Team-BHP - Honda recalls 41,580 cars (Jazz, City, Civic & Accord) to fix faulty Takata airbag inflators
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Honda recalls 41,580 cars (Jazz, City, Civic & Accord) to fix faulty Takata airbag inflators (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/183858-honda-recalls-41-580-cars-jazz-city-civic-accord-fix-faulty-takata-airbag-inflators.html)

Honda recalls over 41,000 vehicles in India due to Takata airbag issue

NEW DELHI, JANUARY 31:
Premium cars maker, Honda Cars India Ltd (HCIL) on Tuesday said that it will voluntarily replace Takata passenger front airbag inflators of 41,580 vehicles of previous generation of Jazz, City, Civic and Accord as part of Honda’s precautionary global recall campaign concerning Takata front airbag inflators.

The replacement will be carried out free of cost at HCIL dealerships across India, it said.

“The replacement of inflators for the affected models would begin immediately and the company will communicate with customers directly,” HCIL said.

Out of the total 41,580 vehicles, number of Jazz includes 7,265 units, Civic 1,200 units and Accord 659 units – all manufactured in 2012..

The maximum number of recall is of the company’s best selling model City with 32,456 units, manufactured in 2012.

The customers can check whether their cars are covered under this campaign by submitting their 17 character alpha-numeric Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on the special microsite which has been created on the company’s website, it added.
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...cle9512280.ece

Quote:

Originally Posted by virgopal (Post 4137456)
Honda recalls over 41,000 vehicles in India due to Takata airbag issue

I am really worried, this time my car is in the list, what the hell HONDA :Frustrati, why not earlier. Mine is 2008 manufactured car, how come mine was not recalled earlier?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecenandu (Post 4137572)
I am really worried, this time my car is in the list, what the hell HONDA :Frustrati, why not earlier. Mine is 2008 manufactured car, how come mine was not recalled earlier?

Should be due to logistics, finance concerns and parts availability. As the recall is happening world over.

Almost all cars with Takata airbags will be recalled in batches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4137634)
Should be due to logistics, finance concerns and parts availability. As the recall is happening world over.

Wow, if that is the case, it is really worrying.

Hmm, maybe they recalled the batches based on priority(likelihood of failure due to a know design flaw), the lower priority ones are being recalled on a later date.

This is the second recall for our car in 9 years. First one was for something related to engine, spring for the valves, IIRC.

Its mixed emotion for me, so people who are not in the current list will be called on a later date? Which other manufacturers are using the Takata airbags in India, is it only Honda that is still doing the recalls now in India?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4137634)

Exactly. My City was part of the earlier recall for the driver side airbag. I just checked and the passenger airbag is included in this recall.

I am not happy about it, but I understand logistics.

Honda Cars India has issued a voluntary recall for 41,580 vehicles in order to replace faulty front airbag inflators. 2012 manufactured models of the previous-gen Honda Jazz, City, Civic and Accord have been affected by the said recall. This is part of Honda's precautionary global recall campaign that is currently underway in various countries to fix faulty Takata airbag inflators. Honda India had recalled 1,90,578 vehicles in July last year, and has now extended the recall notice to include more cars.

Honda has announced that it will be starting the recall drive immediately. The automaker will directly contact the affected customers. Owners can also check whether or not their car is listed for recall by submitting the 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (or Chassis Number) starting with MAK…, JHM… etc. on Honda's website. The inspection and replacement of airbag inflators will be carried out free of cost.

Number of affected vehicles under the said recall are as follows:
• Honda Jazz - 7,265 units
• Honda City - 32,456 units
• Honda Civic - 1,200 units
• Honda Accord - 659 units

Honda recalls 41,580 cars (Jazz, City, Civic & Accord) to fix faulty Takata airbag inflators-download-1.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Quote:

Originally Posted by dZired (Post 4137775)
Honda India had recalled 1,90,578 vehicles in July last year, and has now extended the recall notice to include more cars.

The total number stands at 5,27,131 cars now as far as I know, including the current recall of 41,580 cars.

July 2016 - 1,90,578 cars.
February 2016 - 57,676 cars.

September 2015 - 2,23,578 cars.
May 2015 - 11,381 cars.

October 2014 - 2338 cars.

Truly appreciate Honda for taking the responsibility even though our country does not have strict rules for recall.

Our Jazz is under recall. Need to get this sorted out.

One question is why did it take so long for them to recall when the issue is know almost a year back. Would they not know what batch of airbag inflators may fail.

Can someone please share the latest link for checking? I tried the Honda website but there is no mention of this recall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naikameya (Post 4138059)
Can someone please share the latest link for checking? I tried the Honda website but there is no mention of this recall.

Put your VIN here:
https://www.hondacarindia.com/Unifie...erInquiry.aspx

It should tell you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by indian21r (Post 4137851)
Our Jazz is under recall. Need to get this sorted out.

One question is why did it take so long for them to recall when the issue is know almost a year back. Would they not know what batch of airbag inflators may fail.

Takata is facing a global crisis. They need to replace millions of units. I have read that it would take couple of years for Takata to manufacture new units to replace with faulty ones. Hence, the delay!!

Weird from Honda.

In the last recall (~6 months back) it showed only driver side is faulty and Honda replaced only driver side airbag, and now when I checked it shows passenger side airbag needs replacement, why couldn't they do both in the last recall, would have saved all the pain and time for both me and Honda.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Naren (Post 4138409)
Takata is facing a global crisis. They need to replace millions of units. I have read that it would take couple of years for Takata to manufacture new units to replace with faulty ones. Hence, the delay!!

I Guess it is true but when one is on the receiving end with respect to safety it is painful. Anyway hoping never to be in a situation to even use them

I am going to ask my sister for the VIN of her Honda Brio. I see no info about Amaze and Brio here. Are they not affected?

They are talking about cars manufactured in 2012. The Brio was already here, if I am not wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecenandu (Post 4137572)

The current recall is for the passenger side airbag. Honda has been dealing with the driver side airbag module recall for the last couple of years or so.

I'd be surprised if your City is listed for the passenger side airbag module but you didn't get a call regarding the driver-side.

My June '09 purchased City (SMT) got the driver side module replaced in Sept last year, and now I've been getting calls for the passenger side.