Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2017, 08:08   #16
BHPian

re: One-Way Spikes to prevent wrong-side driving?

There is more information/discussion ( Road Barriers: An effective traffic management solution for India?)
Talking about jugaad, I think we let the offenders get off easily. May be a "counter-jugaad" is necessary - unending war on the people trying to circumvent the state.

Last edited by mvadg : 13th October 2017 at 08:10.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 11:42   #17
BHPian

Re: One Way Spikes to prevent Chronic Wrong-side driving ?

[rant] Everyday I see drivers on the road especially auto and taxi driver who break every rule in existence and then some. On protesting (read honking) they look at you as if you have landed from another planet. Following traffic rules should be an honor bound practice. [/rant]

To make the roads less hazardous there are a few things needed:

- Strict driver training/tests before licensing.
- Effective challaning procedure for errant vehicles. This includes following the rule book to the letter.
- Effective implementation of surveillance cameras and challaning through monitoring of same.
- Effective maintenance of roads so that people can maintain lanes and speeds without worrying about craters.

Most of all people need to recognize the need to follow rules and then follow them.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 16:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Re: One-Way Spikes to prevent wrong-side driving?

In my opinion, below may be the consequences if implemented in India

1. The very second day, it will be stolen by the same person who installed it
2. Some creative mind will put a red thick carpet over it so that the spikes are closed due to the weight of carpet (If in case, it is not stolen) and the impact is nullified.
3. The road dividers at the edge of the will be modified to create a gap so that even an auto rickshaw can move in that gap

We are very good at creating workarounds and going shortcut. So, I do not even imagine that these kinds of things can bring discipline on the roads.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 17:59   #19
BHPian

The biggest problem in our country is ATTITUDE. Most people think that it is their RIGHT to drive on the road, where-as the same is considered as a privilege in most EU countries. Also in contrast to EU countries where getting a license is tough, here one might not even require to visit the RTO to get their license.
This is a very good solution provided people accept the fact that they need to be disciplined drivers. I have personally seen drivers, especially of Govt. cars purposely flouting rules just to show their might. The traffic cops in most cases just look at other way as they know they cant do much.

I would love to see a day when a Govt. officials car is stopped and a common man's car is allowed to pass. I know its a distant dream but the day that happens I will truly consider that we have progressed.
Maverick1977 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 23:37   #20
BHPian

What has spikes anything to do with hitting a policeman?

Instead, the policemen should be armed with rifles to take down threat or physical attack towards them, like in any other countries.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 09:51   #21
BHPian

It is a great idea. Have not seen many people drive on the wrong side of the road in Bombay except to overtake in single lane roads. Shocked to see cop beaten. People do have a sense of entitlement not only to drive but to park as well.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 10:38   #22
BHPian

Great idea, not to mention people will always find jugaad to beat it to their favour.

Nonetheless, I find it very effective for use in service roads, the ones which are actually for the purpose of traffic in reverse direction to main carriageway. Drivers often use them for the same direction as main carriageway and thereby block the entire service road which is at times just a single lane wide.
ManishSoni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 10:42   #23
BHPian

Good idea, won't work in India.

The same people when they go abroad follow all the rules.
No amount of rules , devices can work unless people change their attitude.
T1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 10:53   #24
BHPian

The problem is two pronged and each of them actually serves as a growth medium for the other. The two prongs of this problem are:

1. The public mindset
2. The mindset of law making bodies and policing

The public in general is mostly unaware of the law, because no one taught them. Wherever they are aware of it, they do not care for it because the first thing that happens is the moment they are caught, they forget who their dad is and start asking questions like "Do you know who my dad is?"

The law makers are some brainless species who look like humans and they themselves do not respect the law and the lesser we talk about police's effectiveness the better it is.

The problem can only be fixed when the the lawmakers and police is sensitized first and in parallel steps are taken to sensitize the public. Post this, proceed to a strict policing and measures to curb this menace of wrong side driving and other violations. I do not see this happening until the politicians stop playing the region, religion and caste cards as that's the only ground on which they actually win the elections and it will take another 500, if not 1000, years to change.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 20th October 2017 at 11:10.
tajender is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 16:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a popular township in Pune has gone ahead and implemented these. Unsure of how effective they might be in the long run, but we urgently need them in Hinjawadi too. (Along with pretty much everywhere else in Pune.

Pics shared by bhpian turbosam on his personal FB page.

One-Way Spikes to prevent wrong-side driving?-.facebook_1522130830195.jpg

Adequate Warning sign as well :

One-Way Spikes to prevent wrong-side driving?-fb_img_1522132366292.jpg
sajo is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 01:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Looks like a popular township in Pune has gone ahead and implemented these.
By looking at the design I think these tire killers will prevent movement in both directions and seem like a jugaad fabricated locally. warning or not somebody who isn’t aware of this having come up is surely in for a surprise and a full set of new tyres.
If you carefully look at mounting points you can see the thread portion of the bolt sticking up an inch or more which in itself will kill the tires.

Last edited by RajeVenu : 29th March 2018 at 01:17. Reason: Adding info
Old 29th March 2018, 01:34   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
If you carefully look at mounting points you can see the thread portion of the bolt sticking up an inch or more which in itself will kill the tires.
I see that at the end: maybe a special treat for two-wheelers trying to slip around!

Seriously, though, this, even unspiked is going to be an unpleasant, short, sharp speed bump.

And even more seriously: this driving on the wrong side of the road because, just because, is one of the more serious of our traffic problems, and it needs stern measures to combat it.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 01:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

The right way would be to set up cameras along a road along with a task force to physically warn offenders. This contraption is inhuman & endangers public safety. It can't be that people weren't conscious of what it's capable of, to punish what is considered a minor traffic offence.

The punishment served for driving in the wrong direction or reversing should not be beyond what's proportionate to the possible damage intended/risked by the offence itself.

Any task needs to be done with some sense of responsibility. One doesn't bring out a butchers knife to cut vegetables. Or like one can't electrocute a petty thief with electric fences. This contraption threatens to easily cause grievous injury that can very probably turn fatal.

And the fact that they've still gone ahead to operate with such a hazardous contraption shows there's a viscous mind at work to execute this.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 29th March 2018 at 02:00.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 05:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
The right way would be to set up cameras along a road along with a task force to physically warn offenders. This contraption is inhuman & endangers public safety. It can't be that people weren't conscious of what it's capable of, to punish what is considered a minor traffic offence.

The punishment served for driving in the wrong direction or reversing should not be beyond what's proportionate to the possible damage intended/risked by the offence itself.

Any task needs to be done with some sense of responsibility. One doesn't bring out a butchers knife to cut vegetables. Or like one can't electrocute a petty thief with electric fences. This contraption threatens to easily cause grievous injury that can very probably turn fatal.

And the fact that they've still gone ahead to operate with such a hazardous contraption shows there's a viscous mind at work to execute this.
Spoken my mind there! Where does it state in the law that damaging my tyres and endangering my life is a suitable punishment for driving on the wrong side? If we had an appreciation (and therefore understanding) of the law, this will not stand in a court for one second. This is akin to mob justice or lynching as we call it.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 13:06   #30
BHPian

Tyre killers for driving on wrong side of road!

Reposting Financial Express article (which has used content from RushLane) :

http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...apart/1113977/

Pune has come up with an indigenous plan to stop motorists from using the wrong side of the road. Another example of our jugaadu dimaag!

These tyre killers will be something like a speed-breaker but it'll have metal spikes on one side. So, if you're driving or riding in the right direction (that is on the left side of the road), you'll only be slowed down. However, you try to avoid taking a U-turn and think you'll only go a few metres down the wrong side, you've had it. The metal spikes will rip through the tyres. And that, *pause*, will be a much more expensive deal than driving some metres or even kms in the right direction to take a U-turn.

Tyre killers will hopefully deter the people who think it's alright to drive on the wrong side.

Personally, I am concerned about the passenger/rider safety, but it's definitely a good scare tactic to deter rampant wrong-side driving.
sharktale is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks