Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2017, 13:35   #1
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Global NCAP: Renault Duster scores 0 stars without airbag, 3 stars with airbag

Global NCAP has tested two versions of the Renault Duster sold in India.

Duster with a driver airbag - 3 stars:

Duster with no airbag - 0 stars:

Last edited by RSR : 10th May 2017 at 13:47.
RSR is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 13:37   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Global NCAP: Renault Duster Scores Zero Stars

The Duster, which is sold without airbags in its basic version, recorded a disappointing zero stars for adult occupant protection.

The crash test showed that due to the lack of airbags the driver injuries would have been unacceptably high. The Duster also scored 2 stars for rear seat child occupant protection.

Following the test Renault asked Global NCAP to test a version of the Duster which included a single driver airbag. This increased the score to 3 stars for adult occupant protection, child protection remained the same at 2 stars.

Global NCAP: Renault Duster scores 0 stars without airbag, 3 stars with airbag-11.jpg

Renault Duster - No Airbags - Zero Star

Renault Duster - Driver Airbag - 3 Star

Global NCAP: Renault Duster scores 0 stars without airbag, 3 stars with airbag-0.jpg
Global NCAP: Renault Duster scores 0 stars without airbag, 3 stars with airbag-w0.jpg

Global NCAP: Renault Duster scores 0 stars without airbag, 3 stars with airbag-2.jpg
Global NCAP: Renault Duster scores 0 stars without airbag, 3 stars with airbag-wab.jpg

Source:Global NCAP

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th May 2017 at 13:51.
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 13:42   #3
BANNED

re: Global NCAP: Renault Duster scores 0 stars without airbag, 3 stars with airbag

While it is deplorable to see that any car but a barebones hatch to come without basic passive safety features in 2017. I have a question about the point of the crash test without an airbag. Because that's what we have seen, being done time and again. Even if the structure itself is stable, the rating would be bad enough for zero stars. Why then is Global NCAP taking cars and ramming them into walls when you can easily predict the outcome.

I know it makes a statement to the buyers to know what they're getting into, but i believe it would be better to see what the reasonably equipped variants like with 2 airbags can cope with. Without these,i don't remember any car passing the Crash test with good results
agambhandari is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 13:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

re: Global NCAP: Renault Duster scores 0 stars without airbag, 3 stars with airbag

On the contrary, they should test all the versions available, that way the compete information is available with the buyer and then he can make an informed decision about what he wants to pay for his safety.
dass is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 13:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

@agambhandari - I think testing base model and giving 0 star is good move. Haven't you seen a manufacturer advertising 5* rating (of their top variant) on rear windshield? They even pasted it on base variants which do not have basic safety features. Some customers buy base variant and expect that 5* sticker saves their life.

@dass - Agree. Company should paste safety rating sticker on each variants they sell.

Last edited by Latheesh : 10th May 2017 at 13:56.
Latheesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 13:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Even if the structure itself is stable, the rating would be bad enough for zero stars. Why then is Global NCAP taking cars and ramming them into walls when you can easily predict the outcome.
I had expected Renault to make changes after getting 0 repeatedly. Even India is going to come with crash assessment due to which the new cars like Ciaz, Ignis have better steel and structure compared to other models (I think current Ciaz has better structural rigidity compared to old model - anyway that is what they are advertising).

At least we can know how the Car's structure is even though the final outcome of any car is 0 if does not have Airbags.
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 13:58   #7
BHPian

Would they rate the top trim - RXZ - higher since it has 2 air-bags?

Besides, at least on paper, the Duster RXZ gets more safety features than most vehicles in its segment. It has 2 airbags, hill hold, ABS + EBD and BA. On the other hand, the body weight is lighter than Ecosport which is actually smaller in size.
Is this considered while awarding the safety rating?
Nonstop-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 14:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

Along expected lines. Duster scored 3 stars in EuroNCAP too, many years ago.

Nice wheel caps - looks like an alloy wheel!
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 15:00   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Renault gives Indian market a low priority in safety again!

Global NCAP results in 2015 shows the LATIN Spec Duster in a Single air bag configuration scored 4 Stars.

It was found that the Indian Duster airbag was smaller than that of the Latin American Duster.

Quote:
The difference in airbag size brings corresponding differences in protection. With the Indian Duster the head of the driver did not contact the airbag in the centre as it should, exposing the head to impact on the steering wheel and therefore more risk of injuries. This can be seen when the head reaches maximum front excursion and compresses the airbag. The Latin American Duster airbag on the other hand was a larger size and covered the head and chest of the driver. With the head in maximum forward excursion the airbag still shows containment to the head protecting it from the steering wheel.

These differences explain the difference in protection level and why the Latin American version scored 4 stars and the Indian version only 3 stars under same testing assessment and criteria.

LINK

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th May 2017 at 15:01.
volkman10 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 15:05   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Two things I'm unable to understand here,
1. How come the weight has increased so much between the non-airbag and single airbag versions, by 109 kgs? Has Renault again added some one sided reinforcement like that of Kwid?

2. How come the driver's chest has better protection in a non-airbag version (Marginal) than that in airbag version (Weak)? Can it be due to the unstable airbag as mentioned?

I'm eagerly waiting for more cars, especially from the market leader as they now claim to make safer cars.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 10th May 2017 at 15:09.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 15:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
While it is deplorable to see that any car but a barebones hatch to come without basic passive safety features in 2017. I have a question about the point of the crash test without an airbag. Because that's what we have seen, being done time and again. Even if the structure itself is stable, the rating would be bad enough for zero stars. Why then is Global NCAP taking cars and ramming them into walls when you can easily predict the outcome.

I know it makes a statement to the buyers to know what they're getting into, but i believe it would be better to see what the reasonably equipped variants like with 2 airbags can cope with. Without these,i don't remember any car passing the Crash test with good results
Testing the base variant is actually the correct thing to do since it forces the manufacturer to offer basic safety as a standard feature across the range.

Plus the test also gives some idea about the frame and structure.

Also the car makers show off their top end variants, all the while showing the base variant ex-showroom price (and adding a small starting from in the ad).
Kestrel5915 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 15:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

All the automobile manufacturers whether they are from Europe, Japan or the US, their countries have reached a saturation point. So they have found India as a dumping ground. They are dumping those old cars to India and they are compromising on safety aspects.

Global automobile manufacturers are compromising on safety aspects of cars sold in India and unless they ensured in-built safety features, crashes will continue to be fatal, according to a member of National Road Safety Council of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.

I just read news AP cabinet minister's son died in car accident. He was in a Mercedes Benz G63 AMG. No idea if it was a high speed crash but build of G Class is like a tank.
RM Motorsports is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 16:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post

I just read news AP cabinet minister's son died in car accident. He was in a Mercedes Benz G63 AMG. No idea if it was a high speed crash but build of G Class is like a tank.
The cause of death was 'internal shock injuries' due to sudden deceleration.

Tank like build quality will kill you sooner because there is no way to absorb the impact.

Actually, if you follow rules and drive safe then all cars are 5-star safe.
aerohit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 16:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
All the automobile manufacturers whether they are from Europe, Japan or the US, their countries have reached a saturation point. So they have found India as a dumping ground. They are dumping those old cars to India and they are compromising on safety aspects.
There is enough blame to pass all around. As long as we Indians continue to value bling (my judgement- which I control) over safety (my karma- which I don't control), manufacturers will continue to engage in these practices.

Even if governments mandate airbags, we will have sham features like smaller airbags just to "comply".
Contrapunto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 16:28   #15
BANNED

What I see in the clip, the passenger cabin remains pretty much intact unlike Kwid or Datsun's. This is a good thing that, structural rigidity has not been compromised. I believe the 2 airbag versions would definitely get better rating on adult protection.

Even bharat safety ratings comes in, rating for individual variants should be mentioned, otherwise, base variants scoring 0 shall remain as a features in them.

On a side note, I have not seeing any vehicle scoring good in child protection, even the 5 star vehicles with 6 airbags and other bling max out at 3 star for child safety.

Most Viewed