Team-BHP - IIHS: Rising SUV sales linked to higher pedestrian fatalities in the US
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Road Safety (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/)
-   -   IIHS: Rising SUV sales linked to higher pedestrian fatalities in the US (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-safety/198409-iihs-rising-suv-sales-linked-higher-pedestrian-fatalities-us.html)

A recent Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) study has revealed that pedestrian deaths have been increasing since 2009, when they were at the lowest. It has also found out that SUVs make up the largest share of the vehicles involved, corroborating a previous report which said that SUVs, vans and pickups pose a higher risk to pedestrians.

In 2016, 5,987 pedestrians were killed in the USA, representing a 16% share in the total crash fatalities. IIHS looked at crash data from 2009 to 2016 to analyse the reasons for this increase. The crash data included the relative number of pedestrian deaths when compared to the total number of pedestrians involved in accidents, the environment, road types involved as well as the time of the day.

In 2015, the pedestrian fatality numbers per 100 crashes was 29% more than the 2010 figures. 2010 saw the lowest fatalities. Further, urban areas, arterial roads and nonintersections saw an increase of 54%, 67% and 50% respectively. The period also saw a 56% increase in fatal crashes involving low light conditions. In 2016, 4,453 pedestrians were involved in fatal crashes in the dark, compared to 1,290 in daytime and 205 at dawn or dusk.

One more figure that stood out was the 81% increase in fatal single-vehicle crashes involving SUVs. The researchers also noted that the there was an increase in the number of crash vehicles with a higher power-to-weight ratio. Amongst age groups, people aged 20-69 saw the highest increase in pedestrian fatalities.

The IIHS has also suggested measures that will improve the safety of pedestrians. These include installing a pedestrian activated beacons at crossings, better road illumination and curb extensions.

Vehicles equipped with front crash prevention systems have shown a lesser percentage of fatal injuries to pedestrians when compared to cars that are not equipped with the technology. A front-end redesign for bigger vehicles like SUVs has also been recommended as such vehicles are likely to strike a pedestrian in the chest or head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4odEiM1C0rA

Source - IIHS

Link to the Team-BHP News

I hope our rule makers are not reading this, if not...

Those smart rule makers: Aahaa ! Yet another way to blame the SUVs and levy higher taxes on them. Let's impose Red tax cess of 1% on SUVs now - Just like the green cess of 1% that is already being levied. Anyway nobody is going to question where or for what this cess levied is going to be used.

On a serious note, why not link these to the real root cause - insensibility of the drivers and the carelessness of the pedestrians, and try addressing that instead? :Frustrati

Not only pedestrians, but even motorcyclists. I don't think there's any doubt that a 2,000 kilo SUV with that momentum (the sheer mass!!!) & huge front-end will injure a lot more people than a pedestrian-friendly low slung sedan or hatchback. The situation is even worse in India - imagine being at the receiving end of a Scorpio or Safari with a bull bar.

With Indian road manners being what they are, we should start a thread on 'pedestrian safety' (like our highway driving tips article). Pro tip #1 = Always walk on the other side of the road facing the traffic. I never walk in the direction of traffic for the fear of being hit by a car behind me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4399045)
Pro tip #1 = Always walk on the other side of the road facing the traffic. I never walk in the direction of traffic for fear of being hit by a car behind me.

+100 to this! I have tried explaining this to a lot of folks, but many of them just don't get it. This is especially critical on roads that are not pedestrian friendly (I follow this habit irrespective)

Another common habit that angers me is when parents do not lift their kids while crossing a busy road. Most of the times they hold the kid's hand. Have seen more than one instance where the kid gets hit or is at risk of getting hit because he/she has walked forward while the parent has not moved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4399045)
With Indian road manners being what they are, we should start a thread on 'pedestrian safety' (like our highway driving tips article). Pro tip #1 = Always walk on the other side of the road facing the traffic. I never walk in the direction of traffic for the fear of being hit by a car behind me.

Alas GTO! Here in South-Western Chennai at least, on roads with long & undivided medians, cars, autos and motorcycles are driven at high speeds with their lights on (as if the lights help) on the wrong side. Pedestrians following this formula (walking while facing oncoming traffic) are often struck. Nobody expects a car to come up from behind them when walking on the other side.

Call me a coward, but I take my time to make a crossing. I don’t want to calculate the speed of the vehicle and read the mind of the driver when I am pedestrian. I’m the weakest link on the roads. I have tried drilling the same to my better half, but to no avail. I’m perpetually worried about her crossing roads. She has the typical Indian attitude of trying to outsmart the driver, that too the typical Indian driver who presses the accelerator on seeing someone trying to cross the roads.

I have made an embargo on her to cross roads as much as possible and make sure she uses a cab or rick for 99% of time. I have to hope for the best , with people like her. And the sad part is that she thinks I’m making a big issue out of it and thinks I’m paranoid. She says she never had any issues with her way of road crossing! Hope my daughter never learns her way though. Is there any way to educate people like her?

Isn't there a direct correlation between SUVs related fatalities and the crude, ostentatious bull bars (which adorn so many SUVs) fabricated with zero engineering inputs ?:Frustrati

SUV's due to their bulk are late to brake and not so easy to maneuver.
Due to width, chances of them cutting past a pedestrian in emergency is slim.

In a very high SUV ( I mean the front end is noticeably higher than other SUV's ) like endeavor, I shudder to think what would happen to a pedestrian, chances are he/she will go under the SUV rather than get tossed over, increasing chances of fatality.

Regarding walking on wrong side, in Pune you need to look in both directions to cross a road since wrong side driving is a normal thing in most places.:Frustrati

This is important in India as the number of SUVs driven in rural areas is more (Bolero and Force motors') and I am not sure if they adhere to any safety standards.
Also, its very important to teach pedestrian safety in schools as well as driving tests, not sure if that is already done.