Team-BHP - Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/193449-government-take-strict-action-against-bull-bars-crash-guards-7.html)

In fact this is a welcome development. It is ironical that many car manufacturers used to provide these bull bars and crash guards as accessories and encouraged customers to add them as fitments. The very same manufacturers use the additional fitment (and not using the car in stock form) as a ground to defend themselves in consumer complaints initiated by consumers in case the airbags do not inflate in case of an accident as the sensors are not activated due to impact being absorbed by the bull bars and crash guards. Needless to mention that these posed serious threat to pedestrians and smaller vehicles in case of an accident. I sincerely hope that it is properly and effectively enforced.

Copy of the legal opinion sought by manufacturers of bull bars.

Legal Opinion Bull Bars.pdf

It basically says that bull bars are not illegal as there is no specific law banning them. The major argument is against the genuineness of the said notification.

Lawyers!!!

If I am not mistaken, almost all of the MV Act is going to be rewritten? I hope the Govt starts putting things in order as it seems as of now that lives of us Indians are cheap, specially the pedestrians.
Crash guards are an epidemic and I think when Airbags have been made mandatory in cars - then people need to be educated as to what these contraptions can do to others and to occupants of the vehicle.
I think in the end it all comes down to our system in place, you cannot tinker one and start believing that everything will sort itself out. It needs to be a comprehensive change starting from education of the driver, MV Act, condition of our roads, fines and policing.

The lawyers and companies will do what they always do, but a firm stand putting people first needs to be the order of the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asingh1977 (Post 4327511)

Creating a plethora (sic environment) of regulatory regimes does nothing, absolutely nothing. It is our driving culture which has to change.

I agree; all that our regulatory environment does is create a breeding ground for corruption like stagnant water breeds mosquitos. We even have laws on the books that the British put in place to keep us in line. Now, these are convenient to our new lords and masters to keep us under their thumbs.

What we need is 10% of the laws we have, and ten times the enforcement of these. But that will mean reduction of corruption by 90%, we can't have that, can we? Will the poachers give up their income streams by themselves? Will the Sun rise in the west?

As to culture change, we Indians have a massive sense of personal entitlement that makes us jump queues everywhere, as an example. What we do on the roads is no different, or any less obnoxious. And the educated are often more guilty of this than others.

It will take a massive calamity of some kind to make any change that moves the culture needle visibly; I don't have hopes of anything else doing so.

Calling upon FIAT Adventure owners, Can you please post the brochure of FIAT Adventure ? that shows the bull-bar fitted to it?

Regards,
Mahadev

I first had a heartily laugh reading through the notification.

They are least bothered about pedestrian safety. In a country where drivers press the accelerator to prevent people from crossing the roads on red light, Less said than better.

It is nothing but appraisal and year end time for man in uniform. Same time, it could be a collection exercise as well for upcoming elections next year. Collections starts at least a year before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 4329491)

As to culture change, we Indians have a massive sense of personal entitlement that makes us jump queues everywhere, as an example. What we do on the roads is no different, or any less obnoxious. And the educated are often more guilty of this than others.

I fully agree. And you forgot to add how every Indian thinks he's holier than others. We are probably biggest hypocrites. And almost everyone judges everyone else but himself. Everyone thinks he's right and above law. And everyone loves to preach to others and also loves to decide for others as to what others should eat or wear or what kind of life they should lead. No wonder you see so many joy-less , fun-less screwed-up lives on roads looking for slightest excuse to explode. My rant here may sound harsh but, unfortunately, that's reality.

Some may recall that I had raised this bogey over two years ago. So finally someone wakes up. My grouse was mostly safety related.

Me too. But I think I'm right in saying that bull bars were already outlawed, or, at least, socially disapproved, in my mother country when I came here 13 years ago.

And, unlike some other restrictions that were initially unpopular, but became accepted, I don't think there was a great number of people demanding the right to cut people's legs off.

Must have been unpopular with some... Because they did exist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahadev_kc (Post 4329931)
Calling upon FIAT Adventure owners, Can you please post the brochure of FIAT Adventure ? that shows the bull-bar fitted to it?

Regards,
Mahadev

If I am correct, the Adventure went through homologation with the bull bar and it is deemed standard as it is part of the overall car length.

In anycase, I doubt that nothing much will happen. I have seen police Ertigas in Bangalore complete with chromed bull bars. If the Supreme Court passes an order then action will be seen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 4330299)

I have seen police Ertigas in Bangalore complete with chromed bull bars.

In fact, most of the Government Vehicles running in NCR including the likes of Ciaz have these bull bars/ crash guards.

Ranchi RTO has issued a public notice that any vehicles which are caught using crash guards will be fined (upto) Rs 3,000.

Expect more regional RTOs to follow suit in the days to come.

Quote:

The district transport officer (DTO) has issued a public notice asking all owners of such vehicles to comply with the Central government rule and remove the crash guards within one week's time. Crash guards include bumper guards in cars and any form of guards on two-wheelers.

"The Union ministry of road transport and highways (MoRTH) has sent a letter to ensure that vehicles do not have crash guards installed in them as it violated the Motor Vehicles Act," DTO Nangendra Paswan said on Friday.

"We have given a week's time to people to get the crash guards removed. If after a week, vehicles are found with crash guards, they will be fined Rs 1,000 on first offence, Rs. 2,000 the second time and Rs 3000 from the third offence onwards," Paswan said.
ET Auto

I'm not a biker, and generally somewhat anti! But I have always assumed that what I see in bikes is far from the car bully bars, and a valid protection of fragile legs. An I wrong?

That bars on bikes protect riders is very largely a myth. In any fall, the rider and the bike are separated and it is best for the rider's well being that this happens, and there is then no role for any such bars on the bike. The only use is of bars installed at the factory where these are designed to protect vulnerable engine parts if the bike topples over, including when parked on its stand.
The useful guards are the sari guards, and presumably, these are exempt.
PS: I can visualise cases where the after market crash guards may actually prevent the desired separation by trapping the leg, making a bad situation even worse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmat (Post 4330299)
If I am correct, the Adventure went through homologation with the bull bar and it is deemed standard as it is part of the overall car length.

I've been concerned about my Jeep too as it is one of the rare cars to come with a factory-fitted bull bar. Even if they eventually let me off (I have official Mahindra pics showing it as standard fitment), it's going to be pain to get pulled over on every drive.