Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:19   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I've been concerned about my Jeep too as it is one of the rare cars to come with a factory-fitted bull bar. Even if they eventually let me off (I have official Mahindra pics showing it as standard fitment), it's going to be pain to get pulled over on every drive.
As far as I recall the bull bar on the Classic are not protruding outside the bumper line. If so it would technically legal, plus the fact that the vehicle was sold as such from the factory.
Do correct me if I'm wrong

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 12:17   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Some information from my end.

My uncle got a Endy 3.2 yesterday and was interested in the 'nudge bar' sold as an official Ford accessory. I was also there for the delivery and hence, checked with the dealer on the recent ban on bull bars by the Govt. I shared my concern saying this accessory would be illegal now. To this, he showed me a "internal circular" which they have received from Ford regarding the recent ban on bull bars by the Govt.

This circular says that the Ford official accessory can be fitted in any customer vehicle without any concern. However, the dealer should refrain from selling/fitting any other bull bar procured locally or from other sources. The dealer was not very keen to forward this mail to us, saying it was an internal circular.

Last edited by ashis89 : 2nd January 2018 at 12:18.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 13:12   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
This circular says that the Ford official accessory can be fitted in any customer vehicle without any concern. ....
Try telling that to our I-am-the-law cops. In your very own Hydearabd, a stock Yamaha R1 was stopped at a routine traffic check and the owner was fined for having a fat "modified" rear tyre. This happened a few years back. Either that cop didn't see a stock 190 mm rear tyre on a motorcycle before OR he knew but didn't care because he had a quota of challans to be handed out. In my city too there have been some allegations of overeager cops booking cases of drunk-driving even when the extent of alcohol was within permissible limit. They just seem to want to finish their quota of challans for the day somehow and head home. Bad days ahead indeed for motorists.
pgsagar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 13:19   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Try telling that to our I-am-the-law cops.
+1 to that.

I have already shared this idea with my uncle yesterday at the dealership, explaining that it would be futile to explain this to a cop. Hope he agrees with me (like he has for all his automobile decisions) and drops the idea of the nudge bar.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 20:55   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
. To this, he showed me a "internal circular" which they have received from Ford regarding the recent ban on bull bars by the Govt.
This circular says that the Ford official accessory can be fitted in any customer vehicle without any concern.
I don't think any cop would agree that the bull-bar is official Ford accessory and hence legal.
What difference does that make to a cop whether Ford is selling it or any other after-market dealer is selling it?
To a cop, it is just another crash-guard and the dealer or Ford officials won't come to your uncle's rescue, to convince the cop that it is an official accessory.

Tell the dealer to give in writing that if ever cop's fine your uncle, the bar can be returned to him, and he will refund the cost + fine amount.

Right now, most dealers who sell big SUVs would be having a huge inventory of such bull-bars, and this ban would mean a huge loss to them.
Demand for the bars would have dropped drastically after this ban.
So dealers and manufacturers will resort to showing such pointless and legally invalid circulars and mails to unsuspecting customers, until they clear their stock of such bull-bars.

Tell your uncle not to fall for that.

This is a bolt-on accessory and can be easily fitted anytime later also.
So, tell him to postpone the bull-bar fitment to a later time like say, 2nd or 3rd free service.
By that time there would be more clarity on how this law is going to be enforced and whether such self-proclaimed "Official Accessories" are actually exempted by the cops.

When you are not even 50% sure whether a product is legal, it is wise to avoid it.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 23:12   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

I have no information other than what I have read in this thread, and even there I might have missed something, but...

Unlike the tinted-glass thing, there is no mention of factory fitted. Bullbars are illegal, whether they were fitted by Ford, Mercedes, or the tinker on the street corner.

At least bolted-on can be bolted-off. Factory-fitted might need that angle grinder...
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 22:37   #112
BHPian

Got booked today for 'Dangerous driving'. My fault; bull bar was fitted on the front of my Scorpio.
desiaztec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 23:03   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
Got booked today for 'Dangerous driving'. My fault; bull bar was fitted on the front of my Scorpio.
Get rid of it. Enough said.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 23:31   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiaztec View Post
'Dangerous driving' ... bull bar was fitted
Well, technically, yes. That's what all this is about!
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 14:34   #115
BHPian

Spotted this in Bengaluru a couple of days ago.

Are Govt. vehicles exempted from the rule or is it applicable only for the front area?
Attached Thumbnails
Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards-bullbargov.jpg  

Old 7th January 2018, 16:03   #116

Re: Are "bull bars" legal in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp171185 View Post
Recently, The Ministry of Highways and Road Transport has banned all crash guards on cars and SUVs in India.
Hi,
Is it confirmed that this crash guard ban will be implemented? I'd be most happy. I request Team BHP to take lead with support of all of us members.
Cheers!

Last edited by ampere : 7th January 2018 at 16:45. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 8th January 2018, 12:23   #117
BHPian

As I mentioned earlier, even Though I support this movement which are fitted on 4 wheels, however I am not convinced why the crash guards on a bike should be removed? The crash guard/leg guard had saved many rider from getting their leg injured. I own an activa & met with an accident few years ago, where I fell down on my left side with the activa. I can still feel the pain in my knee joint due to the fracture & ligament tear. Had there be a bike with a crash/leg guard my leg would have been saved & I could still run as fast as before! :-(

Point is if some guard is saving someone then what's the problem. Also mostly these guards are not as much protruding as cars. What will happen? Probably it may result an unnecessary scratches on our car's side panel if rider want to squeeze in between, right?

Firstly the same can happen without crash guard as well. So scratches can never be ruled out even if these guards are uninstalled from the bikes. Scratches will bound to happen once you are on road, common! Secondly, even if we agreed that scratches will only happen due to these leg guards & nnot due to anything else, then what? After all we can fix the panel & it will be as good as new, isn't it? With zero dep facility probably one need to pay some amount, that's all. Heck you can recover the entire amount from the biker as well. At least none will be physically hurt right? Because, my legs will never be like before, it cant be repaired like a car, it cant be repainted like a new one!

With no proper traffic control in most of the cities (forget about small towns), horrible road conditions (especially during monsoon when rider can not judge the depth of water filled potholes), numerous jaywalkers,etc. bikers are more vulnerable than a car driver. In an even of going over potholes & falling down these crash guards can save their legs. In an event of sudden crossing of other vehicles, biker may fall down to negotiate him, these crash guards will surely save them.

With regard to casualty due to hit by crash/leg guard, let me know how many numbers of casualties had been reported where the culprit was the leg guard & had that not been there the casualty would not have happened. Let me know the numbers.

I hope authority will re-think the matter & will issue a further notification/circular to change the words suitably.

PS: No I dont own any bike, no I am not so called "rider". I love cars, but I love lives more than that.
cp171185 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 13:12   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

There is no need for scratches if vehicles are driven properly.

I too thought that the guards on bikes served a valid safety purpose, and was corrected above. Although, of course, I accept your personal experience.
Old 8th January 2018, 17:43   #119
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

While I appreciate this rule being enforced for the front and back of cars, I do not feel it is appropriate to enforce this for bikes. It actually is safer for a biker to drive with a guard that protects his legs.

But do also remove the ridiculous blinking lights that many bikers drive around with fixed to the rear end and aimed directly at blinding the vehicles coming from behind.

And do also stop and fine guys who drive with all hazard lights blinking in the rains (Ignorant of the purpose of Hazzard lights) and drive in perfectly fine conditions with Rear fog lights on.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 02:30   #120
Senior - BHPian

Is even rear bull bar illegal? It doesn't cause pedestrian safety issues. Rear bull bars would help me prevent damage from impatient bikers.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed