Team-BHP - Euro NCAP: Figo's sibling, Ford Ka+ gets 3 stars
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Euro NCAP: Figo's sibling, Ford Ka+ gets 3 stars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/184787-euro-ncap-figos-sibling-ford-ka-gets-3-stars.html)

Just released Euro NCAP results shows Ford's supermini Ka+ securing a 3 star rating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HExp6oVWXn4
Quote:

Euro NCAP Frontal Impact takes place at 64 Km/h, 40% of the width of the car striking a deformable barrier. In the Full Width test, 100% of the width of the car impacts a rigid barrier at 50 Km/h. In the side impact, a mobile deformable barrier impacts the driver's door at 50 km/h. In the pole test, the car tested is propelled sideways at 32 km/h into a rigid pole.
Euro NCAP’s Secretary General, Michiel van Ratingen comments,
Quote:

Unfortunately, high hopes for the segment are smashed by Ford by releasing a brand new Ka+ with mediocre safety performance. The car lacks the more sophisticated restraint systems offered by most of its rivals, let alone more sophisticated technology like autonomous braking.
Euro NCAP: Figo's sibling, Ford Ka+ gets 3 stars-1.jpg
Euro NCAP: Figo's sibling, Ford Ka+ gets 3 stars-2.jpg
Euro NCAP: Figo's sibling, Ford Ka+ gets 3 stars-3.jpg

Euro NCAP: Figo's sibling, Ford Ka+ gets 3 stars-44.jpg

That's a very good score as per the new rating system, and equivalent to the Baleno.

However, before the celebrations begin, let me remind everyone that the Europe spec Ka+ has the below changes compared to the Indian car, as revealed by Darren Palmer of Ford UK.

"Special specifications for the steering, springs and dampers, front anti-roll bar, rear torsion beam and tyres, plus a re-engineered front sub-frame and engine mounts."

With a re-engineered front sub frame, there is no guarantee the the Indian version will receive similar ratings when tested.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoumenD (Post 4155553)
And not to forget 6 airbags

This is one thing that you can pin-point with almost all the other manufacturers, but not Ford. Ford does offer the 6 airbag equipped Figo here in India too. Unlike most manufactures who reserve the safety features only to the developed markets.

Here are the recent Euro NCAP results of Mini and SuperMini's tested for Europe in 2016/17,

Euro NCAP: Figo's sibling, Ford Ka+ gets 3 stars-17.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by aravind.anand (Post 4155571)
This is one thing that you can pin-point with almost all the other manufacturers, but not Ford. Ford does offer the 6 airbag equipped Figo here in India too. Unlike most manufactures who reserve the safety features only to the developed markets.

Relax mate. I already reported my post and got it deleted(can you find it?:D) stating i forgot about the titanium plus variant.

However the result brings it in line with Baleno and Ignis in terms of safety. So FORD did do a MARUTI with these models(FIGO/ASPIRE)agree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoumenD (Post 4155586)
However the result brings it in line with Baleno and Ignis in terms of safety. So FORD did do a MARUTI with these models(FIGO/ASPIRE)agree:

I guess this now brings Figo inline with the European Baleno. But when compared with the Indian edition Baleno, Figo should still be safer.

From its Supercar Mustang to the budget car Ka+, Ford gets the flak from Euro NCAP,

Quote:

Ford’s safety record under scrutiny

The three stars afforded to the Ford Ka+ means that 2017 has already been a difficult year for Ford in Euro NCAP testing, following recent results for the Mustang. “Although the Ford Ka+ achieved solid scores for occupant protection in testing, it was penalised for not having Autonomous Emergency Braking. It’s not even possible to buy as part of an optional safety pack despite being available on other Ford cars like the Fiesta and recently launched Edge
Link

Keep in mind that the star Ratings system now includes assistive technologies like assisted automatic braking, lane assist etc. Cars tested without it will obviously fare worse.

And even in a car that does achieve 5 star ratings in Europe, it still doesn't matter for us as none of these high tech assists come to india. Not even in an S class.

So to compare the safety of the cars, I would suggest to check the adult and child occupancy figures and also read the notes before dismissing a car as being 3 star or 5 star. Also keep in mind that even if you get 6 airbags with same body structure , some cars would only get a better score only because they have a knee airbag(almost nowhere to be seen in mainstream cars in India)

cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4155532)

"Special specifications for the steering, springs and dampers, front anti-roll bar, rear torsion beam and tyres, plus a re-engineered front sub-frame and engine mounts."

With a re-engineered front sub frame, there is no guarantee the the Indian version will receive similar ratings when tested.

I'm not suggesting that there are no safety-impacting engineering differences between the Indian Figo and India-made European Ka+, but a re-engineered sub-frame doesn't necessarily mean the Indian car is not as good as the India-made European car in terms of safety.

The reason? Europe is moving away from diesel (good for Europeans!) at a steady pace now. European small cars / city cars are now largely sold with petrol engines only, with diesels being available from the supermini (Fiesta, Polo, Corsa etc.) class onwards.

The Ka+ is simply not available in Europe with a diesel engine. There's only one engine available (the same 1.2 Ti-VCT that's sold here), but in two states of tune (70 PS & 85 PS):

Euro NCAP: Figo's sibling, Ford Ka+ gets 3 stars-screenshot_20170305123432_1.jpg

It's quite possible that the sub-frame is different on the Indian model because it has to accommodate two larger engines in India (1.5 Ti-VCT & 1.5 TDCi). :)

Since the European Ka+ doesn't have to accommodate these larger engines, its sub-frame (along with the front anti-roll bar, springs, dampers & steering) could have been optimised for the 1.2 Ti-VCT in order to bring out the best handling characteristics of the car (which European Fords are known for). ;)

Of course, I do agree with you that only a Global NCAP crash test of the Indian Figo can bring out the crash worthiness of the car sold here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSR (Post 4157660)
doesn't necessarily mean the Indian car is not as good as the India-made European car in terms of safety.

Agreed.

Quote:

(good for Europeans!) at a steady pace now.

There's only one engine available (the same 1.2 Ti-VCT that's sold here), but in two states of tune (70 PS & 85 PS):

Would have been good for them if they got the Ecoboost. Current engine range for Europe is just sad, unless we think only from point of view of emissions. Yes, emission levels are important, and so it's better not to buy that car at all and save even more. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4157695)
Would have been good for them if they got the Ecoboost. Current engine range for Europe is just sad

The reason for this engine range is because of positioning - the Ka+ in the UK is positioned as Ford's entry level hatch (replacing their earlier 2-door Ka) slotting in beneath the Fiesta.

Its aimed at youngsters getting their first cars, and elders/family types seeking basic mobility. In that respect, weaker engines with lower emissions allow them to pay lower taxes and get cheaper insurance - all stuff that is of importance to this target segment.

For youngsters looking at the sporty life is where the Fiesta & Focus step in, with its various editions.

On the other hand, in India, Ford uses the Figo/Aspire twins to represent the hatchback and compact-sedan markets, and hold the fort for Ford (see what I did there? :)) until a customer arrives at the EcoSport at a higher price bracket.

But yes, I get your general sentiment - it is a rare situation when India gets a better range of engine/transmission options in a car compared to the UK/Europe; especially given Europe's general affinity to diesels.

Quote:

Of course, I do agree with you that only a Global NCAP crash test of the Indian Figo can bring out the crash worthiness of the car sold here!

Yep, fully agree.

On the topic of NCAP, the Euro NCAP rating (the star values and percentage breakdowns) are not something to draw great admiration by themselves, nor in comparison to the Ka+'s competitors. I eagerly await Global NCAP's test of the newer models released in India (Figo, Baleno, Ignis, etc.) to see how they fare.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 4157695)

Agreed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunphilip (Post 4157700)

Yep, fully agree.

On the topic of NCAP, the Euro NCAP rating (the star values and percentage breakdowns) are not something to draw great admiration by themselves, nor in comparison to the Ka+'s competitors. I eagerly await Global NCAP's test of the newer models released in India (Figo, Baleno, Ignis, etc.) to see how they fare.

Global NCAP has immediately answered our query! :thumbs up

They've tested not the new Figo, but its twin Aspire, and it gets a 3* G-NCAP rating! :)

Edit: The same 3* G-NCAP rating is also applicable to the new Figo, according to Global NCAP!

Quote:

Question: Why do you refer to the Aspire (Next Gen Figo)?

Answer: Global NCAP tested the Ford Aspire which is the sedan version of the Next Gen Figo which is a hatchback. The results can therefore be extended to both the Next Gen Figo and Aspire.
https://youtu.be/vGWhVSjiUFU

The bad news is that the Aspire's body shell integrity was classified as "unstable" and not capable of withstanding further loadings - very sad!

Euro NCAP: Figo's sibling, Ford Ka+ gets 3 stars-20170306-13.53.29.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSR (Post 4158235)
They've tested not the new Figo, but its twin Aspire, and it gets a 3* G-NCAP rating! :)

Small difference, apart from the body shell integrity compromise.

Euro NCAP has moved on to far stricter norms, and a 3* rating there is not comparable to a 3* star rating from Global NCAP. Euro NCAP requires many modern features like ESC, AEB etc for higher ratings.

The below results from front adult occupancy tests itself show the world of difference between the European and Indian cars.

Aspire -
Euro NCAP: Figo's sibling, Ford Ka+ gets 3 stars-figoaspire.jpg

Ka+ -
Euro NCAP: Figo's sibling, Ford Ka+ gets 3 stars-ka.jpg