Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 13:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Aftermarket ISOFIX brackets for a child seat

Hello there,

I hope everyone reading this is doing okay in these rather unusual times.

I wanted to ask VW Polo owners whether anyone has got ISOFIX child seat mounts installed in their cars as an after-market accessory. I currently have a Chicco NextFit fitted using seatbelts in the backseat of my Polo. Though the child seat stays reasonably stable, removing it and fitting it back in becomes a bit of a hassle.

I would go for something that is approved by VW. They offer ISOFIX mounts in a few of their cars now but unfortunately my 2015 Polo doesn't have them.
c_trivedi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 00:05   #17
BHPian

Re: Aftermarket ISOFIX brackets for a child seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_trivedi View Post
I currently have a Chicco NextFit fitted using seatbelts in the backseat of my Polo. Though the child seat stays reasonably stable, removing it and fitting it back in becomes a bit of a hassle.them.
Can you share the pics of fixing the child seat without Isofix ?

Quote:
2015 Polo doesn't have them.
Polo is still not offering it at 2020.

They have auto headlamps and rain sensing wipers, but not Isofix mounts.

Shame on you VW.

Similarly Honda doesn't offer it in Jazz and WR-V. The cheaper Amaze gets it across all variants. I really don't get Honda's strategy.

Nexon, XUV300 and Brezza offer it right from the base variant, whereas Ecosport offers only in the higher trims.

Sad to see this kind of underhandedness by Ford

I feel that government should compulsorily mandate Isofix mountings in all cars. The cost to install isofix is negligible at the factory level, and quality / safety will be higher
Old 12th October 2022, 13:11   #18

ISOFIX Childseat Alternatives

Hi all, hope you're all doing great.

I was blessed with a baby girl three months back and now we want to start travelling around with her. So far, as she was very small, my wife would just carry her in her arms but that is very unsafe and I feel nervous specially when I am driving on expressways.

I own a Duster RXS MT (Dec 2021 model).
We wanted to buy an ISOFIX seat, but upon enquiring, we learnt that the car doesn't have an ISOFIX mount.

I read older threads but they are mostly about getting the ISOFIX brackets installed. Has anyone been in this situation before? Can anyone tell me what alternatives we can go for?

Regards,
Vaibhav
Old 12th October 2022, 18:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: ISOFIX Childseat Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav.dangwal View Post
We wanted to buy an ISOFIX seat, but upon enquiring, we learnt that the car doesn't have an ISOFIX mount.
Almost all car seats available in the market comes in either 1. Seatbelts only or 2. Seatbelt + ISOFIX.

Almost all ISOFIX car seats can be installed with 3 point seat belts (NOT lap belts alone)

So if your duster has 3 point seatbets for the rear seats, almost all the car seats available in the market works for you.

If in doubt in the product page of ecommerce website, go the produce page of the manufacturer and download the instruction manual and read the installation page to get a clear idea about the installation options for each car seat options, they vary slightly by each child seat.

Read up on groups (0 , 0+ , 1 , 2, 3), look at height and weight restrictions for each child seat position and know what works. Some child seats only allow 0 and 0+.

Read up on R-44 and R-129 type car seats

Read up on the thread here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...bies-kids.html ("Child Seat" for Babies & Kids)

Last edited by govigov : 12th October 2022 at 18:18.
Old 12th October 2022, 18:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:

I read older threads but they are mostly about getting the ISOFIX brackets installed. Has anyone been in this situation before? Can anyone tell me what alternatives we can go for?

Regards,
Vaibhav
Hi Vaibhav, The ISOFIX can be used only till the kid is 15 Kgs or so. After that you anyway will have to use seat belts to secure the child seat. ISOFIX alone won't hold the weight. So don't get fixated on using an ISOFIX seat. What I would suggest is look for a Child seat where the seat belt can be routed under the lap area instead of going above the kid's lap and circling the seat. This way, once the seat is fixed, placing and taking the kid off child seat will be easier. For example - the Chicco Nextfit or the Graco ones.
sreerknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 21:31   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was blessed with a baby girl three months back and now we want to start travelling around with her. Can anyone tell me what alternatives we can go for?
You can look at Graco Snuglock Snugride and Joie Clickfit. Both have seat belt based restraining mechanism for the base. These would provide a better locking mechanism for the seat in the absence of ISOFIX.

Mothercare retails Joie in their online store, not sure they have in the physical store for look and feel.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 22:18   #22
GST
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
Hi Vaibhav, The ISOFIX can be used only till the kid is 15 Kgs or so. After that you anyway will have to use seat belts to secure the child seat. ISOFIX alone won't hold the weight. So don't get fixated on using an ISOFIX seat.
I think isofix mounts don't come with this weight restriction: if you use a booster seat that can easily be secured through isofix mounts, then the weight limit for children goes upto 45 kg or so. I am also thinking of isofix mounts as after-market accessory to be used with foldable rear seat arrangements. I will check the car seats again thoroughly for possible fitment of these mounts to the frame of the seats: In Tata Harrier many variants don't have isofix mounts, I find this a very callous attitude by them. These mounta coming from the factory cost almost nothing to the manufacturers. Very pathetic that one has to consider a higher variant very specifically just for isofix mounts...
Old 9th November 2022, 09:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST View Post
I think isofix mounts don't come with this weight restriction
ISOFIX indeed has a weight restriction and most seats don't quote > 18 kg with ISOFIX anchorage.

Booster seats are for kids aged 5-12 as height padding so they can restrained in your car's 3-point seat belt. Kids get to 18 kg earlier than they outgrow 5-point harness. So you will not find booster seats with ISOFIX.

Quote:
In Tata Harrier many variants don't have isofix mounts
Same story on Safari that has only on XZ and above. If your kid has outgrown 5-point harness then you won't need them.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 12:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST View Post
I think isofix mounts don't come with this weight restriction: if you use a booster seat that can easily be secured through isofix mounts, then the weight limit for children goes upto 45 kg or so.
Hi GST, there is a limit on the combined weight of seat and child when securing the seat just using ISOFIX. I think it is 33KG. So depending on the weight of the seat, the weight limit on child can be 18KG or so. But this too depends on whether the seat is rear facing or forward facing. Below is the specification for Chicco NextFit. In rear facing the limit is 16KG, and forward facing the limit is 18KG.

Aftermarket ISOFIX brackets for a child seat-chicco-nextfit-manual.png
sreerknair is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks