Team-BHP > Road Safety

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2018, 14:43   #1
BHPian

Honda Jazz from Hyderabad accrues Rs. 1.8 lakh of overspeeding fines in a year!

Q: How much a vehicle can be fined for it's over speeding violation in year ?
Ans: INR 182245

This feat was achieved by a Honda Jazz on Hyderabad ORR for 2017-2018 (till date).

Go to the below link and search for the number TS09ER2957.

https://www.echallan.org/publicview/

@Mods: If this does not deserve a new thread, please merge with some existing thread.

Image Source: TELANGANA STATE POLICE INTEGRATED ECHALLAN SYSTEM portal.
Copy rights to the respective owner.

Sample pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz from Hyderabad accrues Rs. 1.8 lakh of overspeeding fines in a year!-jazz.png  

Honda Jazz from Hyderabad accrues Rs. 1.8 lakh of overspeeding fines in a year!-jazz-1.jpg  

Honda Jazz from Hyderabad accrues Rs. 1.8 lakh of overspeeding fines in a year!-jazz-2.jpg  

Hickstead is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 14:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Jazz from Hyderabad accrues Rs. 1.8 lakh of overspeeding fines in a year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Q: How much a vehicle can be fined for it's over speeding violation in year ?
Ans: INR 182245

If I remember correctly this record was broken by a single Bangalore bound Volvo in one night at various camera traps across Kerala, the over a single night. The fine was in the tune of 2.75 Lacs.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 14:52   #3
BANNED

re: Honda Jazz from Hyderabad accrues Rs. 1.8 lakh of overspeeding fines in a year!

If this car ever gets sold without clearing all those speeding tickets the new owner will be in for a surprise during transfer process. In Kerala the transfer won't happen till all pending fines are cleared and I suppose it must be the same there.
Sankar is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 15:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Think about it, if the person is commuting from his home to office, and he is consistently overspeeding, he should be stopped by some traffic cop somewhere along the way. If the camera's are going to capture him at multiple places on his journey and charge him multiple fines, then its ridiculous. That means, if tomorrow they install additional cameras on the same route, the fine will be more, and if they uninstall some cameras, the fine will be less. So the fine is not only a function of the offence but also based on number of cameras installed. In a way, it also exposes the absurdity of the initiative.

Secondly, the speed limits in most indian cities are set so low that almost everyone breaks the law. Also, if some poor bloke is penalized such a huge amount for overspeeding, then the penalty for graver offences like drunk driving should be much more, but that's not the case. IMO, if this case is reviewed logically, the penalty should should drop significantly.

Last edited by Lalvaz : 22nd March 2018 at 15:49.
Lalvaz is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 15:52   #5
BHPian

Wow that's a lot tickets. Although, I still feel 1400 is not as steep as the speeding charges charged by other European and American countries. I mean I remember paying 280 Euro i.e. approximately INR 18,000 for a single speeding ticket and that to for a 10 kmph speed difference.

Also I don't think they have fines for late payments but out there if the ticket was not paid by a specified date than the owner would have to pay high interest charges as well.
Ankoor is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 16:09   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Secondly, the speed limits in most indian cities are set so low that almost everyone breaks the law.
This dude was caught clocking 160 kmph on a city road - see the image on first post.
SmartCat is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 16:13   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
This dude was caught clocking 160 kmph on a city road - see the image on first post.
And now I am waiting for a fresh article in the making by some very obvious automotive portals with a headline:

'You know Honda Jazz can hit some serious speeds, that too on daily basis'

And the bottom of the article will have a write-up about How to attain maximum speed from your car.
paragsachania is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 16:17   #8
BHPian

Quote:
But it was on Outer Ring Road which was a driver's paradise in Hyderabad and was a venue for huge number of accidents due to over speeding.

Last edited by Hickstead : 22nd March 2018 at 16:22.
Hickstead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 16:32   #9
BHPian

I for one do not support over speeding or driving recklessly, but I have a genuine query regarding the way they measure speed and challan us!

Having lived in the UK for over 5 years and having a UK driving license for 4 of those years, I find it ridiculous the way they challan us here!

If you are in a 100kmph zone, the law in the UK safely allows for up to 10% margin of error. Hence its assumed that upto 110kmph is ok. People who have driven in the UK will vouch for me and agree that at the national speed limit which is 70mph, people safely do 75mph. This is to allow for the car speedometer error which may show readings incorrectly up to 10%.

In India, I have been fined on the Bangalore airport road for doing 81kmph in an 80kmph zone! Gawd! How would I even know?

Same applies in this case here too! I am seeing examples of challans for 127kmph in a 120kmph zone! Or another example where the speed limit is 105kmph and the said car was doing 112kmph!

I would genuinely like to know if the law/ speed measuring gives any leeway for speedometer error at all! Or is it the law implementers enforcing the rule without due consideration for leeway?

Sorry for going Off-topic! But have been itching to ask this to someone for ages!
laxmanrk is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 16:43   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

What is the point in just accumulating the fine amount without taking any action? 127 violations for over-speeding in less than one year is too much to be ignored. This system is useless unless they start taking actions against the violators.

Last edited by arun_josie : 22nd March 2018 at 16:59.
arun_josie is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 16:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Poor dude, he got trapped several times and he was blissfully unaware of it! It happened to a friend of mine also, who was shocked to see around 84000 INR pending eChallans for speeding on the ORR. He used to often visit the Go-Karting site at Shamshabad airport via ORR from Gachibowli.

He did not know that the speed limit was reduced to 100 kmph a few months ago from the earlier limit of 120. They had to do it owing to a spate of fatal accidents on that 120 km long stretch, which is very alluring for high speeds.

I have stopped using the ORR for a couple of years because i mostly use the PVNRE to the airport from home, which is shorter by 17 kms. But I must confess that I had done crazy speeds on it when the limit was higher, and there were no speed guns!

I do know that a moderator on this forum was fined for doing 102 kmph where the limit was 100. I believe he approached the authorities and they perhaps rolled back the challan.

Even the cops on Bangalore on the Hebbal to Devanahalli stretch told a friend of mine that they allow a margin of 5 kmph over the limit of 80, so I guess it should be the same everywhere.
vnabhi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 16:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Secondly, the speed limits in most indian cities are set so low that almost everyone breaks the law.
That is no reason to break the law. You could try to ask the authorities for the reason for this and maybe that'll give you the clear picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post
I would genuinely like to know if the law/ speed measuring gives any leeway for speedometer error at all! Or is it the law implementers enforcing the rule without due consideration for leeway?
There's a reason its called as Speed Limit. Further, most cars will have a -ve speedo error, i.e. actual speed will be lower than indicated speed. So you are safe as long as you keep the needle on the limit. Problems start when the car has upsized / different spec tyres that could cause an error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
What is the point in just accumulating the fine amount without taking any action? 127 violations for over-speeding in less than one year is too much to be ignored. This system is useless unless they start taking actions on the violators.
Indian bureaucracy! I just hope someone from the authorities sees this and impounds the car next time it's spotted. An example needs to be made - if they are not fined and money is not taken from them, we look like fools to follow the speed limits.

Last edited by blackwasp : 22nd March 2018 at 16:54.
blackwasp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 17:07   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
What is the point in just accumulating the fine amount without taking any action? 127 violations for over-speeding in less than one year is too much to be ignored. This system is useless unless they start taking actions against the violators.
Its called luck by chance. Cops suddenly flag you down, enter the number on their handheld device and voila!!...Jackpot!

Remember this?

Honda Jazz from Hyderabad accrues Rs. 1.8 lakh of overspeeding fines in a year!-screenshot_20171108133148.jpg

Link (Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation) to the post.

This rick had 32 traffic violations and was running all over the city for months as if it was a marathon, carefree!

Although I am not comparing these 2 violations, it is only a fact that how the system despite of digitization and all that gung-ho on social media trying to pat your own back for good deeds done for the benefit of commuters/citizens completely becomes a laughing stock when we see instances like these.

The second biggest reason for stockpiling of fine amounts is because most of the owners do not change their address at all and the notices sent would have never reached them.

Last edited by paragsachania : 22nd March 2018 at 17:09.
paragsachania is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2018, 17:22   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
If this car ever gets sold without clearing all those speeding tickets the new owner will be in for a surprise during transfer process. In Kerala the transfer won't happen till all pending fines are cleared and I suppose it must be the same there.
I defer to agree with you. I did sell my Swift in April with pending speeding ticket.
I think there are two departments issuing speeding tickets. Some cameras are the property of Kerala MVD where as some others are from Kerala Police.
The ticket which was pending during sales was from Kerala Police. I noticed that accidently sometime after 6 months of sale (just wanted to know if the car was driven hard ). The ticket was from Kerala Police which occurred sometime in Dec 2016, the car was sold in Apr 2017 and the ticket was closed in Oct, 2017.
Old 22nd March 2018, 17:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out, but I was'nt defending him or asking for the penalty to be waived. I'm just pointing out the ridiculousness of a system which allows someone to drive on at reckless speeds and merrily keeps incrementing the amount based on the amount of cameras he crosses.

Also, the penalty has to be proportionate to the offence. Surely you don't think this penalty is justified for speeding. These are outlier cases and have to be dealt with accordingly.
Lalvaz is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed