Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2017, 06:56   #61
BHPian

Re: Motorsport champion Ashwin Sundar passes away in tragic road accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
First off,

All those years of mastering apex on a track, yet a lapse in common sense couldn't separate him from any other mortal that WONT die from driving after 1 AM at 120 KMPH in a sports car (Police said the car was going at 120 KMPH o the HINDU).

Please don't generalize circumstances he put himself in and degrade sane responsible drivers to his level.
As much as I feel sorry for the young driver, I have to agree with your views here, think I read somewhere, he was a racing driver by profession, he perhaps forgot that the city roads were not race tracks.

I fail to understand why people cannot look at the big picture, Is it worth risking your life for a joyride @ 120 km/hr or even 80 km/hr driving on the city roads.

People jumping railway tracks when a train is approaching, crossing the streets when a bus is speeding on your direction.

Sometimes, people just dont realize the consequences.
At the end of the day, one should stop and ask is it worth it ?
nitishk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 10:35   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Have you noticed that when you are just about to reach your home in the city after a long drive, you will be driving at speeds that are higher than your normal city speeds? That is because our brain takes time to change its perception about the safe speed limit. This is the same issue with racers, so the best thing for racers is to avoid driving anywhere other than the race track.
So true, I often tell myself ALOUD, to slow down but the muscles in the body take some time to get used to the change in the traffic and road size. Awareness is the key especially on our streets, even on the highway we should be very aware every moment because things can change within seconds on Indian roads. Even on my regular route to my university, which I have taken for so many years at nearly the same time of the day, every drive is a new experience. Drive safe buddies.
vipinendran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 11:18   #63
BHPian

Really sad to read about two young life's got snuffed out with at least one without a fault. My heart goes out to their families and parents especially. It is absolutely crushing to see your younger ones go before you and that too at such a younger age.

I know, from first hand experience, that the pain is unbearable but may God give them strength in handling that. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Visually, If the seat belt would have been worn, the seat belt plug would have been found plonked in into the seat belt slot. The belt would have burnt, but the plug might have been left charred into the slot.
I don't know any better but they might have undid the seat belts in an effort to try and get out of the car, no?

The way the car is wedged between the tree and the wall, there seems to be no doubt that even if the car was unlocked there was no way for them to open the door. Also reading the first hand accounts, they didn't even much time, I suppose, before the car caught fire.

Horrible!
teemus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 12:04   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Could you provide us the make, size and cost of the portable fire extinguisher you are having currently in your car ?
Hi sriramr9,

2 year back I bought this Rs 180 Fire Extinguisher, offline.

Since I am not in my home town this is exactly what I bought. An error is I have not tested it, but it had all the certification for Global sell and applicable to all class of fires. Available online and offline in India.

Repeat : I saw all cerification on it but I did not test it.

Link :

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Fire-Extingui...kAAOSwMNxXUoZF
Attached Thumbnails
Motorsport champion Ashwin Sundar passes away in tragic road accident-_14.jpg  

Last edited by ritz3645 : 21st March 2017 at 12:05. Reason: Link
Old 21st March 2017, 12:59   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Hi sriramr9,

2 year back I bought this Rs 180 Fire Extinguisher, offline.

Since I am not in my home town this is exactly what I bought. An error is I have not tested it, but it had all the certification for Global sell and applicable to all class of fires. Available online and offline in India.
Regardless of your using it or not using it, it needs periodic refilling - maybe once in five years for some models. It will vary based on whether you got a foam based or a CO2 based one. The necessary dates should be printed on the casing.

Check that your extinguisher is for oil or petrol fires, if you spray a water based extinguisher on burning petrol you'll sort of regret it.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 12:59   #66
Senior - BHPian

I read in an interview that his father decided to let him pursue track racing as a profession only because he would not stop street racing as a teenager. I guess old habits die hard.
Nithesh_M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 13:35   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Have you noticed that when you are just about to reach your home in the city after a long drive, you will be driving at speeds that are higher than your normal city speeds? That is because our brain takes time to change its perception about the safe speed limit.
I totally agree with you in this regard. Surely our brain and reflexes are tuned to higher speeds on the highway and tends to keep the same pace on city roads as well. I generally try to take a crowded road into the city just to make sure that my right foot is more on the brakes! Where possible, another person may take the wheel, if that person has not driven for a while on the trip.
Old 21st March 2017, 14:08   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Thanks.
It is also Listed on Amazon.in and question/answers and user feedback can be found there.

https://www.amazon.in/Fire-Stop-Exti...owViewpoints=1
Old 21st March 2017, 14:29   #69
BHPian

RIP Ashwin Sundar and Niveditha!

Fellow BHPians - A humble request.

Now is not the time to advice someone how to drive safely. Nor is this the time to point fingers and tell how you would have driven. You did not drive. He did. And knowingly or unknowingly it ended up in a tragedy. People passing judgments on how he would have driven on that fateful day have no idea what really has happened. Please give his family, friends and well wishers time to grieve. None of what anyone says is going to bring those unfortunate parents their kids back. But they do deserve peace of mind and even though they might not be reading this thread, am sure there are lots of his fans and well-wishers at Team-BHP and they do deserve it.
RaghuVis is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 14:55   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Thanks.
It is also Listed on Amazon.in and question/answers and user feedback can be found there.

https://www.amazon.in/Fire-Stop-Exti...owViewpoints=1
Based on this feedback I would suggest a different brand like Cease Fire that I pointed out. Please note - the english isn't mine, this is pasted direct from Amazon.

Quote:
1.0 out of 5 starsDont buy tiz bcoz i installed it in car and ...
Bypraveenon 26 April 2016
Verified Purchase
Dont buy tiz bcoz i installed it in car and car was parked sunlight bcoz of heat bottle blasted soo b safe dnt buy tiz.
Old 21st March 2017, 15:01   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Now is not the time to advice someone how to drive safely.
And knowingly or unknowingly it ended up in a tragedy.
None of what anyone says is going to bring those unfortunate parents their kids back.
Now is the right time to give advice, so that the morons who think they are invincible learn that machines as well as humans have limits.
It happened knowingly that tragedy was inevitable ( just because you complete your journey even after driving at unsafe speeds , doesn't mean you can always have the last laugh )
Definitely, a wreck less guy lost his life, but there are hundreds of parents out there who can make decisions and enforce them on kids about valuing their lives as well as of fellow passengers and road users.

Read the words of the eye witness. The guy was driving at well above the safe limits. He has no one else to blame other than his stupidity. I'm happy that some innocent car/bike guy or pedestrian didn't have to pay with their lives.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...?homepage=true
The Rationalist is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st March 2017, 16:59   #72
Team-BHP Support

Insensitive as it seems at face value, a message usually hits home when a situation/memory is still raw. A little time usually lets 'this won't happen to me' complacency creep right back in.

Cruel, but true nonetheless.

Unnecessary loss of life is always regrettable, but avoidable too in a majority of cases.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 19:32   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Based on this feedback I would suggest a different brand like Cease Fire that I pointed out.
In a car such as a hatchback or a regular sedan such as a honda city or hyundai verna where should one stow away safely the fire extinguisher can? If it has to be kept inside the cabin at all times, which should be the safest place to avoid accidental explosion or tampering ?

All i can think of is beneath the driver's seat, not inside the glove box nor fixing it on the B pillar.

Last edited by sriramr9 : 22nd March 2017 at 19:34.
Old 22nd March 2017, 19:48   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Now is not the time to advice someone how to drive safely. Nor is this the time to point fingers and tell how you would have driven. You did not drive. He did. And knowingly or unknowingly it ended up in a tragedy. People passing judgments on how he would have driven on that fateful day have no idea what really has happened.
I totally agree that this is not the time to point fingers at or judge someone. Calling the driver "inexperienced", "unskilled" "reckless", "stupid", etc. is totally uncalled for as we do not know what exactly happened - No one does, except the two souls that passed away and the Almighty. I read one first hand account - which again, might be exaggerated or spiced-up. Again, even if it was true, the person did not see exactly what happened.

What I do not agree with you is "Now is not the time to advice someone how to drive safely". I feel this is THE right time to educate people around us. Make them understand, How much ever experienced and skilled you are as a driver and how much ever safe and well built your car is, there might be situations when your experience and skill and the car's build and safety is not good enough - SPEED KILLS.

I myself, am guilty of speeding in both city roads and highways. I, like most of us, justify it too saying "We do it when we feel it is absolutely safe" - don't we? I am sure Ashwin too felt the same way. But it was not to be. Let us learn from other's mistakes before someone else learns from ours.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2017, 20:33   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
In a car such as a hatchback or a regular sedan such as a honda city or hyundai verna where should one stow away safely the fire extinguisher can? If it has to be kept inside the cabin at all times, which should be the safest place to avoid accidental explosion or tampering ?

All i can think of is beneath the driver's seat, not inside the glove box nor fixing it on the B pillar.
That is probably an ok place but remember -

1. You need rapid and unhindered access to it

2. It must remain upright and cannot be allowed to roll sideways. Clamp or velcro it to wherever you affix it
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks