Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2017, 10:44   #16
BHPian

re: ABS to be mandatory for all cars from April 2019

Do the car makers have native technologies to install ABS system or they are sourced from another OEM? Do we have a significant OEM ABS maker in India?
Old 20th February 2017, 11:22   #17

One thing I do not understand is that why it is made mandatory from 2019 April. Why so much time is given for manufacturers when the technology is commercially available with suppliers and most of the manufacturers have this feature on their top of the range variants?
X202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 11:23   #18
BHPian

In my opinion ABS should have been mandated before Airbags that are mandatory from April 2017. 2019 is still far. And ABS when mass produced should not cost a lot of money. It would be less than Rs 5000 in bills of materials.

Still a welcome move, so all cars being sold from April 2019 will have ABS + 1 Airbag.
I hope we do not see some more cost cutting in areas that are not visible to the eye.
manishkapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 11:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
Do the car makers have native technologies to install ABS system or they are sourced from another OEM? Do we have a significant OEM ABS maker in India?
Bosch is one significant OEM ABS Supplier
InControl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 11:45   #20
BHPian

I think it’s due to lack of awareness and "Nothing will happen to me" syndrome.
Last year when my cousin was looking to change his car I told him specifically to go for a Aspire which has Airbags and ABS.
At the last moment due to the influence of the salesman he went for car with Airbag (and not with ABS). When asked why he changed this decision the reply that I got was "It is 50k cheaper and Salesman told me that abs is required only if you drive rashly and cutting lanes instead go for some fancy upholstery, stickers etc etc and he got himself some good looking seat cover".
Some people do understand the importance of safety and I could persuade my neighbour to go for EcoSport with 6 Airbag version instead of 2 Airbag version.
I've found that younger people tend to listen than older people.

I'm quite happy that Government is enforcing ABS, I'd love to hear that ESP is also mandated apart from Airbags (wishful thinking), not to forget good structural integrity.
kozhissery is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 11:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

Despite the flak R C Bhargava received for his comments on safety features in cars, he was not too far off the mark. For most customers, a touch screen music system scores over ABS. The fate of (O) variants of MSIL cars being a case in point. With the Government making it mandatory for new cars to be equipped with ABS, one only hopes that the car manufacturers do not cut corners anywhere by following the law just in letter and ignoring the spirit.
I beg to differ, please check with dealers of MSIL and they put the blame on the company for not supplying (O) variants. It is not the customer but the company which does not maintain enough supply of (O) variants across its dealerships.

Now a days even the mass market buyers are aware of the benefits of ABS and Airbags but such models whenever made available in the lower or middle level trims are only for the name sake; the actual availability is simply missing !

It is good that the government is making it mandatory, this will bring things in order.
i74js is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 12:09   #22
BHPian

Is there similar rule making it mandatory for the air bags? If not think they should have included it as well
Old 20th February 2017, 12:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr_rpm View Post
Is there similar rule making it mandatory for the air bags? If not think they should have included it as well
I think Driver Side Airbag will be mandatory from this year itself.
Old 20th February 2017, 12:53   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has made it mandatory for all passenger cars and mini buses to be fitted with ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) by April 2019.
What about big buses and trucks? ABS is also very important for these vehicles because of the mass that has to stop on sudden braking. Does all modern day trucks/buses already come equipped with ABS?
Old 20th February 2017, 13:03   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avikbrio View Post
What about big buses and trucks? ABS is also very important for these vehicles because of the mass that has to stop on sudden braking. Does all modern day trucks/buses already come equipped with ABS?
ABS is mandatory for all commercial vehicles. This rule came into force 2 years back. Link
deerhunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 13:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Next up, I hope they bring something mandating child safety as well. Mandatory child seats and ISOFIX are somethings that needed for buyers with kids. There are hardly 3 models south of 15 lakhs that are sale, Etios, Ecosport and City. Ciaz might be the fourth one in the near future.

Last edited by SDP : 20th February 2017 at 14:14. Reason: as requested
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 13:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avikbrio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
ABS is mandatory for all commercial vehicles. This rule came into force 2 years back. Link
There is a thread to discuss ABS rule for commercial vehicles in this forum:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...les-india.html
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 13:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
I beg to differ, please check with dealers of MSIL and they put the blame on the company for not supplying (O) variants. It is not the customer but the company which does not maintain enough supply of (O) variants across its dealerships.

.. but such models whenever made available in the lower or middle level trims are only for the name sake; the actual availability is simply missing !
I was of the opinion that it's the dealers who pre order the cars with the manufacturers and store them in their stockyards.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
My limited understanding is that the dealers have to play a bit of a gamble here i.e. they assess the consumer's interest w.r.t. variant and colour of a particular car and order it with the factory.
They receive the cars and now it's the duty of the SA a.k.a. the salesman to sell the cars.
Naturally, they try to push to the customers the cars which are readily available at their stockyard since they can deliver the car quickly and it will mean cash inflow for the dealer and commission to the salesman as quickly as possible.

Now consider a case when the customer's preference is for a car with optional safety feature variant and it is not readily available with the dealer, in this case, a typical salesman would always try to persuade the buyer that he should get this variant and not that by giving some silly reasons but the actual reason being is that he don't have the optional variant at his stockyard because the dealer didn't order it in advance from the factory.

And now the dealer will have to make a fresh order from the factory and it will take it's own sweet time to arrive. The dealer also stands at a risk here because if the customer cancels his booking before delivery then he'll be stuck with a non moving model.

It's simply a case of demand and supply and I can see no reason for the missing availability of the optional variants if the majority of the buyers starts preferring them. This will happen only when more and more consumers are aware of the benefits of having a car with ABS/Airbag.
Then the cycle will reverse, the dealers will start keeping some optional variants in their stockyard with ready delivery and the manufacturer will have to supply the optional variant seeing the increased demand.

Last edited by GTO : 20th February 2017 at 15:20. Reason: Language
Sherlocked is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th February 2017, 13:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

@ Sherlocked

We have dealership in our extended family (its of 2 wheelers though). The margins per sale is not absolute instead its against the inbound cost of the vehicle i.e. the higher trim level would fetch higher margin at dealership level.
In addition to this, every quarter incentive is paid out against the volume of inventory sold and finally there are additional margins for selling yearend stocks / clearing stocks available at the manufacturer's stockyard.

You may have noticed that at the time of launch of a car, certain trim levels (entry level) are announced whereas their supply is limited while high end / top trims are made available at a relatively short waiting period. At the end, it is the manufacturer who has absolute control while dealers do exercise few things in between.

Specifically for the safety options in lower trim, the production planning at manufacturers end take a backseat and at the end customer suffers. People have waited for even two months and more for (O) trims and finally switched over to normal versions or have decided to increase the budget and purchased top trim; this is more pronounced in case of MSIL because of high monthly sales volume whereas other companies have made changes / added safety features in their regular offerings (case in point Toyota, Ford, VW etc.) MSIL for one announces safety features as separate trims and doesn't make it available; yet at the end they don't loose because customer settles for whatever is available at the dealership.

Last edited by GTO : 20th February 2017 at 15:21. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been edited.
i74js is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2017, 15:27   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: ABS to be mandatory for all cars from April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
A welcome move that has taken a long time to be implemented. But I feel that this is not enough. Why not go the whole hog; make EBD and 6 airbags also compulsory.
Before that, they should make ESP mandatory. Simpler & cheaper than 6 airbags. It's especially important as less than 1 out of 1,000 drivers on the road know what to do when the car oversteers. ESP can also be a life-saver in case of a sudden manouveur (say, you swerve to avoid something unexpected in your path).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Wait and see the auto lobby rename ABS as something else, establish the new name as the vehicle standard and get away with that technicality.
I wouldn't worry about this. The auto industry lobby is a lame duck. The government never listens to them .

Quote:
Originally Posted by X202 View Post
One thing I do not understand is that why it is made mandatory from 2019 April. Why so much time is given for manufacturers when the technology is commercially available with suppliers and most of the manufacturers have this feature on their top of the range variants?
No one has the manufacturing capacity for 2 lakh ABS units a month. Vendors need to be developed or upgraded, assembly lines need to be altered. Not something that can happen overnight.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed