Team-BHP - Bull bars, good or bad??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Bull bars, good or bad?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/18381-bull-bars-good-bad.html)

I am going in for the Scorpio realllll soon... and am kind of deciding on what accessories to "acquire"!! :)

Have always been fascinated by bull bars on the SUVs, great looks, adds to the macho image of the car, but is a great deterrent and is quite handy in Delhi, for the paint job I mean...

But how good and safe are they? I mean for the chasis. Was discussing this with a friend who just got a DICOR and he didnt go in for one as they apparently are bolted on to the chasis and it might actually dis-aligning(!?) in case of a collision. Well the least of the concerns I know, but still.

So what do you all say then?? Good, BAD??

Quote:

Originally Posted by superman

Well the least of the concerns I know,

So what do you all say then?? Good, BAD??

why is it least of your concerns.you asked a question and answered it yourself.yes,it is bad for your vehicke as in a major collision,the force will be transferred to the chassis and it will get misaligned.also while driving you have to take into account the extra length that the bull bar adds to your car.otherwise you'll keep bumping into the cars in front of you.apart from a butch look it doesnt offer anything else.

in case of a small accidents bull guard helps in protecting your front bumpers it also helps u in getting a better judgement from the front incase of a huge vehicle like a suv.
so i say go for it
anyways in case of a huge collision there will definitely be some alignement issues whether or not u put on the bull guard.

Its dangerous. If u knock down a pedestrian by accident,it'll injure him a lot seriously than standard bumpers.Hence, i removed the bull-bars from my sumo.
Use bull-bars only if it comes as OE.

Seen taveras with something like a bull-bar for the rear bumper,it makes sense since in case of Most big vehicles [muvs/suvs] in traffic two wheelers some how manage to bang into you from behind.

but i think you can consider it a good option in case you want to fit a set if fog/clear lamps like hella 2000,

you can buy some thing like carry-boy fit it with above said fit it hours before your out-station or fog situations and remove it when in city,
since scorpio bumpers do not protrude too much outside this seems like a better idea,otherwise i agree with others.

Would be a no-no if your SUV had airbags as it apparently may interfere with the sensors & deployment of airbags (as I was reading in my Dicor manual) but since the Scorpio doesn't have airbags it should be OK from that angle.........but aesthetically? Dunno, haven't seen one, but I'd think it would spoil the beauty of the front airdams etc?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellspawn
why is it least of your concerns.you asked a question and answered it yourself..

Well chasis alignment issues should be one of the lesser conerns in case of a mishap, GOD forbid :Shockked:

Does M&M provide bull bars as OE, the dealers do offer it as part of accessories though!!

Any idea??

Bull bars on any vehicle is a whole load of BULL according to me...

Bull bars are definitely bad. They only look "macho" and save you from small scratches, but in a big collision they will cause more harm than good to your car and to any pedestrians involved.

A friend of mine was driving in bumper to bumper traffic in his 800. He did not stop in time and on the second gear hit the car in front. He was gleeful that his bull bar had taken all the force and the bumper was intact. Then it was pointed out that the bullbar was tilted, which meant it being solid, it was in fact the supports under the car that were twisted. His mechanic gave him a royal firing. He does not have a bull bar now.

I guess the macho image comes at a cost!! Well reading all this might just not go in for it right now..... atleast the steel ones.

One other thing, I saw a lot of Scorpios with a different types of bull bar these days, sides are steel but the middle part is all cladding color plastic.

Any idea where this one gets bolted?

I dunno what you mean but the bull bar on my GLx is all steel and this front cladding of fibre is bolted on this. Guys I wnated to post an image of that. How do I do it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by superman
I guess the macho image comes at a cost!! Well reading all this might just not go in for it right now..... atleast the steel ones.

One other thing, I saw a lot of Scorpios with a different types of bull bar these days, sides are steel but the middle part is all cladding color plastic.

Any idea where this one gets bolted?

with the scorpio, i wud definately recommend the Bullbar! they look awesome, give the macho look, and an suv is totally incomplete without a bullbar in front of it. It will save u from minor accidents, but while major accidents, it will go kaput! :) and the insurance guys are not goin to pay for it if u getting it done outside the showroom in most cases.