Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2017, 15:00   #46
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Road Safety Index released, rates 8 Indian cities

I can opine only regarding Bombay, Pune, Bangalore, Delhi.

1. Bombay : Scores just about "good" by Indian standards on road mannerisms and safety but nothing significantly better than Delhi. However road rage cases are arguably way lesser in Mumbai as compared to Delhi which has the reputation of having the highest number of road rage cases in the country. Infrastructure in Mumbai is few notches below Delhi but given its geographical limitations and challenging topography, Mumbai has managed to build some really wider roads and freeways. The only grouse I have is regarding the bumpiness of many Mumbai roads. ( Remember reading the history of Mumbai that it was never meant to be city in the first place ?? We are not blessed with space, else Mumbai would be something else today ).

2. Delhi : Impressive world class road infrastructure that no other city can even come close on its heels. Delhi totally rocks on road infrastructure, what with the supersmoothness of the roads, maintenance and aesthetics. Apt to it's image of being the country's capital.

3. Bangalore : Infrastructure cannot be really termed as "bad" but the roads are narrow for the amount of traffic it handles. However I would never buy the story that Bangalore has higher amount of traffic than Mumbai. I can vouch that traffic volume on Mumbai roads is approximately about 1.5 times higher than Bangalore but the wider roads makes the density appear lesser and keeps the traffic moving. Most of my friends who come down from Bangalore to Mumbai agree with me on this point, the moment they enter Bombay through SPTPL highway ( Sion--Panvel ) and witness an ocean of vehicles zipping fast. Put Mumbai traffic on Bangalore roads and it would choke till death. Bangalore is surely behind Mumbai in terms of road infrastructure. However as regards the road mannerism and safety, Bangalore seems to be same as that of Bombay. Don't be under impression that Mumbai is very sane.

4. Pune : Looks like it got some consolation prize. If the survey is for road safety index, Pune would not remotely qualify. I don't understand why the pollution thing came here but the air quality definitely feels better in Pune than Bangalore and Mumbai both. I would always appreciate Pune for it being the only non-capital city in the country that is considered as a "metro", well rightly so and is at par with other metros on some parameters. Roads are fairly good and I am all for the BRTS knowing it's importance, not only for buses but for emergency vehicles like ambulances. Pune too has geographical limitations like Mumbai and the present infrastructure is getting fast inadequate day by day against the exponential rise in traffic. Needless to say, road mannerism in Pune is pathetic and there exists no traffic sense at all.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 15:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

One factor that contributes to better traffic sense in Mumbai than in Pune is the fear of the law in the average joe's mind, and well backed up by swift retribution on the part of the Cops too. I have seen cops flagging down a Q7 in Mumbai, while Pune police (if they are around) dont even dare to stop Bullets without number plates (of which there are plenty here).
That said, most drivers in Pune are first (or max second) generation vehicle users (especially true in the fringes), while a big chunk of Mumbai drivers are 3rd or even 4th generation car drivers, leading to a lot more evolved sense of road behavior.
sajo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 18:25   #48

Would be interesting to know the parameters set for road safety? Guess the number of people walking or driving alive was the one.
shreehari7007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 18:27   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Drive around and the change in behavior is remarkable.
I am glad to hear that. You do realise how bad things had become though, for this to be cited as 'improvement'? I do visit Bombay every month, and have not noticed anything particularly different. But may be more time on the road will help.
Old 24th March 2017, 05:17   #50

Being a Hyderabadi, I must admit the the rating in traffic and pedestrian safety won't be the best as there are hardly any zebra crossings or dedicated timers for road crossing.

But it will be among the top cities soon, once the metro rail is up and running which might free up a lot of traffic in peak times and gives peace of mind for daily commuters.

As for ORR, everyone feels it as our own F1 track with 120km of non-stop action .

With many plans being in pipeline like giving the responsibility of maintenance along with laying of roads to contractors for specific time period might improve things in coming days.
Old 24th March 2017, 06:35   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's my experience :

My worst in terms of traffic has been the experience over the routes that lie in NCR, the roads within Noida and Gurgaon, Ghaziabad etc, the inside roads, the city traffic, unbearable, one might as well walk given that there are no rules. The connecting roads from Delhi are wide but perhaps a little bit of traffic sense and discipline can help NCR. Delhi (proper Delhi) is not too bad, congested but not bad - the roads are good and if it had the lane discipline optimized then it can easily become India's best.

Mumbai has an average infrastructure, its not an insult to a city which its residents love more than anything else on earth, but its the truth - a proactive government could do wonders in one year and improve it, lets see when it happens. As for the good, lane discipline is the best, vehicles will come within inches of you sideways but they will NOT come closer than that, they go arrow straight and they optimize their time and safety as well of others. Its problem is congestion and variety of vehicles, everything from cabs, cycles, jaywalkers, autos, Ferraris and BESTies are seen within 1 second.

That's where Bangalore comes in as well, one thing the people who bash the city for its traffic, lawlessness, congestion, bad roads, speed breakers, flyovers (all valid reasons no doubt), do not realize is that any city which shot up from 15 lakhs population in mid 1980's, to close to 35 lakhs in 2000's and all the way to 1.1 crores today, will suffer in the way Bangalore is suffering, perhaps even more. The city is a nightmare, being its resident nothing is harder for me than to admit it, the home that I knew of is no more, we saw its best days go by where it had the peace and stability of a town and the facilities of a big city.. today its lost that completely and is competing with Mumbai in terms of atrocious real-estate values and traffic jams. People are a bit more "careful" with their cars here, unlike in Delhi, and that's its only saving grace as people drive carefully. It is amongst the worst in India in terms of getting around, no doubt.

Pune : Its a much smaller Bangalore (in terms of population), all else are kind of on par.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 09:35   #52
BHPian

Throughout the thread almost every Bangalorean feels startled! I believe the same for the same reasons too. Potholes, anywhere and everywhere - dangerously built exit lanes, debris on the road - How on earth can we top Road Safety? And I am not even talking about tankers, tempos and God forsaken local CVs.

Where is the safety in bikers happily riding on the wrong side of the road in order to save 5 mins? And that is the norm - it does not raise eyebrows any more.

Delhi & Ahmedabad have the best roads of pretty much all places. Mumbai is slightly more disciplined, I agree with that. On everything else, everyone is on a race to the bottom.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 15:07   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not saying this because I live in Mumbai, but this city has the best road manners of any metro in India. And I've driven in them all.

Mumbai drivers are generally well-behaved, stick to their lane (especially in autorickshaw-less South Bombay) & adhere to traffic rules (at least most of the time ). More than a couple of Mods visiting from other cities have commented on the same, including bblost who once rode down on his Bullet.

The worst road manners I've seen are in Calcutta.
Damn right! I was especially impressed with the behaviour of BEST buses. Generally very mannered on the road.

In Chennai, the local and even intercity buses, have one thing in mind. Destroy. Destroy all other vehicles on the road.
Old 24th March 2017, 21:45   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
3. Bangalore : Infrastructure cannot be really termed as "bad" but the roads are narrow for the amount of traffic it handles. However I would never buy the story that Bangalore has higher amount of traffic than Mumbai. I can vouch that traffic volume on Mumbai roads is approximately about 1.5 times higher than Bangalore but the wider roads makes the density appear lesser and keeps the traffic moving.
The roads (part of the infrastructure) are really bad in some places and really good in other. The contrast is striking. You can go from smooth roads to those with potholes in no time. I would say its a mix of good and bad roads.

I guess the main problem in Bangalore is the volume of cars. The city roads can handle 10, but has 50 on the roads. No wonder large volume of car pile up is so common during the peak hours. Add to that the complete disregard for traffic rules e.g. wrong side driving, high beam, no stopping at red lights etc etc.
Old 27th March 2017, 07:37   #55
BHPian

I think Bangalore wins on road safety because perpetual gridlock ensures that nobody will ever be driving fast enough to cause an accident. Being able to stay in 4th gear or higher for more than 10 seconds at a stretch seemed like a huge achievement when I was there. Google Maps traffic updates always show all arterial roads blood red. Recently a friend shared a screenshot where the time taken to walk and drive between two places was almost the same.
My XUV's fuel consumption (as noted by the in-car display) would always show barely 12-13 kmpl while there, sometimes dipping as low as 9, now since moving to Gurgaon it averages 17.
Old 12th May 2022, 11:57   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki demonstrates V2X Technology for cars at IIT-H.

A new technology that could help drastically cut down the number of road accidents and check road congestion, developed by the Suzuki in assocaiton with Maruti Suzuki and IIT Hyderabad, was demonstrated at the IIT-H campus here on Wednesday.

The pioneering technology named V2X (Vehicle-to-Everything) can alert the car drivers in different scenarios. This technology-installed vehicle will have an ambulance alerting system, wrong-way, driver alerting system, pedestrian alerting system, motorcycle alerting system, road condition alerting system, and car as a computer.

Maruti Suzuki Road Safety Index released, rates 8 Indian cities-1.jpg

The technology is still being developed and at a nascent stage. The researchers say it could be fully developed by 2025 or 2030.

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th May 2022 at 11:59.

Most Viewed