Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2017, 10:01   #16
BHPian

Re: Used Car based on safety for 5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
I would recommend a Corolla. Bulletproof engine, low maintenance and a pretty safe car.
I thought corolla could be a bit expensive to maintain. I can vouch for the toyota safety and build quality, but I heard old corolla's are a bit expensive to maintain.
Old 25th May 2017, 17:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I thought corolla could be a bit expensive to maintain. I can vouch for the toyota safety and build quality, but I heard old corolla's are a bit expensive to maintain.
Depends on how you look at it. Rarely anything would go wrong with the car so recurring expense will be pretty less compared to other pre-worshipped cars. Parts will be at par with ones of the same segment.
Old 8th August 2017, 10:04   #18
BHPian

Hello Folks,
Need your valuable suggestions.
We are in the hunt of a second car and we already have a Ciaz ZDi+ May 2017 model. Intend to use the second one for 3 ~ 4 years
The second one needs to be an Automatic, Sedan and a used one with a budget up-to 8 lakhs
On our hunt in recent one week the most available ones in Bangalore are
2009 ~ 2012 Cruze LTZ
2010 ~ 2012 Honda City V CVT
2010 ~ 2013 Hyundai Verna 1.6 pertol / diesel

Looks like it is the best time to buy used Cruze but then we are worried on maintenance, is it worth the risk? Will serviceability be a problem even if Mahindra takes over.

On City - we haven't used a petrol car in our family yet, what will be the real mileage in Bangalore considering the fact we need to travel close to 40 Kms a day in Outer Ring Road? No doubt on reliability here.

On Verna - Both me and wife didn't really like the way the Transmission behaved. But is has a good refined engine though.

Please suggest what to pick or should we consider something else as well?
Thank you in advance.
Cheers!
Old 15th November 2017, 09:28   #19

Re: Queries in 'Ask the gurus' section

Hello Gurus,

I am a first time buyer. My family has never owned a car before, so none of us know how to drive. We will be learning on this car itself.

I was thinking of buying a second hand car under INR 2,50,000, but I am too scared of getting fleeced. I have been reading "how to buy a used car" thread in team-bhp but instead of getting any clarity I am all the more confused. As my father would be doing most of the driving and he is almost a senior citizen, I can't take risk of car breaking down. I am based out of Patna.

What should I do then? Should I go for a new car?

If its a new car, please suggest a good one. My needs are basically city driving and occasional highway driving of 200-300 kms. Budget around 3-3.5 lakh on road.

Thanks in advance.

Ambrish
Old 15th November 2017, 10:13   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Please just buy a new maruti alto k10 in a variant you like. Fantastic first car, will serve you like a faithful dog for years to come. Easy to drive, easy to park, and very easy to manage.

Dont even look at a used car at this point.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 17:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrish R View Post
Hello Gurus,

I am a first time buyer. My family has never owned a car before, so none of us know how to drive. We will be learning on this car itself.
Ambrish, i was on the same boat as you albeit i knew driving. Not a Guru yet , but am responding to you based on my experience. I am sure you may have some friends who are knowledgeable about cars, if you know a mechanic or someone who has worked on a garage it's a plus, take them along when you are going to inspect a car. In addition their is a team-bhp page providing a wealth of information for exactly this: http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/how-buy-used-car-india-0. Dedicate a couple of days to rummage through OLX, Quickr, Carwale etc. I am sure you will get what you need, if you decide on the exact model to buy that helps as well. In my case i didn't have much to spend so i decided on buying an Alto, which narrowed down my search significantly. Finally i zeroed in on a good deal at quickr, i took the ownership transfer service from them as well. Got a 2008 Alto LXI for 1.4 lakhs with Remote Locking, Power Windows, Factory fitted speakers etc. I spent another 30k for a comprehensive service at MASS+Michelin XM2 Tubeless Tyres+Osram 100/90 bulbs and relay kit+Hella Trumpet Horns+Amaron Maintenance Free Battery etc. The result, drives without a worry in the world and a thousand rupee fuel top-up takes me to everywhere. The only noticeable event till date was a puncture on one of the rear wheel.
sandx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 18:40   #22

Thanks sandx for taking time to answer my queries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandx View Post
I am sure you may have some friends who are knowledgeable about cars, if you know a mechanic or someone who has worked on a garage it's a plus, take them along when you are going to inspect a car.
One of my uncle has a driver with 12+ year of experience in driving. I guess he might be able to help.

Quote:
In addition their is a team-bhp page providing a wealth of information for exactly this: http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/how-buy-used-car-india-0. Dedicate a couple of days to rummage through OLX, Quickr, Carwale etc.
It confuses me all the more. I do not understand properly about transfer papers, ownership manual, servicing history etc. Let me spend some more time on this.
Old 15th November 2017, 20:30   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Hello Gurus,

I was thinking of buying a second hand car under INR 2,50,000, but I am too scared of getting fleeced. I have been reading "how to buy a used car" thread in team-bhp but instead of getting any clarity I am all the more confused. As my father would be doing most of the driving and he is almost a senior citizen, I can't take risk of car breaking down. I am based out of Patna.

If its a new car, please suggest a good one. My needs are basically city driving and occasional highway driving of 200-300 kms. Budget around 3-3.5 lakh on road.

Thanks in advance.

Ambrish
Given that you have the budget, I would always recommend to get a new car. It will always be more reliable, cheaper to maintain and all in all a less headache of an experience.

The safest(in terms of reliability) option would be to get an Alto, since you mention I highway driving, please consider extending your budget for the K10 variant, it would be well worth it. For purely city use, the 800 variant should also suffice.

Personally, I have never been able to sit in an alto for more than 5 min without being suffocated, so if like me your family has tall people in general, have a good look at the Kwid, it is much more spacious and is also a well engineered car. The only negative vs Alto would be a lower resale value. As a positive actually, you can look at a 1-2 yr old Kwid for a great price which will be a great deal.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 00:08   #24
BHPian

I would suggest looking at a new Hyundai Eon. Nothing like a new car for a first time buyer. The chances of getting fleeced in the used car market if you have never owned a car before is very high
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 01:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amreekan View Post
Hello, All,

I'm trying to help my wife buy her first car. The requirements are simple: (1) Under 5 lakhs (2) Automatic (3) good safety (4) reasonable maintenance charges for cars this old.

Based on (1) and (2), we have found the following cars/models on the used car circuit:

Hyundai Santro Xing XL AT eRLX Euro III 2005, 2006
Hyundai Santro Xing XG AT 2004
Hyundai Santro Xing GLS AT 2007
Hyundai i10 Magna AT 2009
Hyundai i10 Sportz 1.2 AT 2008
Hyundai i10 Sportz AT 2010

Toyota Corolla H4 2004

Honda City 1.5 GXI CVT 2004
Honda Accord V6 AT 2006
Honda Civic 1.8 V AT Inspire 2006
Honda Civic 1.8 S AT 2006

Skoda Laura L and K AT 2007

So, generally, there are a lot of Hyundais, some Honda City/Civic/Accords and Toyota Corrolas (and a couple Camrys). There are also a couple of older Skodas. The issue with finding out safety ratings is that these safety tests started out only recently and we are looking at cars that are at least 8 years old at this point.

All of these fit our budget. And since we don't necessarily care much for the number of kms put on or the brand, we are looking for something that fits (3) and (4) above.

From these brands, models, years etc.. do you have any recommendations on which of them fit the safety/maintenance criteria? We understand we won't get 4 airbags version of a Maruti , but we want something that is safe for the wife and kid as they travel together most of the time, and something that is light on her maint budget.

Thanks all for your inputs! (PS: If we should look at some other model that is currently not on our radar, pls let us know).
Honestly why did you select Accord, Corolla, Civic, Laura if this is to be a FIRST car assuming IF she is a FIRST time driver.
If she is already a driver then did you plan out parking etc. considering she will be travelling with kids.

If its city driving then go for i10 or Punto
You certainly cannot let your wife drive a car on the Indian highway with little knowledge (if first time driver) of the ACTUAL driving conditions one has to endure and your instinct and reaction levels to be at a different high.

Hope it makes sense.

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 16th November 2017 at 02:00.
Old 16th November 2017, 10:46   #26
BHPian

The fact about owning a new car instead of a used one within a limited budget is an eternal debate. In my case I had almost decided on a new alto (at the end of last year there were crazy discounts offered to me) but even when in the same showroom the attraction of the bigger cars was unbearable. So I thought then, If I go with a new car I will be sulking for the next couple of years thinking why didn't I stretch my budget and go for a bigger car. Now when I got a pre worshipped vehicle at a good rate the benefits abound, cheap insurance, cheap service fortunately and low running costs. But I agree that bumping into a pristine used car is a difficult task however if the intention is to learn driving, I would hate to see a scratch or a damaged bumper on a brand new vehicle, a pre-worshipped car would be more practical in that case.
sandx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 10:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Gurus,

An Alto would be a good choice but you could also look for a first generation Dzire or a SX4. The Alto is a decent car, but it will be absolutely inadequate for anything other than city driving. A Swift or a Dzire will be much better, and SX4 will be the best. Spares won't be an issue at least for another 7 years and you might find good deals at a true value outlet. The Santro Xing could be another option. I would not recommend an Eon because it is claustrophobic inside, if you have more than 2 people.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 09:26   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Given that you have the budget, I would always recommend to get a new car. It will always be more reliable, cheaper to maintain and all in all a less headache of an experience.

The safest(in terms of reliability) option would be to get an Alto, since you mention I highway driving, please consider extending your budget for the K10 variant, it would be well worth it. For purely city use, the 800 variant should also suffice.

Personally, I have never been able to sit in an alto for more than 5 min without being suffocated, so if like me your family has tall people in general, have a good look at the Kwid, it is much more spacious and is also a well engineered car. The only negative vs Alto would be a lower resale value. As a positive actually, you can look at a 1-2 yr old Kwid for a great price which will be a great deal.
Yes, I am no longer looking at used car. Too scared.

I have extended my budget to 4-4.5 Lacks. I am looking either at top variant Kwid or Tiago. In Tiago, unable to decide which variant? The XZ version is going way above my budget. Almost 6 Lakhs. But security features like ABS/Dual Bag etc only come with XZ
Old 17th November 2017, 11:46   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, I am no longer looking at used car. Too scared.

I have extended my budget to 4-4.5 Lacks. I am looking either at top variant Kwid or Tiago. In Tiago, unable to decide which variant? The XZ version is going way above my budget. Almost 6 Lakhs. But security features like ABS/Dual Bag etc only come with XZ
Nothing like the XZ version of the Tiago, but yes that it expensive. For a 4.5 lacs budget I would suggest the following.

You can look at the Maruti Celerio since you can get the ABS/airbags even in the base version. And as a plus, you can even get the base LXI option with AMT i think, which would be great for a first time buyer like you. Nothing easier than driving an automatic. But this is only if you like the Celerio.

If not, I would definitely recommend the Tiago lower versions, I think you can get the safety pack with at least the 2 airbags and few features with XM for about 20k more. That would make a lot of sense in your situation.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed