Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:36   #1
BHPian

Any concerns around the Ford EcoSport's latest safety advertisement?

I did contemplate posting this on the Ford EcoSport thread but thought it deserved its own thread. If the mods think otherwise, please feel free to merge this with an appropriate thread.

The ad I am referring to is this incredibly stupid advert -

As a father of a baby and a concerned citizen, I have already complained to the Advertising Standards Council of India about this misleading advert.

It is a proven fact that kids under the age of 12 and under a certain weight should be kept away from Airbags as the sheer speed and force of the deployment of the Airbag can result in serious injury to kids - can even prove fatal. And here we have an advert which has a kid under the age of 12 where it is insinuated that the airbag is safe for her. This would encourage parents to place their kids near airbags - not just in Fords but also in cars of other brands. Not only should Ford be fined, they should also be forced to run a campaign to educate people on how Airbags operate and safety standards. Please read here -
https://www.healthychildren.org/Engl...ag-Safety.aspx

I have written to Ford and to the Mr. Gadkari heading the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways about this too.
invidious is offline   (102) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 12:51   #2
BHPian

re: Any concerns around the Ford EcoSport's latest safety advertisement?

Too good Buddy! Even I thought how crazy Ford is to advertise such a misleading ad.
Just so many inconsistencies in Ford bringing out the real picture in Ford India. They seem to be totally disconnected. Total miscommunication within teams. Am sure the media department would not have got in touch with anyone in other departments for feedback for this.

This illusion of "I can survive with exports is going to Bite their bum soon"
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

The safety concern is when a child is placed in the front seat.
Side curtain airbags, which are in this car are fine. As long as the kids are not leaning against the window.

Here is a crash test video of the EcoSport with 6 airbags:

I don't find anything wrong with this advertisement. Would have preferred the kid was in a booster seat, but I don't know if she is taller than 4 feet.
bblost is offline   (70) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think the rear airbag is still safe for the kids. What you are saying is proven true for a front air bag and the main reason why the recommendation is to seat the children in the rear seat.

The ad is pretty clear where the girl is sitting and i personally dont see anything wrong with the ad.
VW2010 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

I don't think there is anything wrong in the ad, except for the fact that the child could have been placed in a booster seat. If anything, my 6 year old has started asking me why I brought a car w/o airbags. From a education perspective, I think it has done its job. I leave it to the experts to comment on the safety aspect of kids in the back seat, with a seat belt on.
dass is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:20   #6
BHPian

The airbag in question here is a side curtain airbag and i don't think it poses any serious threat to the child at the time of inflation (maybe if the child is leaning on the door and sleeping).

Maybe it would have been better if the child in the ad was in forward facing child car seat or atleast a booster seat.

But i see nothing wrong in the ad per se and i would any day prefer a car with curtain airbags without one.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I think the rear airbag is still safe for the kids. What you are saying is proven true for a front air bag and the main reason why the recommendation is to seat the children in the rear seat.

The ad is pretty clear where the girl is sitting and i personally dont see anything wrong with the ad.
Side air bags improve safety for adults in side impact crashes, but children who are not properly restrained and are seated near a side air bag may be at risk for serious injury.

Source -
invidious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Side air bags improve safety for adults in side impact crashes, but children who are not properly restrained and are seated near a side air bag may be at risk for serious injury.

Source -
I have put the money phrase in bold. This sentence means that if the child is restrained, then it is ok to sit near side air bag. In the ad, the child is restrained. So, no problem with the ad, I think.

Last edited by ashlil : 22nd June 2017 at 13:31. Reason: typo
ashlil is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
who are not properly restrained and are seated near a side air bag may be at risk for serious injury
Just adding the rest of the text for better understanding.

Check your vehicle owner’s manual to see what it says about children and side air bags.
New “advanced” air bags make travel safer for adults, but it is not yet known how they will affect the safety of children. Even though these new air bags may be safer, the back seat is still the safest place for children younger than 13 years to ride.

The rear airbags dont open like the front airbags. See any crash test video which is far more reliable than a website with hypothetical assumptions that are not tested by themselves.

One video about how the side curtain airbags roll down.
VW2010 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 13:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
I have put the money phrase in bold. This sentence means that if the child is restrained, then it is ok to sit near side air bag. In the ad, the child is restrained. So, no problem with the ad, I think.
Sure. Except the ad in question -

a. Doesn't mention the need for the kid to be restrained. How many Indians wear seatbelts at the back?

b. When the kid insinuates that she would be safer in the front because there are airbags there - the parent doesn't correct her that she shouldn't sit in front especially if there are airbags. He merely reassures her about their presence at the back.

Anyhow, it is not as if I have a bone to pick with Ford. I would have done the same with any manufacturer.

If anyone thinks the ad is fine and is not misleading, they are entitled to their opinion. I merely thought it best to highlight it to the appropriate authorities, to the company and to TBHP members here.
invidious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 14:18   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
a. Doesn't mention the need for the kid to be restrained. How many Indians wear seatbelts at the back?
A short TV Advertisement can only do so much.
About seat belts in the rear seats, the advertisement has the kid wearing it.
The fact that Indians are complacent w.r.t to basic safety features like a seat belt is very sad.

Quote:
b. When the kid insinuates that she would be safer in the front because there are airbags there - the parent doesn't correct her that she shouldn't sit in front especially if there are airbags. He merely reassures her about their presence at the back.
The kid says that airbags are only in the front. She did not insinuate that she needs to be seated in the front seat for more safety.
bblost is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 14:49   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The ad I am referring to is this incredibly stupid advert -
For the first time ever in the past decade, common people started discussing the number of airbags as something to brag about. 7 inch touchscreen was a feature earlier and better than 5 inch, but 6 airbags were not worth discussing as even two were considered a luxury in the market.

Ford has kickstarted a welcome change IMO. I was hoping other manufacturers are forced to take notice of this ad and counter it with measures of their own.

Have no clue why You would find it incredibly stupid!

Quote:
I
I have written to Ford and to the Mr. Gadkari heading the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways about this too.
With the history of the governments on reacting without research, I hope they don't place a ban on side airbags.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 15:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:

I am not very impressed with the ad as it lacks creativity - quiet a dumb ad for my taste.
But, I feel it would be too much to expect so many messages from an ad thats meant to sell a "car" and not representing Govt. Of India for road safety and awareness.
I agree with bblost's earlier comments that the child is wearing seatbelts and there is nothing wrong or mis-leading thats shown in this particular ad.

Last edited by trave11er : 22nd June 2017 at 15:05.
Old 22nd June 2017, 15:12   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When the kid insinuates that she would be safer in the front because there are airbags there - the parent doesn't correct her that she shouldn't sit in front especially if there are airbags. He merely reassures her about their presence at the back.
I hope you understand that it is an advertisement where every second counts in billing. It is not a documentary or an attempt to educate about safety and proper procedure to follow for using those safety equipments like we have in aircrafts. Ford is just trying to highlight that their car has 6 airbags and for a country like ours where safety is non existent both in the products offered and the customer's requirement, this advert will do more good than harm if we have to evaluate it in terms of social wellbeing.

Last edited by drmohitg : 22nd June 2017 at 15:13.
drmohitg is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 15:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I hope you understand that it is an advertisement where every second counts in billing. It is not a documentary or an attempt to educate about safety and proper procedure to follow for using those safety equipments like we have in aircrafts. Ford is just trying to highlight that their car has 6 airbags and for a country like ours where safety is non existent both in the products offered and the customer's requirement, this advert will do more good than harm if we have to evaluate it in terms of social wellbeing.
This is the first advertisement that I can remember (I could be wrong) that emphasises safety as THE top criterion to keep in mind when choosing which car to go for.

We should actually appreciate Ford for this one .
Nalin1 is offline   (24) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks