Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2017, 16:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Revv to use Mobileye’s driver assistance systems in its cars

Self-drive car sharing startup Revv has partnered with Mobileye to install advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) in their cars with an aim to reduce the number accidents on Indian roads.

Revv to use Mobileye’s driver assistance systems in its cars-revv.jpg

Mobileye’s ADAS technology includes 5 main features – Forward Collision Warning, Headway Monitoring & Warning, Pedestrial and Cyclist Collision Warning, Lane Departure Warning and Speed Limit Indication. The system alerts the driver prior to a potential accident, giving the driver enough time to react and mitigate or completely avoid the accident.

The system was installed on 30 vehicles run by Revv in India. The system was tested over a 3 month period, during which the cars covered over 4,00,000 km. According Revv, the number of accidents reduced by 74% during this period. The company now plans to roll out the system across its entire fleet of 800 vehicles.

Mobileye is an Intel Company based in Israel that develops vision-based advanced driver assistance systems, artificial intelligence and autonomous driving.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 2nd November 2017 at 16:53.
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 17:27   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Revv to use Mobileye’s driver assistance systems in its cars

Sounds like an awful lot of beeping!!

Quote:
the number of accidents reduced by 74% during this period.
Would like to see the raw data here. Sounds a little too good to be true/consistently the case.
Rehaan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2017, 18:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The system was tested over a 3 month period, during which the cars covered over 4,00,000 km. According Revv, the number of accidents reduced by 74% during this period. The company now plans to roll out the system across its entire fleet of 800 vehicles.

Link to Team-BHP News
A lot of questions:

1) How are they defining an accident? Thankfully, none of the cars I have travelled till date (clocked more than 1,50,000km met with an 'accident'), but that doesnt mean car accidents dont happen.

2) 30 cars is too small a number to conclude the system is offering value

3) Driver behaviour (alertness, attitude, driving manners etc.) perhaps has the greatest influence on (non)occurance of accidents besides the locations (and time of the day) these cars plied regularly. A sedate driver is less likely to meet with an accident compared to a rash driver, and therefore, unless drivers are profiled for risky driving (or driving in accident prone areas), one cannot say with certainity in which case MobileEye has added greater value. For now, it treats both types of drives equally and would have overestimated the sedate driver's chance of meeting with an accident.

4) Further, such tests should be conducted in pairs. For the 30 cars they have chosen to ply with MobileEye, they should have another 30 cars not installed with MobileEte, following a similar routine (a pre-requisite being the risk profiles based mapping in 3) clocking same mileage. Then we can conclude if the 30 cars installed with ME achieved better 'accident rating' compared to the other 30 cars minus one, statistically speaking.

This looks like marketing gimmick to me unless they present more details on how the study was conducted besides sharing raw data as recommended by someone.
bhaskaracs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 13:33   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Mobileye’s ADAS technology includes 5 main features – Forward Collision Warning, Headway Monitoring & Warning, Pedestrial and Cyclist Collision Warning, Lane Departure Warning and Speed Limit Indication.
While I appreciate the initiative, most of these are pointless in India. After experiencing some of them in Volvos, I can say that they are just overkill for Indian driving conditions. As Rehaan posted, the beeps will drive you crazy. Hope there's also a way to disable these systems . If not, this would be one reason for me to pick Myles or Zoom over Revv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
30 cars is too small a number to conclude the system is offering value
But 4 lakh km isn't (if their claim is actually true).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 13:46   #5
Team-BHP Support

Was thinking about this earlier this morning after reading bhaskaracs' post:

4 lakh km across 30 cars.

That's 13,334 km per car.

If you think about "What are the chances of having an accident in 13k of driving a car?" -- and you choose a rather high number, say 50% chance an accident will happen.

That's still just a count of 15 accidents this whole statistic's baseline would be based on.

To add to bhaskaracs' list of points -- Informing the drivers they are part of a study / test of new features might have also had an influence on how careful they were?

Am all for additional safety systems, but they should be effective and sustainable on a large scale too.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd November 2017 at 13:47.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 13:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
After experiencing some of them in Volvos, I can say that they are just overkill for Indian driving conditions.

I test drove the XC90 yesterday(it has a crap engine btw) and they proudly say that they are the first company to offer radar-based safety aids. While it is fascinating at first, it nearly had me crash because it didn't steer the car correctly. When I asked the sales guy why he said that the car uses the white lines markers on the road to keep its line and since a small patch of the road didn't have the lines properly painted it steered off! Thank god I was at a low speed.
No automated driving for me for a while, I rather have the computers assist me in braking and controlling in case of an emergency but no way am I giving them the reigns anytime soon.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 15:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Sounds like an awful lot of beeping!!
You bet!! After reading this post I realized I was one of the guinea pigs of revv. Rented an Innova in Sep '17. A few minutes after we started our drive it started beeping straight away. We were not even exceeding the 80kmph. I thought it was their speed governor gone wrong and beeping us to slow down. Could not take it much longer and called their helpline. Customer support asked to ignore the beep and just stay under 125kmph.
Eventually had to get used to the beeping. Few hrs later noticed the device, since it was taped to the windshield and the tape ran out of glue and the device started following over. It was then we were able to figure out a pattern and realize why the beeps were happening. Could do nothing either way. I am now surprised that either customer support were not aware of this or did not want to divulge that to us.

Just rented another Innova over the past weekend in Bangalore. No device on that. A much more peaceful drive in that sense, but 2 additional kids on the car made up for what was missing.
kmadhok is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks