Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2017, 10:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mandatory by 2019: Reverse parking, Seatbelt, Overspeeding Warnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
A probable implementation could have been if the first beep sounds at 80, then at couple of times at 100 and then the intensity increases as you speed past 120. picture./
That is exactly how it has been proposed.
I don't see major problem with this rule personally, as I rarely drive above 80Kmph.
However, there is no benefit in these kinds of lame warnings.
People will simply ignore them, or disable them.
Old 30th October 2017, 10:53   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mandatory by 2019: Reverse parking assist, driver airbag and seatbelt + speed warnings

Come on, you guys! Glass is half full or half empty? Let's at least applaud the fact that reverse parking assist, airbags & crash tests are soon becoming mandatory in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
All new cabs registered in telengana have a ecu speedlock at 80kmph. too
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
This will either improve after market 'fixing' for the warning or, there will be a spurt in the noise cancelling headphone market :-)
'Fixing' is already in place. Last week, I rented a self-drive Scorpio from ZoomCar. It was a new piece and had the '80 kmph max speed' sticker on it and the same was mentioned in an SMS I got from Zoom.

It still went beyond 100 kmph. I know because I saw it. Yes, there were audible warnings at 80 kmph, but no fuel cutoff, meaning ZoomCar removed the limiter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
What happens to the Ferraris and other CBUs being imported, boy will they be mad!?
Won't affect CBUs. Even the current ARAI homologation isn't applicable to cars costing over USD 40,000.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 11:03   #18
BHPian

Re: Mandatory by 2019: Reverse parking assist, driver airbag and seatbelt + speed warnings

Weren't airbags and ABS supposed to be mandatory from Octorber 2017? Now October 2017 has ended and we are talking about only driver-side airbag in 2019!! What's next? A mandatory balloon tied to the steering wheel in 2022? More gasbag than airbag, in my opinion. Seems like we get only announcements from the government, without any action.
ashlil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 11:47   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
Weren't airbags and ABS supposed to be mandatory from Octorber 2017? Now October 2017 has ended and we are talking about only driver-side airbag in 2019!! What's next? A mandatory balloon tied to the steering wheel in 2022? More gasbag than airbag, in my opinion. Seems like we get only announcements from the government, without any action.
Well, it was originally meant to be started from 2014, but postponed to October 2017.
Now it has been postponed yet again, even though the crash facility in now in place.

Mandatory by 2019: Reverse parking assist, driver airbag and seatbelt + speed warnings-arai20.jpg

Mandatory by 2019: Reverse parking assist, driver airbag and seatbelt + speed warnings-arai21.jpg

Pictures and updates from http://www.natrip.in/index.php/arai
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 12:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
What is really needed is automatic headlights and day time running lights, the latter because bikers and the former for L boards. Airbags, I'm not sure because of the Takata scandal.
Day running lights was introduced first in Europe because it was required there, since it gets dark very early in winters. In most parts of India, Day running lights is not required at all. It may look cool, but serves no purpose whatsoever. I dont see the point in mandating useless features and causing the prices to go up.

Heck, I'd even go to the other extreme and want the manufacturers to offer a striped down version with no power windows, no electric mirrors, no rain sensing wipers, no automatic headlamps etc. Just give me a good fuel efficient engine with enough power, and a safe body structure. Rest of the things I will manage on my own. Thank you.
Lalvaz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 13:08   #21
BHPian

Some part of the action is commendable.
I agree that parking assists and airbags should be made mandatory.

So, by 2019, the premium sedan of India, the Honda City which only sells (at 15 lacs) with Camera but no parking sensors will finally get sensors. Appreciate it.
Further, since the order says 'sensors', I assume they are talking about at least 2 sensors. So, the famed Innova Crysta which sells (for 18 lacs) with two reverse parking sensors, can continue to do so without any issues.

Coming to speed warnings, the audible chimes will definitely be an irritant. I am not a road burner and almost never cross 120, but I prefer to cruise at 105-110 most of the times. Would not want to hear warnings when I am driving well within the limits of
a- The car
b- The road
c- Myself.

I sincerely hope this part of the order is modified.
drive2eternity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 14:39   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Day running lights... In most parts of India, Day running lights is not required at all. It may look cool, but serves no purpose whatsoever.

Heck, I'd even go to the other extreme and want the manufacturers to offer a .... Rest of the things I will manage on my own. Thank you.
DRL does serve a purpose and a good one, it's not always about low light visibility, it's also about being visible in high glare situations, that's why motorcycles are required to have their headlights on at all times in some countries. They serve a great purpose because you can see vehicles in bright daylight, twilight and especially in the shade because the drivers don't bother with lights even at 8:30PM.

Advanced equipment is a necessity and great step towards safety, eyes on the road at all times. ACC is a great way to demist your windshield, just say the words or push a button instead of the 4 step process in lower spec cars, electric mirrors are great when parking. Cruise control is a great way to rest your feet and stretch without having to stop the car, I really missed it on my last trip, helps with fuel efficiency too.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 14:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
DRL does serve a purpose and a good one, it's not always about low light visibility, it's also about being visible in high glare situations, that's why motorcycles are required to have their headlights on at all times in some countries. They serve a great purpose because you can see vehicles in bright daylight, twilight and especially in the shade because the drivers don't bother with lights even at 8:30PM.

Advanced equipment is a necessity and great step towards safety, eyes on the road at all times. ACC is a great way to demist your windshield, just say the words or push a button instead of the 4 step process in lower spec cars, electric mirrors are great when parking. Cruise control is a great way to rest your feet and stretch without having to stop the car, I really missed it on my last trip, helps with fuel efficiency too.
Day running lights are basically to increase the vehicles conspicuity in low light situations. The same purpose can be served by putting on your lights. I fail to understand the need to burden people with additional expenses because some idiots fail to switch on their lights. Thats called dumb.

All the other frills that you mentioned are FRILLS. They do make it more convenient, yes, but are not ESSENTIAL. Let people who need them, pay for them. Its ridiculous to keep adding on Frills as Mandatory equipment on a vehicle and keep hiking up the price and increase the chances of failure due to increased electronics.
Old 29th November 2017, 08:45   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Panel seeks tech to curb overspeeding.

Quote:
A panel appointed by transport ministry has recommended inclusion of a feature in the electronic control unit (ECU) in vehicles which will not allow them to run at more than 10% of the maximum permitted speed.

link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 09:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Panel seeks tech to curb overspeeding.
A knee-jerk reaction. I'm all for this move, but before that, govt needs to ensure lane discipline, efficient toll booths and good roads and have uniform speed limits (not feasible IMO). e.g. an expressway might have 80 kmph limit, but ghat roads in the Himalayas might have 60 kmph. It won't deter motorists from speeding in such cases.

Rather than restricting the top speed, greater enforcement can be done. Advantages - generate revenue + employment for many.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 18:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Celerio, Celerio X updated with new safety features

Maruti Suzuki has updated the Celerio and Celerio X models with new safety features. In addition to a driver airbag and seat belt reminder, both models now get a front passenger seat belt reminder, ABS, rear parking sensors and speed alert system as standard.

Mandatory by 2019: Reverse parking assist, driver airbag and seatbelt + speed warnings-celerio.jpg

Under the skin, both cars remain unchanged. Both share the same 998cc, 3-cylinder petrol engine that produces 67 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 90 Nm of torque @ 3,500 rpm. The Celerio is also available with a CNG option. On CNG, the engine output drops to 58 BHP and 78 Nm of torque. Transmission options include a 5-speed manual and a 5-speed AMT.

Mandatory by 2019: Reverse parking assist, driver airbag and seatbelt + speed warnings-celeriorxexterior.jpg

Updated variant-wise ex-showroom prices:

Celerio:

LXi - Rs. 4,31,288

LXi (O) - Rs. 4,39,658

VXi - Rs. 4,70,138

VXi (O) - Rs. 4,77,257

ZXi - Rs. 4,95,923

ZXi (O) - Rs. 5,36,278

VXi AGS - Rs. 5,13,137

VXi (O) AGS - Rs. 5,20,256

ZXi AGS - Rs. 5,38,923

ZXi (O) AGS - Rs. 5,48,278

VXi CNG - Rs. 5,34,999

VXi (O) CNG - Rs. 5,42,999

Celerio X:

VXi - Rs. 4,80,198

VXi (O) - Rs. 4,86,073

ZXi - Rs. 5,04,734

ZXi (O) - Rs. 5,45,349

VXi AGS - Rs. 5,23,197

VXi (O) AGS - Rs. 5,29,073

ZXi AGS - Rs. 5,47,734

ZXi (O) AGS - Rs. 5,57,349

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 22:42   #27
Senior - BHPian

From April 2019, all new cars get enhanced safety features

A soft reminder that from April 2019, all new cars will come equipped with enhanced safety features. Features such as ABS, driver side airbag, seat belt warning, high-speed warning and rear parking sensors will be offered as standard.

Mandatory by 2019: Reverse parking assist, driver airbag and seatbelt + speed warnings-marutiswiftwindsongedition4.jpg

These safety features have been standard on all new models launched after April 2018. However, as per new safety norms, it is mandatory for automakers to provide these features on all models.

Here is a list of all the mandatory safety features:

Anti-lock Braking System (ABS):

ABS prevents the front wheels of the car from locking up on panic braking. It prevents the car from skidding off the road surface.

Airbags:

Airbags reduce the risk of injury in case of a collision. All cars sold in India will be equipped with at least a driver side airbag, while more expensive cars might get dual airbags as standard.

Seat belt warning:

The system is designed to remind the driver and front passenger to wear the seat belt. It sounds a warning beep when seat belts are not used. Also, the driver gets a warning light in the instrument cluster. This feature will be mandatory from July 2019.

High-speed warning:

All vehicles manufactured after July 2019 will be fitted with a high-speed warning system that sounds a beep when the vehicle exceeds 80 km/h. Above 120 km/h the system starts beeping continuously. Commercial vehicles will be equipped with a speed limiter set at 80 km/h.

Reverse parking sensors:

Rear parking sensors warn the driver of obstacles behind the vehicle. The sensors are activated when the car is put in reverse.

Central locking with manual override:

To prevent passengers from getting trapped inside the vehicle, all cars that have electronic central locking will come fitted with a manual override.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 17:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Updated Maruti Eeco launched with new safety features; priced from Rs. 3.55 lakh

Maruti Suzuki has updated the Eeco with new safety features in order to comply with the new regulations. The updated model is priced from Rs. 3,55,204 (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Mandatory by 2019: Reverse parking assist, driver airbag and seatbelt + speed warnings-eecomasthead_dv1.jpg

The car now comes equipped with ABS, EBD, driver side airbag, front seat belt reminders and rear parking sensors. Speed alert system is also standard across all variants except the Tour V variants that get a speed limiter that is set at 80 km/h. Besides this, the Eeco also gets a new 3-spoke steering wheel.

Name:  Exterior imagev1.png
Views: 2348
Size:  124.9 KB

The updated Maruti Eeco is powered by the same 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 72 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 101 Nm of torque @ 3,000 rpm and is mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. The Eeco is also available in CNG variants.

Mandatory by 2019: Reverse parking assist, driver airbag and seatbelt + speed warnings-ee_int4.jpg

Variant-wise ex-showroom prices:

5 STR STD - Rs. 3,55,204

Tour V 5 STR STD - Rs. 3,60,910

Cargo Petrol - Rs. 3,69,123

Tour V 7 STR STD - Rs. 3,80,626

7 STR STD - Rs. 3,83,611

Tour V 5 STR AC - Rs. 3,94,334

5 STR AC - Rs. 3,96,005

5 STR STD CNG - Rs. 4,28,294

Cargo CNG - Rs. 4,41,840

5 STR AC CNG - Rs. 4,69,096

Tour V 5 STR AC CNG - Rs. 4,69,436

Cargo CNG AC - Rs. 4,85,937

Care - Rs. 6,54,913

Mandatory by 2019: Reverse parking assist, driver airbag and seatbelt + speed warnings-repeatneweeco_ccv1.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 6th April 2019 at 17:21.
TusharK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 17:27   #29
BHPian

Re: Updated Maruti Eeco launched with new safety features; priced from Rs. 3.55 lakh

While looking that the price list, I wonder, 7 seater option doesn't have any option for A/C? One can only get A/C with 5 seater?
Old 6th April 2019, 21:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: Updated Maruti Eeco launched with new safety features; priced from Rs. 3.55 lakh

I guess the Eeco might see another round of upgrades soon to clear crash test norms that come later this year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks