Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2017, 15:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: ABS to be mandatory for all cars from April 2019

Definitely a welcome move. But, I am surprised, How will the government even verify whether a given old vehicle has been retrofit with ABS or not after 2019?

Will they stop every old vehicle on the road and check?

And what if a given vehicle is not fitted with ABS ? What is the penalty?

IMHO, this very thought of notification by Government is due to vested interests of some party and really not in the Public interest

EDIT:
I am sorry, I interpreted it wrongly. Now, I understand the notification in right way. Thanks to SchumiFan

Last edited by gkveda : 20th February 2017 at 16:00.
Old 20th February 2017, 15:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Definitely a welcome move. But, I am surprised, How will the government even verify whether a given old vehicle has been retrofit with ABS or not after 2019?

Will they stop every old vehicle on the road and check?

And what if a given vehicle is not fitted with ABS ? What is the penalty?

IMHO, this very thought of notification by Government is due to vested interests of some party and really not in the Public interest

I don't think the existing vehicles will be affected by this. I mean, the ones sold to customers already.

New models which are launched/released after April 2018 should have ABS as mandatory.

Existing models sold after April 2019 should have ABS as mandatory.
SchumiFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 15:56   #33
BHPian

A welcome but half-hearted move. Why only ABS? I believe airbags (at least diver + front passenger) would need to be made mandatory. Nevertheless something better than nothing.
Old 20th February 2017, 16:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Before that, they should make ESP mandatory. Simpler & cheaper than 6 airbags. It's especially important as less than 1 out of 1,000 drivers on the road know what to do when the car oversteers. ESP can also be a life-saver in case of a sudden manoeuvre (say, you swerve to avoid something unexpected in your path).
Tell me about it!! I have first hand experience, having crashed my car while avoiding a dog. (Were you hinting at that )

So, I completely agree with you here - ESP should also be included in the mandatory list. Is there any way we can pressurise the government in this direction?
Old 20th February 2017, 16:42   #35
BHPian

I would support as far as making it mandatory for car makers to provide ABS, Airbags (atleast 2) and ESP in any vehicle model before they can have any one (or more) of - KESS, sunroof, auto wipers, DRLs, Auto headlamps and other such fancy features. (means: you cant sell a model having key less entry system, if it does not have the above safety features).
Old 20th February 2017, 16:49   #36
BHPian

It's about time they enforce this rule. IIRC, Back in 2006, I was discussing about this with a friend of mine that why don't manufacturers make ABS and Airbags as a standard fitment across all the models. Sure, Cars will get even more expensive. But does anyone seriously care about that given that the price you'd be paying will be your life or any grievous injury which might affect one badly?
Old 20th February 2017, 19:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Excellent decision this but just want to know if ABS modules and components can be fixed by road side mechanics or will always need a proper workshop to repair and service. Just asking as I am wondering how rural Boleros once equipped with ABS be serviced after all the free services are over. I know at least 2 owners in my village in MP who only do oil and greasing and other jugaad services at a nearby shop and never visit a Mahindra service center more than 60 kms away unless absolutely needed.
Old 20th February 2017, 21:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Next up, I hope they bring something mandating child safety as well. Mandatory child seats and ISOFIX are somethings that needed for buyers with kids. There are hardly 3 models south of 15 lakhs that are sale, Etios, Ecosport and City. Ciaz might be the fourth one in the near future.
Child Seats can be fitted without ISOFIX as well. (Using existing seat belts).

In EU, it is the responsibility of the parent/driver to purchase a child seat for his child under 15Kg. Car makers do not provide this.
Infants travelling in the car without child seat will attract fines instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Just asking as I am wondering how rural Boleros once equipped with ABS be serviced after all the free services are over. I know at least 2 owners in my village in MP who only do oil and greasing and other jugaad services at a nearby shop and never visit a Mahindra service center more than 60 kms away unless absolutely needed.
Never heard about servicing requirements of ABS modules.
ABS modules will need to be replaced if found faulty.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 20th February 2017 at 21:47. Reason: added comment
Old 20th February 2017, 21:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
In EU, it is the responsibility of the parent/driver to purchase a child seat for his child under 15Kg.
I know man, same goes to US as well. Just for clarity i'll rephrase what I meant in my earlier post.

- Mandatory child seat usage for kids < 12 years as a rule. Like how seat belts are being enforced. As of today, car seat is a near alien concept in India.
- Mandatory ISOFIX mounts available as a child safety feature in cars.

Hope this clears things up.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 01:22   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_d_Kool View Post
Why only ABS? I believe airbags (at least diver + front passenger) would need to be made mandatory.
The airbags (most likely driver+passenger) as well as couple of other safety norms are going to applicable in October this year. Let's cross our fingers to see whether all manufacturers comply to them religiously.

Reference:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...er-2017-a.html
Old 21st February 2017, 07:51   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X202 View Post
One thing I do not understand is that why it is made mandatory from 2019 April. Why so much time is given for manufacturers when the technology is commercially available with suppliers and most of the manufacturers have this feature on their top of the range variants?
If ABS was available in one of the trim (most probably the top end) deploying it across all variants is easy task (comparatively) Think of a wild example like Maruti Omni. That's going to be a complete new development of ABS and supporting systems, along with their validation and homologation which is quite time consuming (at least more than a year) That's the reason why the time frame for New launch is limited to Apr'18 and for current production vehicles it is set with some more buffer.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2017, 10:15   #42
BHPian

This is a welcome move , first airbags and now ABS.

If only these are madatory, customers will have no choice but to buy a car with airbags & ABS at least. Recently I had a tough time in convincing a colleague to go for a model with ABS atleast if not airbags. The person was looking @ Celerio and Tiago, and is hell bent on buying the Celerio VXi to save 50K.

Showed him videos on how effective ABS can be, but he says he'll drive very slowly and only in the city . Need less to say I failed to convince him for now but we'll keep pursuing.

With this mandate, these people will have no choice but to buy safer cars. Could have been earlier than 2019, better late than never.

Quote:
Next up, I hope they bring something mandating child safety as well. Mandatory child seats and ISOFIX are somethings that needed for buyers with kids.
True. What irks me is cars like Creta offer it only on AT, I fail to understand the logic as to why a feature like ISOFIX has to be only on AT and not on MT.
Lots of models cost more than a million bucks but you can't carry your child safely

Quote:
There are hardly 3 models south of 15 lakhs that are sale, Etios, Ecosport and City. Ciaz might be the fourth one in the near future.
Along with the ones you have mentioned - Liva, Ignis, Baleno and S Cross are other models which offer child seat anchorage as standard

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 21st February 2017 at 10:20.
Old 21st February 2017, 11:02   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

What happens to the Thar? Does ABS cause any problems during off-roading? The way I see it, it increases the stopping distance on snow or sand. So might not be a good thing on trails. I was reading through some articles and looks like manufacturer's often provide only a 2 channel ABS on part time 4WD vehicles (only on the rear wheels). No such problems on full time 4WD systems. Let's see what M&M decides to do with it.

On second thoughts, need to check the optional ABS+Airbag 4wd variant of Scorpio. The ABS system on that thing (2 channel or 4 channel) might offer some clues.
Old 21st February 2017, 12:34   #44
psn
BHPian

Very basic question?
Why is so many years being given to car manufactures to provide for such a basic safety feature like ABS?
Upon bad EURO n-ca rating VW was very quick to make ABS a standard fitment and didn't take years to make the change.
Correct me if I am wrong, but all new cars can have ABS as standard without making changes to the current setup so why give them so much time? 1 year for new models and 2 years for all models.
I think this is a step in the right direction, but the auto industry really is being mollycoddled where providing safety to passengers is concerned.
At the end it is the customer who will be paying for it. Unfortunately, the manufacturers are making us pay for things like music systems,LED DRL like in Datsun Redi-Go, Renault KWID but not ABS.
Old 21st February 2017, 15:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post
What irks me is cars like Creta offer it only on AT, I fail to understand the logic as to why a feature like ISOFIX has to be only on AT and not on MT. Lots of models cost more than a million bucks but you can't carry your child safely. Along with the ones you have mentioned - Liva, Ignis, Baleno and S Cross are other models which offer child seat anchorage as standard
Thanks, I was not aware the Nexa models, Ciaz were alread updated. Yes, the comment was based on Creta that made it pretty blatant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psn View Post
Why is so many years being given to car manufactures to provide for such a basic safety feature like ABS?
You question is already answered by GTO in post 30 of this thread.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed