Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2018, 18:01   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz from Hyderabad accrues Rs. 1.8 lakh of overspeeding fines in a year!

The car is owned by a pharma company called Mylan. The vehicle could have been driven by multiple owners.

The company says it makes high quality medicines. Were they transporting emergency medicines? Maybe they knew they were breaking rules and still did it to save patients? More information will put forward the facts I guess.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2018, 20:39   #32
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz from Hyderabad accrues Rs. 1.8 lakh of overspeeding fines in a year!

I think the authorities should install and automated messaging system so that a message is automatically generated to the owner of the vehicle for intimating him/her regarding violation of any traffic rules.

Instead of taking a rational action as mentioned above I'm afraid that authorities might install ridiculous speed breakers throughout the stretch to curb overspeeding.
Old 24th March 2018, 04:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

This is a 8 lane highway covering the complete city outskirts which earlier had a speed limit of 120 kmph that is now down to 100 kmph. The upper limit for issuing a challan on the ORR is 105 kmph currently.
Are you sure about this 105 kmph limit. Around 6 months back we paid overspeeding challan on ORR for 1435 where the speed was 101kmph

On Orr the photographers are located in certain pockets in the center of the median. As long as you do speeds less than 100kmph one should really spot them.

Infact cruise control is a big boon for driving on the orr
Old 24th March 2018, 08:30   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Are you sure about this 105 kmph limit. Around 6 months back we paid overspeeding challan on ORR for 1435 where the speed was 101kmph
Yes Sir,

I too got one challan at 102 kmph when I had my Swift. After lots of highlighting it on WhatsApp and FB, the challan was removed and a +5% was accepted. Even Moderator bblost sir got a similar challan at 101 kmph.

I remember seeing Speed Zone: 105 kmph.

Have a look at the different Speed Zones in the two images below. I am not sure if it is correct or some kind of error that the HTP guys haven't noticed.

Honda Jazz from Hyderabad accrues Rs. 1.8 lakh of overspeeding fines in a year!-screenshot_20180324082450_01.jpg

Honda Jazz from Hyderabad accrues Rs. 1.8 lakh of overspeeding fines in a year!-screenshot_20180324082431_01.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 10:59   #35
BHPian

Slightly OT: From the second image one can observe that the rear wheel on right hand side is a steel/stepney wheel. Isn't it unsafe to do such high speed with stepney wheel? Don't the manufacturers stress on maintaining max speed of 80km/h when car is running on stepney, because generally stepney is a size smaller than the actual alloy wheel size generally.

Last edited by Storm2.0 : 24th March 2018 at 11:01. Reason: Typo error
Old 24th March 2018, 12:08   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Slightly OT: From the second image one can observe that the rear wheel on right hand side is a steel/stepney wheel. Isn't it unsafe to do such high speed with stepney wheel? Don't the manufacturers stress on maintaining max speed of 80km/h when car is running on stepney, because generally stepney is a size smaller than the actual alloy wheel size generally.
Only if the tyres are Space saver tyres.

I believe the Honda still has a fully functional spare tyre. Generally, the German makers opt for space-saver tyres.

Side note, if the driver was reckless to drive at such great speeds for such a long time, he/she could have been a dunce to ignore the space saver tyre limits too.
Old 24th March 2018, 12:37   #37
BHPian

I was fined by Kolkata police yesterday, for "Abatement of Overspeeding".

No idea what it means, usually abatement to a crime means helping or instigating someone else into doing a crime

I was not over speeding, was doing around 45-50 in a 60km/h zone. Was not going to argue with the police. Not worth the headache over Rs 300.
Old 24th March 2018, 12:51   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
The car is owned by a pharma company called Mylan. The vehicle could have been driven by multiple owners.

The company says it makes high quality medicines. Were they transporting emergency medicines? Maybe they knew they were breaking rules and still did it to save patients? More information will put forward the facts I guess.
I would not bet too much on that. It might be a co-incidence, nothing more. It's not like you are delivering a made-to-order pizza. A company with it's size ought to have a better system of delivering drugs than using a "speeding Honda Jazz".

That said, why can't the police issue a warrant or something if the fine amount exceeds a threshold, what's the point of piling on the fines? End of the day, you want to discourage people from speeding. But this doesn't seem like an effective strategy of fining and keeping quiet.

If tomorrow this guys gets into an accident, shouldn't the traffic police be also liable, since they knew the history of this guy and yet, do nothing to stop him from doing/repeating this again.
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 13:39   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts1506 View Post
I was fined by Kolkata police yesterday, for "Abatement of Overspeeding".

No idea what it means, usually abatement to a crime means helping or instigating someone else into doing a crime *SNIP*
The word you're looking for is "abetment" or "abetting"; not "abatement". "Abatement" means "to end" or "to subside" or "to reduce". "Abetment" means "to aid" or "to help" or "to assist".

Cheers
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 13:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
The word you're looking for is "abetment" or "abetting"; not "abatement". "Abatement" means "to end" or "to subside" or "to reduce". "Abetment" means "to aid" or "to help" or "to assist".

Cheers
Sorry, you are right about the word. It is Abetment, not Abatement. Covered under 112/183(2) of Motor Vehicle Act.

Still don't really understand what it really implies in this sense.
Old 24th March 2018, 18:43   #41
BHPian

Just happened to check this car registeration on Vahan sms service.
This car is on lease. What if the lessee does not pay?
Reality is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2018, 19:37   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality View Post
This car is on lease. What if the lessee does not pay?
It will be the actual owner of the car who has to pay and he/they will recover from the person who has leased that car from them.
Old 25th March 2018, 14:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
I'm not 100% sure if you are serious or just trolling, but this gave me a good laugh.
I'm sure one "ace" film director, who is a avid twitter enthusiast will make a movie using this single line (like he usually does with his other movies).

PS: If someone is thinking of transporting life saving drugs while risking the life of others in the road - Not worth it!
Old 25th March 2018, 15:40   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like this news is now spreading fast, i came across this in Tamil daily - Dinamalar. Title: "Honda Jazz Car gets Fine Of Rs 1.8 Lakh For over Speeding" and top speed of 163 Kmph.

Last edited by arun_josie : 25th March 2018 at 15:44.
Old 25th March 2018, 16:09   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post
I for one do not support over speeding or driving recklessly, but I have a genuine query regarding the way they measure speed and challan us!

Having lived in the UK for over 5 years and having a UK driving license for 4 of those years, I find it ridiculous the way they challan us here!

If you are in a 100kmph zone, the law in the UK safely allows for up to 10% margin of error. Hence its assumed that upto 110kmph is ok. People who have driven in the UK will vouch for me and agree that at the national speed limit which is 70mph, people safely do 75mph. This is to allow for the car speedometer error which may show readings incorrectly up to 10%.
Even being a native British national, I thought I'd better google before answering this, especially as I am increasingly out of touch with stuff there (which makes me afraid to drive in my mother country now!)

The law does not allow for any such margin for error, but day-to-day practice may do. A newspaper article may not be authoritative, but this seems to cover the topic pretty well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks