Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2017, 11:35   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Dzire Tour S - Now speed limited to 80 kmph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Just quoting two replys here. Sumeet himself mentioned in this very forum that he took his Carb M 800 to 110 Kmph + on Mumbai roads!

Similarly, Libranof1987 mentioned here that he did 120 kmph on a turn in his Corsa!
Did you sir go through our respective threads and see what speeds we have crossed. No need for such pains sir you could have asked me. Sometimes I drive at home from 1:30 AM 30kms one way since my shift gets over at that time. I touch reasonable 3 digit speeds when the roads are empty. If you think I am a hypocrite who thinks that others should go slow and I should go fast than it’s your opinion and you are free to think whatever you can.

Quote:

And we say that a cabie doing 80kmph is insane!
There are more examples if you read more...

IMHO, this rule is foolish. While 100 kmph is a safe speed at most of the Indian highways, even 60 kmph is over speed at some highways, eg: Kerala roads!

We have a feeling only cabs are driven rash. Anybody driven to these IT cities after a long weekend can experience how rash our youth are. They really push you out of road sometimes.

I will happily agree if this rule applies to all.. that too with a reasonable speed limit, depending on road and time.
To all of us a car is a luxury. We don’t drive it hours and hours. My commute is 1.15 hours one way unlike the cabbies who drive around 9-10 hours. Tiredness and fatigue leads to mistakes and poor judgments. I was stuck in Mumbai floods on Aug 29 for 10 hours. I know what it is to behind the wheel for so long. All I wanted to do was to get home to my destination all rules be damned that day.

When my family is onboard my car my speeds vary between 60 to 80 and I drive peacefully without indulging in any speeding antics. I cannot always be with my family all the time. Sometimes they have to take a cab/rick etc. Would I like my family to be seated in a cab which I know at his whim and fancy will hit 120 kmph. No. Whenever near and dear ones are to depart on a road journey we ask the driver to drive safe and to take it easy.

My question to you and everyone else who is against this move is what is that you think the solution should be. Do you really want a blanket restriction on all vehicles on the road including you and me to be restricted to 80Kmph? Really guys ? Why don’t you set an example and have the device fitted on your car Mister.

Quote:

Quotes were only for reference, nothing personal
Are you sure your quotes are for reference and nothing personal. BTW thank you, you reminded me of the good old carb 800 days. I had a free flow exhaust and a conical air filter. The intake sound, the exhaust growl. Clear roads in those good old days where there no moronic and dumb cabbies only the crappy rickshawalas to deal with on the roads.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 12th September 2017 at 11:36.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 12:13   #62
BHPian

Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has notified Speed Limit for Heavy Transport Vehicles, however at the moment cabs seems to have been exempted from this Speed restriction. I have attached the notification from MoRTH, Puducherry and UP Government. Not sure if there has been extension granted by Hon'ble Courts in this regard.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SppedGoverner_Central.pdf (510.6 KB, 840 views)
File Type: pdf goms20_Puducherry.pdf (953.3 KB, 264 views)
File Type: pdf Notification_UP.pdf (87.3 KB, 741 views)

Last edited by beast_within : 12th September 2017 at 12:20. Reason: Added more attachments
beast_within is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 12:19   #63
Senior - BHPian

Bad move!

High Power/torque under a responsible and a well trained driver will be way more safer than a car with a speed limiter under the hands of a rash driver!

They should try to improve licensing standards with a rigorous test on a simulator that does the evaluation by itself. Or something less prone to bribing/corruption.

120kmph was more ideal anyway. It's a bad idea to stress out the driver's even more!
Turbohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 12:51   #64
BHPian

Safe driving and more enforcing of rules should be encouraged .

To achieve that end more vigilance by the respective authorities must be done .

I fear to think what may happen on a miscalculated overtaking manoeuvre and more speed may be required when it's not available at hand .

Slowly discipline will set in all drivers and things will improve .

On a side note , infrastructure must improve and roads too must be made safer to drive , with visible signages and white/yellow lines on the road .
anky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 12:53   #65
Senior - BHPian

A bone of contention, why limit it only to Taxis? Why not personal cars too? Why not scooters? KTM's, Hayabusa's, Ferraris, Porche's, Audi's, all those Q7's and RS4's too?

This country is going to dogs, can't speak your mind, loot in the form of unreasonable taxes everyday on everything, Petrol almost touching 80 when crude is below 60 dollars, I can go on and on.

Is this the acche din we were promised or was the promise only for selected few?

I find the whole 80 thing very juvenilish and stupid but if I play along with the government's logic, If Taxi's are limited to 80, everything else should be too, "Goli kisi ka number plate dekh ke nahi lagti"
humyum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 13:30   #66
BHPian

For the record I disagree with this rule. 80kmph may be too fast in an urban area whereas it is too slow on a national highway. Also rash and fast are two different things altogether whereas this rule assumes they are the same. Instead of coming up with such mind boggling rules, our policy makers could just seek solutions from developed world. I wonder what work has been identified and completed towards following:

1) Improving DL tests,
2) Improving road signage,
3) Ensuring road lane makers are visible,
4) No sudden lane closings,
5) Enforcing speed limits using radar in urban areas and highways

This list can go on. All that our policy makers really need to do is conduct a real study on one of their study tours abroad.

I feel this rule is due to lobbying by cab operators/insurance companies to get their premiums/settlements down. I doubt they care about safety, if they did there would also be rules enforcing shift timings of cab drivers.

Finally, it is pretty ironical that this rule has been formulated keeping safety in mind whereas at the same time the idea of having autonomous cars in India has been rejected.
pratika is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 14:03   #67

I disagree with this rule to impose 80kmph as speed limit for taxis and commercial vehicles:
IMO whenever a sticky situation is encountered while driving in both city and highway we have two options - either to brake or to accelerate if possible to get out of it. Of course in majority of the cases we brake but in some cases where sudden braking is not possible we do stomp on the throttle and get out of it. The technique that must be used depends on the case to case basis, driver's driving ability and the car itself.

I feel that by imposing such a rule the government is partially curtailing the driver's ability to get away from sticky situations on a highway.

Also the notion that imposing a speed limit of 80 kmph is going to bring down the risks is not entirely true. I think we all have seen overloaded Omni taxis and Trax jeeps plying on the highway rashly during which very few of them are actually above 80 kmph.

On one hand the govt makes announcements that highways capable of 140 kmph will be built and then restricting commercial vehicles to 80 kmph doesn't make sense. Does it mean you are building high speed highways for the likes of private car owners?

It is generally said "That Government is the best that governs the least". Imposing such rules will lead lead to increased regulatory actions which will in turn give rise to corruption.
Old 12th September 2017, 14:33   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't understand why there is so much deliberation over this rule. I for one welcome it - especially with the poor quality of taxi drivers we have here.

Heck, many taxi vehicle owners on this very thread seem to be happy with the idea of restricting speed!

There is no denying taxis are the worst maintained vehicles on the roads - and even if the car is capable, the drivers don't have the experience to drive them at high speeds.
How many of them are running on bald/retreads tyres? How many of them have non functional indicators and lights? How many of them have their seatbelt hidden away from passengers who would like to use them?
Majority of them, judging from what I've seen!

Yes, it won't wipe out accidents but it will definitely reduce the number of accidents caused due to tyre bursts, over speeding, etc.

I'm saying this after my Xylo taxi had a flat tyre, at 100kmph, with the driver not realising that there was something wrong! Imagine what would have happened had I not asked him to stop and check it!
This was at Hyderabad on the ORR.

In Mumbai too, when it's pouring and you see these pesky Xcent taxis zipping past on the WEH, 20kmph over the speed limit, swerving in and out of lanes; you really wish they had a speed governer.
Especially when you see the same taxi aquaplaned and smashed on a divider a few KM's later.

Yes - this move will not help solve the issue 100%, but even a 5% benefit is better than 0!
lamborghini is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 14:53   #69
BHPian

Good move! At some point of time, it may be wise to restrict speed of all the vehicles, and not only the taxis. There are many "good" drivers on the road, driving at 140 kmph, talking on their cellphones, while also operating the touchscreen. They might also be intoxicated just a little, as they know more than supreme court judge on how much liquor is good enough for driving a car.
At some point of time, some integrated devise may be needed that can detect the intoxication levels of the driver, and not allow the car to be started. Our police force is too less to stop every driver at the highway.
hybridpetrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 15:15   #70
BHPian

I am not sure if this is a good move or a bad one..
80 kmph is still a dangerous speed to drive in the city limits. Driving at this speed can also be called as rash driving depending on where is it been driven.

Secondly, I have seen highways in our countries with a speed limit of above 80 kmph.
What would these cabbies do at such places? Block the right lane ? Or try to overtake each other eventually blocking way for the rest of vehicles?
(because "give way" is something they do not understand).

OTHER OPTION:

I think most of the cabbies have GPS installed into their cabs(UBERs and OLAs definitely have them).
Is it possible to put speed limitations based on the locations on which they drive?
For eg: inside city limits, keep it till 60 kmph.
On the highways it can be automatically revised to 80 kmph/100 kmph as per the speed limit permitted on that particular route.
Old 12th September 2017, 15:20   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Can you explain 'technically' how?
I am curious to know.
Simple! Current drawn from alternator puts a proportional mechanical load on engine.
1 bhp = 745 watts of power at 100% efficiency.
Actual will be less due to heat and other losses.
Bike headlight is about 35 watts, which is about 0.047 bhp. Thus when you switch on the headlight, this additional load will be on the engine. To compensate this load, the engine will burn a tiny amount of extra fuel.

Think about it - what is the difference between 1kva and 10 kva generator apart from the alternator? Why does a generator bogs down under sudden heavy loads(eg. AC compressor)? Its due to the sudden current demand of the alternator which cannot be compensated in real time by engine.

Last edited by purohitanuj : 12th September 2017 at 15:27.
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 15:26   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Simple! Current draw from alternator puts a proportional mechanical load on engine.
1 bhp = 745 watts of power at 100% efficiency.
Actual will be less due to heat and other losses.
Bike headlight is about 35 watts, which is about 0.047 bhp. Thus when you switch on the headlight, this additional load will be on the engine. To compensate this load, the engine will burn a tiny amount of extra fuel.

Think about it - what is the difference between 1kva and 10 kva generator apart from the alternator? Why does a generator bogs down under heavy loads? Its due to the sudden current demand of the alternator which cannot be compensated in real time by engine.
I think, you did not read my previous post.

Quote:
Alternators in 2 wheelers are generally always 'driven' by the crank at all times (via a chain/gears/pulleys or mount on the crank itself).

I don't think, I have seen/heard of an Alternator which disconnects itself, when battery is full. (Like the AC compressor which disconnects itself from the crank of a Car, when AC is off)
What I intend to say is that, the alternator shaft is anyways getting driven by the crank at all times (thereby wasting a tiny amount of fuel), irrespective of whether power is drawn or not.
So, how does it matter if the headlamp is on/off?
Old 12th September 2017, 15:34   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I think, you did not read my previous post.

What I intend to say is that, the alternator shaft is anyways getting driven by the crank at all times (thereby wasting a tiny amount of fuel), irrespective of whether power is drawn or not.
So, how does it matter if the headlamp is on/off?
Exactly what I mentioned using Generator example.
Think about a 800 watt generator with following conditions:
1. Only 1 fan running consuming say 200 watts
2. Generator running under full load of 800 watts

In both cases, the alternator shaft is anyway getting driven by engine crank at all time.

Will these two condition lead into same fuel consumption? No.
Energy cannot be created or destroyed. Thus any energy consumption is result of conversion from one form (fuel) of energy into another(electrical) irrespective of its magnitude.
Else we have free energy!
purohitanuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 15:34   #74
BHPian

A welcome move! Speed limiters in commercial vehicles is indeed good. Since many years, many transport bodies have put speed governors on buses and other commercial vehicles.
I am surprised by the critiques made in this forum on this. After all, 80 kmph is equivalent to 50 mph and it is a reasonable speed to drive.I do not know what is wrong in it. Practically it will not make much difference in time taken to complete the journey.
Looking at the rockets which ply on yamuna expressway, sometimes it is better to use force for people to fall in line. Our highways have speed limits but still cheerful drivers would want the freedom to break it as per their will. However, when driving outside India, they would like to be a model citizen and follow the speed limit although their car still allows them to cross it.
It will help the taxi owners a lot and the risk of over speeding by a reckless driver is eliminated. Secondly, they cannot be fined for over speeding on highways as it is simply not possible. Commercial vehicles by their very nature are for hire and not driven for personal use but for someone else. Therefore this restriction makes sense. I would not want to send my mother in a taxi with driver flying at 120 kmph.
autobahnjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 15:36   #75
BHPian

Keeping in mind the fact that a majority of commercial drivers lack road sense, this rule does solve 50% of the problem. However, it will end up causing more heartache to both the drivers as well as the rest of us road users than doing any good in the longer run.

A much better solution would have been to fit a standard GPS module on all vehicles sold as yellow board and a common platform used by the government to monitor their driving by cracking down hard on repeat offenders like BHPian Phamilyman mentioned.

Another solution would be to introduce a point system for commercial license and dire consequences as and when you accumulate points like suspending the license for a few months or having to retake a test for the license.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________

While going through this post by BHPian Vulken Auto on the Official Innova Crysta review thread I noticed that Toyota have also started selling the Innova with the Speed limit function. Check out the price list below. Pretty expensive for a 148BHP vehicle that can do only 80km/h!!

Maruti Dzire Tour S - Now speed limited to 80 kmph!-20170909_090745.jpg

Last edited by Shanksta : 12th September 2017 at 15:43.
Shanksta is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed