Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2017, 15:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mika Hakkinen in India to promote responsible driving

Mika Hakkinen - the former Formula 1 driver will be in India later this month. He will visit Mumbai and Gurugram on November 11 and 12, 2017 respectively. Hakkinen is the Global responsible drinking ambassador for the "Johnnie Walker - The Journey" campaign.

Mika Hakkinen in India to promote responsible driving-join-pact-johnnie-walker-journey-mika-hakkinen.jpeg

The two-time Formula 1 champion will ride with consumers in Mumbai on November 11. Ola has partnered with Johnnie Walker to provide these rides. On November 12, Hakkinen will drive select guests and winners of a contest held by Star Sports in the the Caparo T1 supercar in Gurugram. The event is scheduled to be held in Ambience Island, where a small motorsports carnival will be setup. A vintage car rally has also been organized for the visitors. Hakkinen will urge visitors to pledge to never drink and drive.

Johnnie Walker - The Journey aims to promote responsible drinking habits. Mika Hakkinen is associated with this movement since the last 10 years. The campaign involves signing a pledge to never drink and drive. Johnnie Walker claims that at present, 4.8 million people from over 40 countries have signed and pledged their support. By 2018, the company aims to increase this number to 5 million.

In India, one road accident occurs every four minutes. It is estimated that 1.5% of road traffic accidents and 4.6% of fatalities are related to drinking and driving. In India, Johnnie Walker is aiming to collect over 2 million pledges.

To take the pledge, click here.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 9th November 2017 at 14:05.
blackwasp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 16:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mika Hakkinen in India to promote responsible driving

Wow, the asli flying finn himself! This is the man who brought in a whole new generation of F1 fans, including self. Will definitely make time to be in the same space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Hakkinen will urge visitors to pledge to never drink and drive.

[/url].

Link to Team-BHP News

That ought to be something else. Probably the shortest "urging" in history.
Mika, people should not drink and drive?
Mika: .........Yes.

Finish.

Last edited by mayankk : 8th November 2017 at 16:56.
mayankk is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 09:59   #3
BHPian

Oh boy!Mika is my favourite F1 driver since childhood. It is amazing that he will be in Mumbai on the 11th. How I wish I could be there. I hate our 6 day work week even more now
AdiSolEn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 13:22   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The definitive 'gentleman' of an F1 driver. Liked by all - even his fiercest rivals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Hakkinen will urge visitors to pledge to never drink and drive.
Quote:
It is estimated that 1.5% of road traffic accidents and 4.6% of fatalities are related to drinking and driving
Good initiative. I doubt it's only 1.5% of road accidents though - would be far higher in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
This is the man who brought in a whole new generation of F1 fans, including self.
Likewise! Got into F1 in the late 90s and Mika was the first driver I supported. See what was on my Jeep before Team-BHP stickers came out:
Mika Hakkinen in India to promote responsible driving-17.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2017, 23:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Does anybody know the time and place this event is happening in Bombay on the 11th. Would love to go see him and hopefully win that ride
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 10:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Does anybody know the time and place this event is happening in Bombay on the 11th. Would love to go see him and hopefully win that ride
There is a press conference with Mika in BKC. Not sure of the time. Ola will choose lucky people and ferry them to this spot for a chance to meet the F1 driver.

Take a look at the twitter accounts of Ola and JWTheJourney along with their Facebook pages for more info. You have to retweet / share to take part in the contest.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th November 2017 at 11:13.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 13:26   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mika Hakkinen in India to promote responsible driving-m0.jpg

Mika Hakkinen in India to promote responsible driving-m1.jpg

Out of the million fans who pledged to #JOINTHEPACT and Never Drink and Drive, 12 fans were chosen for a once in a lifetime opportunity to be driven by Häkkinen in the Caparo T1 at Ambience Island.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 23:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Autocar India managed to get a ticket to meet the legend. Quick chat video below:

gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 00:44   #9
BHPian

Took some time out last Sunday to visit the Join The Pact program at Ambience Island in Gurgaon. Having driven all the way from Noida, I was a bit bummed at first because entry into the main event area could only be gained through a VIP pass, which I didn't have. For general public, of which there were hardly 10-15 of us, we could only watch from a little further behind.

After the event was over and Mika was done with his interview with Rannvijay and had given passenger rides in the Caparo T1, myself along with a 2-3 more F1 fans who'd been cheering for some time were finally noticed by his crew, after which he came over to sign some autographs and shook hands.

It was great to be up close with an F1 Legend, and I was actually left a bit speechless when he started walking towards us.

But as for the event, I honestly felt it was just another gathering for a select few socialites who cared more about the glam-shlam and Instagram rather than the cause. Also, I didn't feel this event actually helped spread any awareness about the dangers of drunk driving to anyone apart from the miniscule amount of audience that was present, maybe it was because it was happening too far away from the general Sunday public of Ambience mall, or maybe the word hadn't spread enough.

But at the end of the day, I was happy to have come face-to-face with one of my heroes and watch him do some donuts in a road-legal racecar.
Attached Thumbnails
Mika Hakkinen in India to promote responsible driving-hakkinen.jpg  

Most Viewed