Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2017, 18:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Three killed after Innova falls from incomplete flyover near Chennai

I had a similar incident about 9 years back. I was driving along with my wife on Bangalore - Tirunelveli route (don't remember the exact location) when suddenly there was no road connecting the 2 ramps of the flyover. Thankfully it was daytime and I could see the gap from far and could stop in time.
Similarly on NICE road, in Bangalore, I once got lost and suddenly the road abruptly ended. Not been able to find that place again either.
Unfortunately we live in a country where we can take nothing for granted. Even when there is a green light and there are vehicles moving ahead of you, always look out for signal jumpers. It all boils down to 'you are responsible for your own and your passenger's safety, So constant vigilance'.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 19:18   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

This is part of a larger problem of traffic, road safety and transportation infrastructure always having had a lackadaisical approach in our country. Administrations must understand that this can no longer be considered as a transactional and reactive, but of the highest priority; we are not a small country with a 60M population.

They have to put a date and work backwards to put systems in place to enforce mature nation-wide traffic discipline and road safety, with adequate checks and balances.

Last edited by theMAG : 25th November 2017 at 19:20.
theMAG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 20:43   #18
BHPian

Three killed after car falls from incomplete flyover near Chennai

"THREE HUMANS DIED" due to the apathy of political/bureaucracy/administration carelessness. Would any public servant leave his/her own house half constructed? They are OK to junk such flyover due to multi-layered systemic failure, AND this includes common man.

Who to blame ? Who will get the punishment? who is to take the accountability?

I'm terrified since I always drive through that very road, and always wonder how 'ANY' responsible govt abandon a half constructed flyover!!!. Imagine a half done DAM !!!

I sincerely hope that no other life is list due to these blood suckers callousness.

Last edited by harishpr : 25th November 2017 at 20:46.
Old 25th November 2017, 21:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
There is no way that a driver can figure out whether it 'exists' or not until he /she reaches too close to it.
Brilliant, finally someone has nailed it.

That's your first PRIMARY rule of driving each rider / driver needs to follow anywhere on the planet
Road signs are secondary.

When you cannot see further, you need to slow down and NEVER assume, I dont need to say it however,
"Assumption is the mother of ".
On the road, your safety remains in your own hands and your foresight.

The law will continue its course, justice will prevail, however life lost is LOST.
Old 25th November 2017, 21:45   #20
BHPian

May the departed rest in peace.

I have a robot vacuum cleaner which detects the absence of a path (like on a stair) and doesn't go towards that. When I read about this incident, it struck me that we hardly have any active safety features on our cars. Airbags will deploy when there's an accident. A simple ultrasound sensor based alarm that detects the presence/absence of a road from afar could have saved the car and the family. Even a Rs. 10000 vacuum cleaner has better technology than the active safety features on some of the most expensive cars.
Nissan1180 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 22:00   #21
BHPian

http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...l-1710594.html

The usual excuses have started rolling in blaming the movie production units etc. But no matter what excuses they come up with, doesn't the primary responsibility remain with those to manage this stretch of construction until its completion to ensure the safety of those who use the roads in and around this development.

Its a pity that in our country people/departments can shift the blame to someone else and sit on their hands until the next such accident happens. Some form of accountability needs to be brought to these infrastructure upgrades, and if we as common people don't raise our voice, this accident will continue to be another statistic in the government's apathy and no change will ensue.

Hopefully someone is held accountable and for those of us who use the highways after paying road-tax on purchase and registration, contributions through surcharges on fuel etc. will finally get what we are paying for, and the least is accountability from the authorities.
mindovermotor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 22:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
I have a robot vacuum cleaner which detects the absence of a path (like on a stair) and doesn't go towards that. ... A simple ultrasound sensor based alarm that detects the presence/absence of a road from afar could have saved the car and the family. Even a Rs. 10000 vacuum cleaner has better technology than the active safety features on some of the most expensive cars.
With all due respect, the range of the vacuum cleaner's edge detection feature won't be more than a foot or so.

For a car that travels several hundred feet in a minute, the same system is useless. A similar system would probably cost more than the car itself.
honeybee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2017, 22:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
May the departed rest in peace.

I have a robot vacuum cleaner which detects the absence of a path (like on a stair) and doesn't go towards that. When I read about this incident, it struck me that we hardly have any active safety features on our cars. Airbags will deploy when there's an accident. A simple ultrasound sensor based alarm that detects the presence/absence of a road from afar could have saved the car and the family. Even a Rs. 10000 vacuum cleaner has better technology than the active safety features on some of the most expensive cars.
Your robot is small and runs at slow speed, has less weight, hence less momentum. Car is something really different. For suggesting i can suggest that car should fly when there is no road. I can say that my kids toy can fly and drive which technology is not available on most expensive cars. There is reasoning for these things, all things depend on application, purpose, use, feasibility.

Here in this case the problem is not technology, problem is process from authority and partially i would say driver as well. As we know our surroundings are like this then we should reprogram our senses and guts.
Old 25th November 2017, 23:03   #24
BHPian

Another sad instance that exposes our poor road standards. Unless we have solid mechanisms to warn/ regulate the vehicle movement, good tarmac doesn't make safe roads. What do we commonly seen on roads- Signboards, road markings or advertisements ?

Scary, and reminds me of the night I crashed and ran over on an unpainted and unsignalled median ( median opening to be exact, where vehicles take U turn) on Bangalore - Salem national highway 10 years ago at expressway speeds. By God's grace we came out unhurt, though the car suffered severe damages.

Most Viewed