Senior - BHPian

Re: Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards

UP Government going active on Bullbars

https://smart.livehindustan.com/luck...465816307.html
tanwaramit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 23:24   #167
BHPian

Madras high court upholds Centers ban on bull bars and also asks enforcement agency to take action against the so called important people.

Link
saisree is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 00:05   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Hope they truly implement it unlike the Sun control films which people still adorn with aplomb without much worry. I had taken down films as per the orders. Now will need to take down the guards.

How about the accessories of FootSteps? Aren't they also hampering the body design?
I guess that would be next atleast for the ones which do not come factory fitted with the same.
IMHO, it's impossible to live without a sun control film on the windows, especially in scorching summers. I have been using a 60% visibility film on all my cars and have been fined twice back in 2018, since then, cops have moved on, atleast in Mumbai. Even if I get fined now, I will not remove the film! The real problem is with films that are pitch-dark; mostly used in high-end SUVs etc; seems they get away easily because of political jugaad and affixing the sticker of some party or the other.

With regard to your point on Foot Steps affixed on cars, yes I agree that even those may be considered illegal.

Frankly, it's about patchy implementation of rules in our country. Cops suddenly wake up and start fining; maybe when they fall short of achieving targets.
Old 10th September 2022, 00:04   #169
BHPian

Re: The Flights of Icarus | Our Mahindra XUV700 AX5 Diesel MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Congratulations for the addition of features on the ICARUS. I just love (and admire) your enthusiasm for doing these modifications in your car.

I have one question for you. I have noticed that you have fitted the rear crash guard in your 700. You are very much aware that these were not legal earlier, at one point of time as well as the technical issues associated with it (there is a thread started by you on this issue). Has the rules changed in the meantime, and I am not aware of it or is there some other reasons for fitting this rear crash guard.
As far as i know only the front crash guards are illegal as they having them wont comply for pedestrian protection and also impacts frontal crash energy dissipation and airbag deployments. The rear crash guards were not illegal as far as i know. As we don't have any crash standards that define the rear crash requirement. I don't think they are illegal at all.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th September 2022 at 03:34. Reason: Typos.
Wakeupsid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 11:39   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeupsid View Post
As far as i know only the front crash guards are illegal as they having them wont comply for pedestrian protection and also impacts frontal crash energy dissipation and airbag deployments. The rear crash guards were not illegal as far as i know. As we don't have any crash standards that define the rear crash requirement. I don't think they are illegal at all.
Incorrect information, front as well as rear bull bars are completely illegal as per the govt ruling, a simple google search will clear your doubts.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 14:46   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Incorrect information, front as well as rear bull bars are completely illegal as per the govt ruling, a simple google search will clear your doubts.
I am not saying all rear bumper guards are legal. All the accessories sold by the automakers need to be approved by the Govt as part of type approval process as far as I know. I have worked on homologating vehicle and add on accessories for US, EU and China, and every accessories we sold had to be approved. I am assuming India type approval has the same. Mahindra sells XUV 700 rear bumper guards on their M2All website, I am assuming its their official website. Also last I heard Mahindra showrooms do offer rear bumper guards as accessories in official manner (correct me if I am wrong). The govt ruling in alterations/modification of vehicle is prohibited when you add things to the vehicle which are not approved. If the accessories are approved then it cannot legally be deemed illegal.

Lot of us add after-market seat covers, we are not sure if they were tested for Flammability standards, People change Rims and tyers after purchase, those are illegal as well, because they are not tested with the vehicle. People change Rim size, that alters the Odometer calculations as well. The list goes on.

So as per your statement, google search might not be an appropriate way to understand a govt ruling or judgement. We also need to understand the complete process an the context it applies to.

I am not saying I am 100% correct, I don't have complete understanding of Indian type approvals system. I am sorry if I sound rude in my response, because that's not my intention. I am happy to be corrected and learn thing.
Wakeupsid is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 17:02   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeupsid View Post
I am not saying I am 100% correct, I don't have complete understanding of Indian type approvals system. I am sorry if I sound rude in my response, because that's not my intention. I am happy to be corrected and learn thing.
This is the thread on this forum which I referred :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showt...errerid=199218 (Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards)

The ban order was upheld by the Madras High Court -
https://www.livelaw.in/news-updates/...finitescroll=1

The Delhi High Court issued a stay on the implementation of the ban order -
https://www.carblogindia.com/crash-g...s-stay-on-ban/

Not sure what the legal interpretation is finally. I am in a dillema on this issue as I too have a XUV 700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisshith View Post
Can you tell me where did you get the "ICARUS" sticker from?
Kindly scroll back to post#60 of this thread and you'll get all the details.

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th September 2022 at 17:33. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you!
Sommos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 21:53   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
This is the thread on this forum which I referred :
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showt...errerid=199218 (Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards)

The ban order was upheld by the Madras High Court -
https://www.livelaw.in/news-updates/...finitescroll=1

The Delhi High Court issued a stay on the implementation of the ban order -
https://www.carblogindia.com/crash-g...s-stay-on-ban/

Not sure what the legal interpretation is finally. I am in a dillema on this issue as I too have a XUV 700.

Kindly scroll back to post#60 of this thread and you'll get all the details.
Unfortunately, I am 100% in agreement with you. Its really difficult to understand on which law will supersede the approved crash guards.
Also the frontal ones are 100% banned. My argument here is only on rear crash guards.
Unfortunately when a cop stops the car and fines you, its difficult to explain him what the law and legality is. Its just not worth the hassle in my opinion.
Old 11th September 2022, 07:36   #174
BHPian

I have been using front bumper guard in my kuv100 since 2017 and so far no fine has been levied nor cops have stopped me. As far as I understand the order to ban bumper guards was put on hold due to stay order.
Attached Thumbnails
Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards-979711f9e5e54cca8ec917c7438a7c97.jpeg  

Old 11th September 2022, 07:57   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Turbo View Post
I have been using the front bumper guard in my kuv100 since 2017 and so far no fine has been levied nor cops have stopped me. As far as I understand the order to ban bumper guards was put on hold due to the stay order.
Let's leave the legal side of the story and also think about the impact on a pedestrian or other motorists. Most bumpers move at least an inch or two when the car hits a pedestrian. This sort of reduces the impact on the victim. When you put such unscientific objects on your car the following happens
1. On impact with a pedestrian, the person would suffer deeper injuries/broken bones, which may render the person immobile for life.
2. Point of impact(head to bonnet) changes, not sure how that will turn out
3. Your radiator and condenser get marginally lesser air due to the obstruction of the bull bar, the higher the speed, the more the restriction on airflow
4. Let's say your car is parked on the road following all rules etc, if motorist skids and falls, although pretty rare if he does have an impact with the bull bar, even the best helmets may not save him.

Just like a helmet is to be worn for "personal safety" and not for fear of fines. Bull bar topics should be primarily thought about from possible victims' points of view.

Remember when the cops don't find logic, they always find a person to blame. The most common thing seen is finding all modifications in a vehicle to blame it for the death of the victim.
SS80 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 14:38   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
And do also stop and fine guys who drive with all hazard lights blinking in the rains (Ignorant of the purpose of Hazzard lights)
Just FYI, the state-issued Driver's Manuals in many parts of the world would specifically instruct drivers to reduce speed and turn on their blinking hazard lights in low-visibility conditions like fog, snow, hard rain. I have a fair amount of experience driving over 40 years in all these conditions, and can attest that doing so does make vehicles much more visible that otherwise may not be, hence contributing to safety, NOT detracting from it.

IMHO too many people spending too much time thinking how to ensure maximum fine culture.

All while much more fundamental aspects of road safety are habitually ignored/ violated.

I do agree that many/ most bullbars are both practically unnecessary and moreover quite bad for pedestrian impacts - which in India (not necessarily everywhere else in the world) is a major consideration.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2022, 12:14   #177

I don't understand the laxity on part of the Govt in implementing this simple no- crash guard compulsion. It'll automatically reduce the number of accidents.
Additionally, driving full beam in a city like Mumbai is so bad & blinding. I followed up with Traffic Commissioners, JCP...nobody responds. Team BHP should take this up with the Ministry.
@Nitingadkari ji, may please take note.
Old 7th November 2022, 19:40   #178
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
Just FYI, the state-issued Driver's Manuals in many parts of the world would specifically instruct drivers to reduce speed and turn on their blinking hazard lights in low-visibility conditions like fog, snow, hard rain. I can attest that doing so does make vehicles much more visible that otherwise may not be, hence contributing to safety, NOT detracting from it.
You are absolutely right. In poor driving conditions such as heavy rain or fog or snow, these hazard lights flashing on and off definitely make that essential difference in promoting higher visibility.

Which is also why those rescue vehicles and public service vehicles outside of India, also always have their hazard lights on and flashing, when carrying out road works or other such essential duties.
Old 8th November 2022, 08:11   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just FYI, the state-issued Driver's Manuals in many parts of the world would specifically instruct drivers to reduce speed and turn on their blinking hazard lights in low-visibility conditions like fog, snow, hard rain. I have a fair amount of experience driving over 40 years in all these conditions, and can attest that doing so does make vehicles much more visible that otherwise may not be, hence contributing to safety, NOT detracting from it.

As much as i agree with you, this is a very controversial topic. Much like horns, which must Indians consider an active safety device, and a lot of other countries use as an purely emergency or offensive use. When i was in the US, the use of hazard lights was very controversial. Some states mandate their use, others ban it, there is no consensus

Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards-dq3xr3ixzvkn7c33ti73lcosei.jpeg

Last edited by greenhorn : 8th November 2022 at 08:17.
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 13:04   #180
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
You are absolutely right. In poor driving conditions such as heavy rain or fog or snow, these hazard lights flashing on and off definitely make that essential difference in promoting higher visibility.

Which is also why those rescue vehicles and public service vehicles outside of India, also always have their hazard lights on and flashing, when carrying out road works or other such essential duties.
Quote:

-Eric
Rear fog lights are for this purpose NOT Hazzard lights. The car manufacturers have researched a lot before developing it.

Let's follow the official rules and not create our own ligic.

Too many blinking lights in very heavy rains only hinders visibility fir those behind you.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks