Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2017, 21:07   #16
BHPian

In addition to the cars i wish the authorities seriously take notice of all kind of contraptions placed in front of autos and LCVs which are much more dangerous to other vehicles on the road
nik hill is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 23:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards

In a country where Jugaads ply freely, do we really think our ''efficient'' law enforcement agencies will act on this notification.

We are a country where orders of Supreme court are also ''conveniently ignored'' and this is just a notification.

Waseem.
Attached Thumbnails
Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards-jugaad.jpg  

Last edited by theMAG : 18th December 2017 at 07:41. Reason: Typo corrected. "aslo"="also"
SILVERWOOD is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 23:24   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
In a country where Jugaads ply freely, do we really think our ''efficient'' law enforcement agencies will act on this notification.
You seem to be forgetting the 'economics' behind enforcement of certain traffic rules.

1) It makes economic sense for authorities for let the Jugaads run (after they pay a small bribe)

2) It makes economic sense for authorities now to catch cars with bull bars. Because it -

a) helps a cop achieve targets set by his wife
b) helps a cop achieve targets set by senior authorities
SmartCat is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 17th December 2017, 23:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

It would be great if implementing this order can be taken as seriously as ban on the black filming on the car windows and screen. It's a killer for the pedestrians, two wheelers along with the damage it causes to ones vehicle.
Old 17th December 2017, 23:58   #20
Senior - BHPian

Very welcome and needed move. Not only harmful to the pedestrians (why bumpers bend/collapse easily in modern cars), but also to other vehicles and the "bulled" vehicles themselves (as most of the bull bars are unscientific and in case of higher speed crash, will cause more damage due to negating crumple zones etc based on how they're fitted)
Old 18th December 2017, 00:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
.I don't like it either but my Brezza has it as the people on bicycles, cycle rickshaw and bikes don't use their brakes but the rear bumper of the car in front to stop themselves. That's a pain.
I have the rear guard on my car for the same reason. It has saved my car rear bumper several times in Bangalore traffic.
Paradiddle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 07:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
You seem to be forgetting the 'economics' behind enforcement of certain traffic rules.
This applies to EVERY rule in India, not just the traffic rules. One main reason why there is so much corruption in India is because we have far too many rules, a breeding ground for corruption.

The end result is far too many rules, with very little compliance, voluntary or otherwise. We need exactly the opposite, but expecting that is expecting poachers to become honest game keepers.

Forget bull bars and films, we are not even able to consistently enforce the use of standard format number plates or vehicle lights that are not working. It is all a big joke, including the police making announcements of campaigns against this or that. What happens when the campaign period is over?
Sawyer is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 07:51   #23
BHPian

The notification indicates "motor vehicles" - does this also cover "bumper guard" / "crash bar" / "steel guard" which are ubiquitous on two wheelers - e.g. I've rarely seen a Honda Activa without some kind of a protective guard...
Old 18th December 2017, 08:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra and couple of other players sell these as official accessories for their SUV range.

Can the check also not cover confiscating such stuff at the dealer / seller level? This will hit them hard and they will stop bringing in these items for sale; such items have fat rather very fat margins.

Let's hope there is some action, though in the forum itself members have suggested that the usage is rampant even in Government Vehicles !
Old 18th December 2017, 09:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

There is no law that makes the sale of these things illegal, as there is for narcotics or guns. It is their use in the manner specified that is illegal.
Old 18th December 2017, 10:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Mahindra and couple of other players sell these as official accessories for their SUV range.

Can the check also not cover confiscating such stuff at the dealer / seller level? This will hit them hard and they will stop bringing in these items for sale; such items have fat rather very fat margins.

Let's hope there is some action, though in the forum itself members have suggested that the usage is rampant even in Government Vehicles !
Like in the case of loud bike silencers, these guards are perfectly legal in private roads and properties and hence they cannot be confiscated at dealer/seller level.
Paradiddle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2017, 10:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manij View Post
The notification indicates "motor vehicles" - does this also cover "bumper guard" / "crash bar" / "steel guard" which are ubiquitous on two wheelers - e.g. I've rarely seen a Honda Activa without some kind of a protective guard...
I hope it's not. I feel the crash guards in motorcycles make them a tiny bit safer in case of a fall, by saving the riders legs from being crushed under the weight of the vehicle. And don't think the science of crumple zones getting hampered by a crash guard applies to motorcycles, so it probably will not cause additional harm to pedestrians.
Thanks,
pkrish
Old 18th December 2017, 10:48   #28
BHPian

I could not believe my eyes when I saw thick metal "water pipes" being used as bull bars on cabs in Gurgaon! They are bound to rip through your car if they hit you, needless to mention they will crush legs of any pedestrians they hit!
Old 18th December 2017, 11:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrish View Post
I hope it's not. I feel the crash guards in motorcycles make them a tiny bit safer in case of a fall, by saving the riders legs from being crushed under the weight of the vehicle. And don't think the science of crumple zones getting hampered by a crash guard applies to motorcycles, so it probably will not cause additional harm to pedestrians.
Thanks,
pkrish
He is talking about this contraption in the image below. Its a dealer invented device they forcefully sell you. Most of the buyers don't even know that this is not a standard product.

Old 18th December 2017, 13:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

I have both front guard as well as rear bull bars. They have been immensely useful, truly without hurting anybody and been saving grace on many occasions from rear atleast. In last monsoon season only got saved from 2 bikers who skidded due to slippery roads, which otherwise would have costed a bomb to replace the rear bumper or carry on with ugly dents.

However, this is very good overall move.

But truly remains to see the effective implementation of the same. Hope they truly implement it unlike the Sun control films which people still adorn with aplomb without much worry. I had taken down films as per the orders. Now will need to take down the guards.

How about the accessories of FootSteps? Aren't they also hampering the body design?
I guess that would be next atleast for the ones which do not come factory fitted with the same.

Most Viewed