Source

The features made mandatory are:
  • Advanced emergency braking
  • Alcohol interlock installation facilitation
  • Drowsiness and attention detection
  • Event (accident) data recorder
  • Emergency stop signal
  • Full-width frontal occupant protection crash test and improved seatbelts
  • Head impact zone enlargement for pedestrians and cyclists, as well as safety glass
  • Intelligent speed assistance
  • Lane keeping assist
  • Pole side impact occupant protection
  • Reversing camera or detection system

Some cars already offer features on the list (for eg: my Octavia from 2015 already had AEB and attention detection as standard) and many new cars offer lane assistant as standard and include event data recorder. Reverse sensor/camera are also widely offered. Intelligent speed assistance seems to be traffic sign recognition (which is offered by many cars) plus automatic speed adjustment to speed limits.

Last edited by StarrySky : 31st May 2018 at 17:33.
StarrySky is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 17:51   #2
BHPian

Re: EU makes 11 safety features mandatory in cars from 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
The features made mandatory are:
  • Advanced emergency braking
  • Alcohol interlock installation facilitation
  • Drowsiness and attention detection
  • Event (accident) data recorder
  • Emergency stop signal
  • Full-width frontal occupant protection crash test and improved seatbelts
  • Head impact zone enlargement for pedestrians and cyclists, as well as safety glass
  • Intelligent speed assistance
  • Lane keeping assist
  • Pole side impact occupant protection
  • Reversing camera or detection system
OMG ! Stop beating around the bush & just make 'Auto-Pilot' mandatory I say !

It's pretty clear we as humans are pretty bad at this so called driving thing !

Does anybody else feel that we're rapidly devolving into an SJW-ruled nanny state ?

I mean, the inter-terminus shuttles at Heathrow have animations showing bald men, do we have to be so inclusive as to include the hair-less as well ?

Before the aforementioned unfortunate jump on my little rant, I'd like it be known that I'm well on my way to joining their fray - so, peace !

Last edited by im_srini : 31st May 2018 at 17:55.
im_srini is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 10:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Alcohol interlock installation facilitation
I'm surprised to find this. All the other safety systems are available in some form or the other, even on some cars in India. IMHO, the auto braking, improvement in pedestrian and cyclist protection, lane assist etc. are the important ones to concentrate on. And this change can be brought by only via legislation, which I'm happy to see being taken up by EU.

Coming back to the alcohol interlock, how is this supposed to work? Do you blow into a tube every time you want to start? This is the only cumbersome system, not only for testing but also for the driver. While I agree on the intensions, I'm sure better awareness campaigns, etc. would be better in this regard.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2018, 14:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Coming back to the alcohol interlock, how is this supposed to work? Do you blow into a tube every time you want to start?
Yes, this link gives more information.

However, I suppose that cars won't come equipped with these breath analyzers. The feature mentions only "alcohol interlock installation facilitation", so I guess it will only have some pre-installed parts to make it easier to install the interlock. The interlock equipment may be installed in the cars of only those who are caught for DUI.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2018, 22:22   #5
BHPian

I assume "Full-width frontal occupant protection" would imply that knee airbags will be required. Why side/curtain airbags are not important enough to be made mandatory?

Last edited by mohan41 : 11th June 2018 at 22:24.
Old 11th June 2018, 22:32   #6
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this link gives more information.

However, I suppose that cars won't come equipped with these breath analyzers. The feature mentions only "alcohol interlock installation facilitation", so I guess it will only have some pre-installed parts to make it easier to install the interlock. The interlock equipment may be installed in the cars of only those who are caught for DUI.
I am sure people will find some nice innovative ideas around it. Get a friend or someone else to blow into the tube before if you are drunk.
Old 11th June 2018, 22:42   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I am sure people will find some nice innovative ideas around it. Get a friend or someone else to blow into the tube before if you are drunk.

Check the statistics as mentioned in the link. They are pretty effective. Would you blow into the tube on behalf of your drunk friend? If I ever had to have one of these devices fitted I would hope my friends would not!

Any system can be bypassed in some clever way, no doubt. On this one the penalty would be very very high. Even so, there will always be the odd idiot who will try. Emphasis on odd, the vast majority of people with this device fitted will not. At least not in most western countries. Drinking and driving is just not done anymore. You will find yourself in social isolation very quickly these days if you think otherwise. Took three decades of campaigning and legislation, mind you.

Jeroen

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks