Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2017, 15:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Delhi smog causes traffic woes, accidents

Thought I’d share the best respirator from 3M here for our fellow bhpians who are from smog affected places such as Delhi and NCR vicinity.

Use the respirators to ensure you inhale quality air to keep yourself healthy.

3M Particulate Respirator

Delhi smog causes traffic woes, accidents-1b7238f5dc704129898f4ab7bacd2741.jpeg

Hope we humans realize the value of keeping the environment clean and conserve nature for our future generation to live a healthy life!
gururajrv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 20:01   #17
BHPian

Its a problem faced by people staying in NCR. As has been explained by 'No Honking' and 'Traveller Nayak'. The issue is not only stopping the plying of vehicles of burning of crops. The real problem is to change the outlook and mindset of the people.

Smog has reulted in brisk business for sellers selling the masks, home air purifiers and car air purifiers.
behaln is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 21:57   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's what it looks like from above.

I clicked this last year, a day after Diwali when the smog is usually at its worst. What more proof do we need to mend our ways.

Govt. will do what it has to, why can't we start being a little more sensible!
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi smog causes traffic woes, accidents-1510762974761.jpg  

Dry Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 22:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Thought I’d share the best respirator from 3M here for our fellow bhpians who are from smog affected places such as Delhi and NCR vicinity.

Use the respirators to ensure you inhale quality air to keep yourself healthy.

3M Particulate Respirator

Attachment 1696596
To add to this post.

Air purifiers are in huge demand in Delhi now, understandably so. Realising the sense of panic that has set in, a lot of companies have launched air purifiers of various makes, hoping to make merry while the sun (doesn't) shine.

However, as can be expected, most of the air purifiers on sale are nothing but a load of crap. And people just buy these, thinking they would be breathing fresh air at least inside their homes. Trust me, these don't work, at least the way they are intended to. And whats more, most of these companies will just sell you the purifier, without too much info or supoort with regards to th replacement air filters.

I can say this with experience as last year I had bought a Eureka Forbes purifier. Fortunately therefter, I chanced upon this website -> https://smartairfilters.com/in/en/

I landed at their warehouse at Lado Sarai Delhi. Was really impressed with the stuff they have on offer. Bought an Air Quality Monitor (AQM) and a Ladakh Pro 600 Air purifier.

The AQM works very well and its readings more or less match the ones from official air monitoring stations of Delhi (published in newspapers etc). This AQM proved to be a revelation, as the Eureka Forbes purifier proved to be almost worthless, even with new air filters, as the air quality both inside or outside was more or less the same even after a significant amount of time.
In the room with Ladakh pro 600, the situation however was entirely different. Since this purifier has a large HEPA 14 filter, and a more powerful fan, the AQI levels inside v/s outside were 100/350. Further, these purifiers have none of those fancy but worthless features like ionizers etc, which actually do you more harm than good.

So, if anyone is looking out for an air purifier, I would strongly recommend checking out this website/ store once. This is an Indian start up with really good intent and quality products, offering complete bang for your buck. I can vouch being a very happy customer for the last one year or so.

Best wishes.

Last edited by nvldvr : 15th November 2017 at 23:05. Reason: Typing error
nvldvr is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 23:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
To add to this post.
This is an Indian start up
I don't think so. They have been operating in China for a while and all of it started with a PhD student there who wanted cleaner air.

Having said that I have been following their products and have read many many blog posts by the PhD founder. I like their no frills products. Simple, to the point and relatively cheap too.

I have ordered a mask for my horrible dusty walk to office in Blore and I am all set to buy the Philips 1215 air purifier.
rajathv8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 23:31   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
I don't think so. They have been operating in China for a while and all of it started with a PhD student there who wanted cleaner air.
Factual error on my part. Thanks for the correction.
Old 16th November 2017, 04:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

I don't live in Delhi, never have so won't comment on anything apart from the fact that there is a human responsibility too.

Apart from the whole car rationing exercise, what else is the Delhi Govt doing about it? Smog isn't new to Delhi anymore. This probably repeats at the same time every year and has been the case for the last few years. Has anything been done to educate the farmers?

I don't recall where I read this. Our scientists were experimenting with rockets as a means to reduce pollution or take away dirty air.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 16th November 2017 at 04:47.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 09:54   #23
BHPian

Aptly said Traveller Nayak, the politics has given health, life, compassion and all other virtues and values a backseat. What we are observing today is shear lack of ownership of actions. Just today morning I read in twitter that Capt Amrinder singh, the honourable CM of Punjab has refused to meet Mr Arvind Kejriwal, CM of Delhi over this issue citing it as wastage of time. Link https://twitter.com/arvindkejriwal/s...84661867081729 . http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...-time-4937942/ .
That being the state of affairs in the higher lobby, it’s utlimately the MAN FOR HIMSELF as he fights for his survival.
Old 16th November 2017, 15:18   #24
BHPian

Today morning was quite bad. GGN, Sector 66 at 8:15 AM. The sun is blotted out.
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi smog causes traffic woes, accidents-wp_20171116_08_09_11_pro.jpg  

asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 15:59   #25
BHPian

So Dilli citizens pay a cess on Diesel for Green Fund.

https://www.ndtv.com/delhi-news/delh...n-fund-1775784
Old 17th November 2017, 13:02   #26
Team-BHP Support

According to this report -
  • 40% of smog is caused by dust from Gulf
  • 25% by crop burning
  • 35% by locally produced pollution

Link: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/61679352.cms

Delhi smog causes traffic woes, accidents-smog.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 14:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
  • 25% by crop burning

Attachment 1697198
That gives a good excuse for our politicians :(
But is this dust from Gulf contribute to PM2.5 which I think is the most dangerous one and needs to be looked into ?
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 14:12   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
That gives a good excuse for our politicians :(
Maybe there is some truth in this report because even Lahore (Pakistan) has been enveloped by smog.
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...stan-and-india

Quote:
Parts of Pakistan have been enveloped by deadly smog in recent weeks, with the city of Lahore suffering almost as badly as the Indian capital Delhi.

Pictures and video that show Lahore looking like an apocalyptic landscape have left people in shock. Some residents have said they can’t see beyond their outstretched arm. According to the app Airvisual and a Twitter user going by the handle @Lahoresmog, the air quality index, which measures the level of PM 2.5 pollutants in the air, has been set at “hazardous” over the past week, making a modest improvement in recent days.
Old 18th November 2017, 13:25   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
  • 25% by crop burning
Link: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/61679352.cms
So if we arrest the local factors, it will still reduce the pollution by 60%. But, no. Instead, now, we will focus on how it is out of our control (never mind the percentage contribution). Sigh!
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2017, 14:48   #30
BHPian

There is a thought process of banning BS IV cars and bringing forward BS VI cars in NCR by 2018. The OEM"s are struggling to manufacture BS VI by 2020 deadline so its almost impossible for them.

So only CBU's and select premium/luxury cars may be available for sale post 2018, if NGT has its way.

But i digress. In IMHO EV's are not an illusion and way out in the future as people are suggesting for the Indian market. Governments are looking at making ICE expensive by heightening regulatory norms such as CO2 and NOX that EV will be fait accompli.

Given the way our judiciary works I would not be surprised if within 5 years non EV vehicles are banned in NCR. Another year of heavy smog will make sure the favorite wipping boy ie the auto industry gets it hard.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks