not harsh) is needed for alerting other road users.
Motors also make a sound while in operation, even if this sound is made audible enough to be heard a few meters ahead of the car it will be enough.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks