Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2017, 12:12   #76
BHPian

re: Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards

It's a great move if implemented properly. Personally I always hate bull bars specially in sedan and hatch, for off-roader it's required as safety features though. Even if it is implicated 100%, will it be helpful? I doubt. What about the auto and tempos with protruding rough bull bars? They are the kings on a bummer to bumper traffic, with bull bars gone from other vehicles they won't shy away from brushing us. I wish govt make another notice to mandate plastic bumpers for autos from company side.
Old 22nd December 2017, 13:26   #77
BHPian

Sorry if this has already been discussed, this is out of curiosity.
So, what will be the fate of hundreds of off roaders like the Thar and the Gypsy's with their modified bumpers to accommodate their winches and auxiliary lights? Because most of the vehicles equipped with auxiliary lights have a bull bar, as most of them are mounted on the bar itself because that's ideal.
Will they be exempted or termed illegal?
Old 22nd December 2017, 14:08   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushyanth View Post
Will they be exempted or termed illegal?
Think it this way, will you be able to convince a traffic constable somewhere on a remote highway about the technicality of the same and establish that you are not doing anything illegal. If yes, its fine. I feel it will be bit difficult once cops get on to 'drive against illegal bull bars' mode.

Terming anything as illegal, unfortunately across our country depends on the mood of traffic police. This may vary in severity based on your state/ city/ individual.
mpksuhas is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 16:41   #79
BHPian

Re: Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards

Going by this logic, Govt should also ban side guards installed in Auto Rickshaws. There have been several occasions when these autowalas simply change lane without any indication as they know that no car/suv will try to mess with their jugaad
Attached Thumbnails
Government to take strict action against bull bars & crash guards-images.jpg  

car_crazy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 19:00   #80
BHPian

Don't know if this is OT here, but here is my concern:

Why are bulldozers and the like allowed on roads alongside pedestrians and two-wheeler riders? I doubt they are safer than bull-bars. Shouldn't they be banned first? Or, is it that the lobby of construction equipment users and manufacturers have managed to somehow blind our government to the dangers of such "vehicles"?

May be someone from the government can explain?
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 20:34   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manij View Post
The notification indicates "motor vehicles" - does this also cover "bumper guard" / "crash bar" / "steel guard" which are ubiquitous on two wheelers - e.g. I've rarely seen a Honda Activa without some kind of a protective guard...
I am curious to know the answer for this.

Do we now remove the crash guards on our motorcycles?
Old 22nd December 2017, 20:35   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy View Post
Going by this logic, Govt should also ban side guards installed in Auto Rickshaws. There have been several occasions when these autowalas simply change lane without any indication as they know that no car/suv will try to mess with their jugaad
These have nearly all removed in Bangalore at least. Even Kolkata has cracked down hard.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 23:27   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Why are bulldozers and the like allowed on roads alongside pedestrians and two-wheeler riders? I doubt they are safer than bull-bars.
I doubt that they travel at much more than a fraction of the speed!

Frankly, if anyone gets hit by a bulldozer that is going fast enough, there is not going to be much left of them.

I suppose there has to be provision for the movement of such equipment. I won't go so far as to argue it myself, but it could always be argued, on a truck.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 17:17   #84
Senior - BHPian

I heard that police in trivandrum has started the drive based on this notification and a few were booked and asked to remove the bullbars.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 20:30   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I doubt that they travel at much more than a fraction of the speed!

Frankly, if anyone gets hit by a bulldozer that is going fast enough, there is not going to be much left of them.

I suppose there has to be provision for the movement of such equipment. I won't go so far as to argue it myself, but it could always be argued, on a truck.
Not to side-track this thread. But most of the times I have seen earth moving vehicles on our roads [JCB / Cranes / rollers] -- they have been smack on the right/fast lane, causing a nuisance. Rarely have I seen these behemoths on the left. Same with tractors here in Gurgaon. Pardon the French, like some cow in the middle of the road taking a dump. Grimace, swerve, and move around.

Creating a plethora (sic environment) of regulatory regimes does nothing, absolutely nothing. It is our driving culture which has to change. Even if we begin "tomorrow"; it is just not a mere generation which has to change, but anyone who is in their: 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s [ok even 15-18, since they drive here in India]. That is almost two generations. For starters one rule should be drummed into all Indian drivers: "Drive straight".
asingh1977 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 00:32   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
Creating a plethora (sic environment) of regulatory regimes does nothing, absolutely nothing.
This is not true. Whilst I appreciate that there is a huge step to be taken, which is not likely to happen, these specific instances so long as they are consistently and permanently enforced, can make a difference.

A road without bullbars is a safer place for pedestrians even if the driving doesn't change.

As a Brit, I lived through the specific imposition of both severe drink-driving laws, and compulsory seat-belt laws. They seemed, to many, like huge intrusions on civil liberty, but, none the less, they became law, the law was enforced, and people fell in line.

But if there is no enforcement, then sure, a complete waste of time.

Quote:
It is our driving culture which has to change. Even if we begin "tomorrow"; it is just not a mere generation which has to change, but anyone who is in their: 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s [ok even 15-18, since they drive here in India]. That is almost two generations. For starters one rule should be drummed into all Indian drivers: "Drive straight".
The big picture. The need for proper training, tests, and... enforcement of road discipline. We can only wonder when that might start... if ever

Bull bars may even be a small issue within the big picture. But it is am issue, and, maybe, issue by issue, progress just might be made.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2017, 10:02   #87
BHPian

One facet of this discussion is also the compensation / relief for the owners / vehicles involved in such accidents.

In most other countries, there is some respite for the victim in terms of insurance or even a court of law which s/he can approach for compensation in case the other party is at fault. There is no Out-of-pocket expense immediately after an accident, even minor. The insurance company pursues necessary legal proceedings to protect their client(s).

In India, there is absolutely NO respite. Even if you weren't at fault, you still pay out to repair your car through insurance or your money. Then you approach an archaic court system to deal with recovering your costs if at all that is possible. And if you claim insurance, then your insurance goes up even though you're not at fault.

In a fender-bender type of situation, it's mostly Might is right in Indian roads. A couple of guys on a motorbike can drive rashly and hit someone's car and then get down, thrash that guy and take money from him. No one will come to their rescue. Even after this ordeal, the victim now has to pay to repair their car for no mistake of theirs. Hence, such ingenious jugaads like bull-bars and guards continue to exist.

How would you feel after being harassed by the offender, the cops etc. just because you are in a larger vehicle and then to top it off, you get to repair your car for someone else's fault? It's easy to say it's silly, ugly and illegal. Until we get to the core of the issue - lack of a clear path for resolution for minor accidents - this will be resisted across the board.

BTW - I am not a proponent of bull-bars / guards. I am just stating my perspective on WHY people stick these darn things on their cars.
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 14:30   #88
Senior - BHPian

So Delhi transport authority swings into action and starts penalising vehicles with bulbars. Later on, they will start removing it at the spot itself.
Quote:
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/4...1/1118415.html

New Delhi, Dec 26 (PTI) The Delhi transport department today fined 45 motorists across the national capital as part of a campaign against vehicles fitted with crash or bull bars.
The Union Ministry of Road, Transport and Highways had in a missive earlier this month asked states and Union territories to take action against those who have attached crash or bull bars to their vehicles.
"Ten teams were deployed at various places to challan the vehicles fitted with crash bars. The motorists were fined Rs 500 each," said a transport department official.
Crash bars lead to safety issues for pedestrians and vehicle drivers. Using crash bars is also against the law.
Vehicles have a safety feature that is neutralised by a crash bar. During collision, certain parts of a vehicle absorb the impact, while crash bar transmits the impact to the entire body of the vehicle, causing injuries to passengers, said the official.
"The drive will be intensified in coming days with more teams pressed to challan people using crash guard on their vehicles," he said.
Vehicle fitness test centres have been directed to remove crash bars from cars during their certification process.
The department will also devise ways for removal of these guards on the spot during the drive, he added.
tanwaramit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 14:43   #89
Senior - BHPian

Does this mean that fitment of offroad bumpers for 4x4 vehicles are also illegal now ? For example most of them come with fibre bumpers, so replacing them with metal ones now is an offence ?
Old 27th December 2017, 19:32   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
So Delhi transport authority swings into action and starts penalising vehicles with bulbars. Later on, they will start removing it at the spot itself.
Quote:
... The department will also devise ways for removal of these guards on the spot during the drive, he added.
They may refer to my post suggesting chainsaws and angle grinders
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks