Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Road Safety

Old 16th April 2018, 20:13   #91
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: One-Way Spikes to prevent wrong-side driving?

I haven't had the time to go through the whole thread but adding spikes on high traffic routes is an absolute no-no. I first saw one way spike strips in a rental car return parking lot back in 2008. These were deployed to prevent anyone jacking rental cars that were parking with keys in them after customers hurriedly dumped them back to make it back to the airport in time.

After the initial Aha! moment I thought to myself that these would be the best things to put on almost all roads of the country to prevent wrong side driving. I couldn't get the right answer as to why these strips hadn't made it to the mass market then.

However, a 2015 study by the Texas Department of Transportation clarified it all for me. post link.

EngineeringAnalysisSpikeStrips.pdf

The analysis proves that this implementation is indeed dangerous. One may argue that the study only considers freeway implementations, but I feel, the lack of speed limits on our surface streets could be as bad for these as US freeways.

More reading:

https://www.azdot.gov/media/blog/pos...-way-incidents

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2018/f...-stop-drivers/

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th April 2018 at 08:58.
moralfibre is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2018, 08:25   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

After Pune fails, Jaipur Police to test traffic spikes/blade pilot project.

Quote:
Following a recent meeting, Jaipur will now test traffic spikes/blade pilot project on select roads.
Quote:
In an attempt to prevent road users from disobeying one way traffic rules and resulting accidents, the police have decided improvement can come through the installation of Traffic Spikes Barrier (Road Blade) in Jaipur City.

Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 10th May 2018 at 08:26.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2018, 13:56   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Now Noida.

News Link.

This is quite necessary in Noida. Taking the wrong side is done almost as if its mandatory by law here. Additionally,the cops in Noida are the most sparse and most the laziest I have ever seen. You will barely ever see one, and even if you do, it will be for challan drives. What they do to manage traffic is block some crossovers.
The best one I have seen is where I live. At a not-minor crossing, they have made it a three way by blocking off the go-straight for one of the four ways. Just brilliant. All it does here, and indeed, in all of noida is that people start going on the wrong side to avoid these blocks. I do hoe they stick with the spikes here.

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th December 2018 at 15:30. Reason: Updating correct URL
mayankk is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:28   #94
BHPian

Noida Authority to Install Tyre Killers to Prevent Wrong-Lane Driving
In order to prevent wrong-lane driving, Noida will soon have "tyre killers" on city roads, a first of its kind experiment in Uttar Pradesh, according to officials.
Read further :
https://www.news18.com/news/auto/noi...g-1988289.html

Last edited by virgopal : 2nd January 2019 at 09:29. Reason: Added text
virgopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 09:39   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Noida Authority to Install Tyre Killers to Prevent Wrong-Lane Driving
In order to prevent wrong-lane driving, Noida will soon have "tyre killers" on city roads, a first of its kind experiment in Uttar Pradesh, according to officials.
Read further :
https://www.news18.com/news/auto/noi...g-1988289.html
Wasn't this tried at Pune and given up on? Though it's an innovative idea, there are other risks/issues associated with it. It would be worth the while if the concerned authorities of UP and MH have a conversation to figure it out before implementing it.
swissknife is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 22:12   #96
Senior - BHPian

Default Tyre killers to be introduced in Noida

https://www.news18.com/amp/news/auto...g-1988289.html

At a few congested U turns that are notoriously known for wrong side driving.

Remains to be seen what happens when a wrong side driver with burst tyres snags all the traffic. Or an ambulance takes a wrong side lane to get a patient to hospital.

All these were considered in Pune where a housing society had tried this on a private road, and now we are going to see this and what will occur on a road with dense traffic.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 17:40   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
In cities like Pune where the problem has gotten way out of hand , why cant the authorities install one way spikes on major roads to get rid of this issue ?
....on of BHP'ians on the efficacy of measures like these ?

If this is successful , one can even link them to traffic lights to curb signal jumping

Buddy, thats a real cheeky solution to suggest! At times needed, at times not. But intuitive none the less! Most offenders do deserve the treatment though.
And yes, these need to be installed on the pedestrian walkways!

Last edited by Unavowed_X9 : 7th January 2019 at 17:47.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 09:29   #98
BHPian

This is OT in a way, so I apologize to all those offended.

This "ability" to drive on the wrong side is a problem with the thought process. It is always "chalta-hai" in the mind of the Indian driver. Let's not debate on why this is so, but admit that it is quite difficult to reprogram our brains at this point.

Now that our government has given itself the right to tap anyone's phone, I suggest they go one step further and tap into the ECU of our cars too. No need to create hassles for everyone, just disable any wrong side driving in the car itself! This is going to be a lot easier than convincing us not to drive on the wrong side.

I realize that self driving cars are doing this already, but a lower tech solution like the one suggested will keep us happy until they arrive for the masses.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote