Team-BHP - West Bengal Transport Department's New Driver Training Manual
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   West Bengal Transport Department's New Driver Training Manual (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/197012-west-bengal-transport-departments-new-driver-training-manual.html)

The government of West Bengal has been proactively attempting to reduce road crashes and fatalities in the state for quite some time now, with their "Safe Drive, Save Life" campaign. As a part of the commendable effort, the Transport Department of the Government of West Bengal, in collaboration with the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur, has published a fairly comprehensive Driver Training Manual, which is downloadable at this link: http://transport.wb.gov.in/wp-conten...09_06_2017.pdf. A copy of the PDF file has been uploaded to Team-BHP (below). There are a few significant errors and omissions in the DTM, but presumably this is an ongoing work which should be revised and updated in the near future.

Remarkably, India does not have a similar publication issued by the central or state governments currently, and there is no approved study material regarding road rules or driving techniques, whether for learners or licensed drivers, in the country. The last such publication, the Indian Highway Safety Code, existed in the 1950's, and can be found at this thread. Numerous countries have their Highway Code published online as a downloadable PDF, including the UK Highway Code.

Maruti Driving School has a publication for learner drivers as well, titled Learn to Drive Safely (uploaded to Team BHP as well), which has a 50-page MCQ section. Given that a learner driver needs to clear a 10-question MCQ at our RTOs today with a score of 6 deemed as a pass, I doubt very many would go through the questionnaire section at all - but I hope everyone does!

LearntoDriveSafely MARUTI.pdf

At least a good start.

I just glanced through the document and noticed the part on usage of Hazard Lights, it says "Use hazard blinkers during inclement weather condition when visibility is low".

What are your views on this?

Spike

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR (Post 4373607)
At least a good start.

I just glanced through the document and noticed the part on usage of Hazard Lights, it says "Use hazard blinkers during inclement weather condition when visibility is low".

Spike

This will do more harm than good, but I have seen many seasoned highway drivers follow this.

West Bengal Transport Department's New Driver Training Manual-untitled.jpg

They forgot to add the word Centi before meter! I would pay to see people parallel parking with 1 metre to spare on each side!

Jokes apart its a great effort. The honorable transport minister should consider making driver license tests -
1. tougher
2. free of corruption
3. to be taken every 3 years.

Quote:

At least a good start.

Spike

I don't think it's a good idea. As a novice, I too used to follow it during torrential rains where visibility was actually poor. However, then I couldn't use the turn singals to indicate where I was headed.

I guess using the combination of fog lamp/rear foglamp or just the taillight is enough during rains. I guess India should also make the rear foglamp mandatory due to such varied weather conditions across the sub-continent.

Manufacturers could just reprogram their HMSL to work as rear fog lamp too. It's more sensible to me than compared to using the reverse light as a foglamp, which spoils the symmetry of design.

Quote:

I... noticed the part on usage of Hazard Lights, it says "Use hazard blinkers during inclement weather condition when visibility is low".

Indeed, there are multiple errors in the manual, and it might be a good idea to list them out on this thread for the purpose of guiding those who are not aware of them. I had already mentioned...
Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 4373181)
There are a few significant errors and omissions in the DTM, but presumably this is an ongoing work which should be revised and updated in the near future.

Quote:

My views are exactly the same as those defined in multiple driver manuals and guide books as regards best practices, and have been already placed on record on this forum:
Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 3024040)
CORRECT USE OF HAZARD LIGHTS IN FOG:
Attachment 1040709

DO NOT use your hazard lights in reduced visibility conditions while driving. Use them only when your vehicle is stopped, regardless of the weather conditions. The purpose of these flashing lights is to warn other drivers about the existence of your vehicle as a hazard to others driving past it, OR to warn others of a hazard ahead that you can see, but which may not be visible to them.

Also read: Avoid using hazard lights during fog.

In the situation that you have a car that is not equipped with fog lamps (and you do not wish to spend the paltry sum required to fix fog lamps anytime in the future), but you are travelling on a fog-bound road, you can switch on your hazard lights, only until you are sure that a vehicle coming up behind you has noticed you and slowed down sufficiently.

Under no circumstance should you continue to use hazard lights while another car is continuously following you. This may lead to "moth-effect", especially at night, and your vehicle would be the worse off if the vehicle behind you just happens to be a truck with an inebriated driver at the wheel (inebriated drivers suffer from greater "moth effect").

Also read: 'The moth effect' endangers motorists.

In addition, if you incorrectly activate your hazard lights, you are handicapped in your ability to signal your intention to turn and / or make lane changes.