Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2018, 21:18   #46
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz from Hyderabad accrues Rs. 1.8 lakh of overspeeding fines in a year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
I'm not 100% sure if you are serious or just trolling, but this gave me a good laugh.

PS: If someone is thinking of transporting life saving drugs while risking the life of others in the road - Not worth it!
Was about to ask "are you serious?" but then saw you post with this other possibility of dry wit. Hope it is the latter.
Old 25th March 2018, 22:39   #47
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz from Hyderabad accrues Rs. 1.8 lakh of overspeeding fines in a year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Yes Sir,

I too got one challan at 102 kmph when I had my Swift. After lots of highlighting it on WhatsApp and FB, the challan was removed and a +5% was accepted. Even Moderator bblost sir got a similar challan at 101 kmph.
Same experience as mine, got a ticket for about 1,435 for doing 102 km/hr when the limit was 100 km/hr.
Old 26th March 2018, 14:21   #48
BHPian

Honda Jazz car owner fined Rs 1.82 lakh for over-speeding 127 times

Its turning out very scary theses days to drive on the highways.

"According to further reports, the car has been caught exceeding the speeding limits on the city's Outer Ring Road (ORR), which is an accident-prone highway. Earlier, the speed limit on the eight-lane ORR was 120 kmph, which was later reduced to 100 kmph after numerous speeding-related accidents were reported on the road. The fine for speeding is Rs 1,435 and Honda Jazz owner's total fine amount stands at Rs 1.83 lakh currently.

"The offender is definitely sent text messages regarding the challans, but if he is not using the phone number recorded at the time of vehicle registration, he may not be receiving them. We will send his vehicle number to tollgates, and detain the vehicle. We will make sure that the vehicle owner clears all his challans soon," Deccan Chronicle quoted D.V. Ranga Reddy, the Inspector of RGI Airport Traffic Police Station."

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...840-2018-03-26

Though I am not defending the above Jazz owner, but can somebody also talk about the calibration of the speed guns?

I have speed limit of 80 km/hr on highways around me, and its not easy to keep the car below 80, car tends to cross the limit at some or other point of time and the cops catch the car.

Once you are caught, there is no option of arguing, you have to settle the case.

Last edited by GTO : 29th March 2018 at 21:22. Reason: Merged, thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 15:52   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Even being a native British national, I thought I'd better google before answering this, especially as I am increasingly out of touch with stuff there (which makes me afraid to drive in my mother country now!)

The law does not allow for any such margin for error, but day-to-day practice may do. A newspaper article may not be authoritative, but this seems to cover the topic pretty well.
I am in the UK now and have a full UK driving license. The law doesn't state anywhere in writing that speeds up to 10% above the speed limit are allowed. However, in practice, that is the norm. On a divided highway, the national speed limit of 70mph is applicable unless otherwise explicitly stated. If you are within that 70-77 bracket, you do not get a ticket. On 30mph zone, you are OK up to 32mph.

Last year there was some talk of increasing the NSL to 80mph but I heard the proposal was shot down.
Old 29th March 2018, 15:57   #50
BANNED

Looks like the news has spread like wild fire and reached the owner/company (Mylan Laboratories).

As of today, the 1.82 lakh fine has been paid by them. Funny part is, the car has managed to gather another 6 challan's costing ₹8,700 for over-speeding on the ORR.

Grand Total : ₹8400 + ₹210 = ₹8610

Honda Jazz from Hyderabad accrues Rs. 1.8 lakh of overspeeding fines in a year!-screenshot_20180329155042.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 16:04   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
As of today, the 1.82 lakh fine has been paid by them. Funny part is, the car has managed to gather another 6 challan's costing ₹8,700 for over-speeding on the ORR.
Impressive if the company paid off the fines.

Also, the pending six fines that you've highlighted are all old (Nov-17, Jan-18) so these are probably those that haven't been paid. Or Hyd police is pulling a fast one on these guys.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 17:25   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Also, the pending six fines that you've highlighted are all old (Nov-17, Jan-18).
Oops, my bad. I thought they were new ones.

May be they fell short of 9000 bucks and paid the balance amount.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 07:10   #53

I got a ticket on Hyderabad ORR for crossing the speed limit by about 20 kmph. I wanted to check if there is any post that gave the “real” upper limit. After reading this thread, I notice that it is 100 kmph and there is no margin for speedometer error :-) Surprising!

While it is a pain to read about the accidents on the ORR, I personally think it is because of few of the following primary reasons.

- There are several vehicles that go slow and I wonder why we do not have a “lower speed limit” of say, 40 kmph. I don’t think authorities should allow vehicles that move slow on ORR. Most heavy vehicles move very slow when going uphill. The fun begins when a vehicle moving at around 30 kmph would like to overtake another one that is moving around 28 kmph! The fast moving vehicles become impatient and try to weave around these vehicles. I personally think that this is one of the primary reasons for accidents on several highways.
- Over speeding. I think 120 kmph should be the limit, but do agree that one has to draw a line somewhere. After I got the ticket I set my cruise control to 100 kmph on ORR and notice that several vehicles zip past. They either don’t care for the ticket or oblivious of the fact that they will get a ticket. These vehicles weave around the other slow moving vehicles and there is no check for drunk driving, this is another reason for disasters waiting to happen. I am not sure if there are signs on ORR that inform about the ticket amount of Rs. 1400/- for over speeding!
- It is easy to fall asleep on the ORR. For most people it is the final stretch before reaching home after a long drive or for those returning home after a long day’s work. The banking angle is good and if one is going at a constant speed, you need not have to do anything with your vehicle other than sleeping :-) One has to be cautious and watch out for vehicles drifting lanes.
- Lane discipline. Especially during night several cab drivers tend to drive on the “white lane separator line”. I fail to understand the logic as to why they do it, of course there are several theories. Not to single-out a section of the drivers, heavy vehicles and private vehicles also drift to other lanes while driving on a curve even when the banking on the road is excellent. While entering a curve you are not assured of “right-of-way” on the lane you are driving on!

If the objective of authorities in issuing the tickets is to reduce accidents, I am not sure how these other aspects can be handled! One might argue that there should be a beginning somewhere and I agree that it is a step in the right direction.

Not sure when we can expect “Autobahn” like discipline in India. The slow moving trucks move one behind the other on a single lane while the fast moving vehicles move at speeds over 200 kmph. On a 4-6 lane road, it is a pleasure to watch German discipline at work.
vidyHyd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 19:58   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post
Sorry, you are right about the word. It is Abetment, not Abatement. Covered under 112/183(2) of Motor Vehicle Act.

Still don't really understand what it really implies in this sense.
You tell your driver (say you are in a taxi, or being chauffeured) to over-speed, you get slapped with a ₹300 fine (depending on the state, it's ₹360 in Gurgoan for instance).
Old 12th November 2020, 21:20   #55
BHPian

This guy still has fines left pending. 2k in dues
Old 13th November 2020, 09:09   #56

Paying the fines is all fine and done, but shouldnt his license be suspended for such frequent violations , even after news gets published fines don't seem to be a deterrent to his speeding ways

Most Viewed